Never Shoot At A Fleeing Felon

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Nemo, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Just don't do it.

Nemo

2. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Even if he just committed a violent crime and his gun is still in his hand being a threat to the public?

3. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

What does Virginia state law about a citizen's arrest for a violent felony committed in front of the arresting citizen? Is there any statute in VA that authorizes warrantless arrests in the field by persons other than certified law-enforcement or peace officers or constables ? Is the common law of arrest with a "hue and cry" that we had in England and which was brought to the American colonies still intact?

4. mrhutch

mrhutch Well-Known Member

He would have been good to go in Texas.

Shoot em faster so they don't have time to run.

blind_shake likes this.
  5. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

There isn't enough info presented here to determine what happened inside or outside the store. Did the perp shoot at the clerk inside or outside? Maybe some earlier articles may have had more details but I can't find anything.

6. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

Anytime you shoot at a fleeing perpetrator your actions will be questioned. Whether your actions are legal are not are going to depend on circumstances and where the incident took place.

7. Nemo

Crook was fleeing away from the crime scene. Storekeeper was no longer imminent danger where lethal force was necessary to keep him from serious harm.

What either did earlier is irrelevant. The only things that matter was what was happening in the few seconds prior to the shots fired by the storekeeper. If he was in serious danger, its a clean shoot. Not in serious danger, bad shoot. Its just that simple.

You don't get to kill someone because they threatened you and ran away and might harm someone in 30 seconds or 3 minutes or 3 days.

Bad shoot by the storekeeper.

Nemo

8. Smilodon

Smilodon Active Member

I imagine that once you are in a gun fight it is difficult to disengage just because the perp starts to run away from you. You would be too jacked up at that moment to withdraw from the fight.

9. moe mensale

But we don't know that. There's no details as to whether the robber was still engaging the clerk. I don't have any empathy for the robber but I also don't have enough info to say whether this was a good or bad shoot by the clerk.

10. mrhutch

Frankly if you commit a violent crime with a weapon, I'd rather you be shot. I don't care if it is in the back while you run away to be a criminal somewhere else later. Violent offenders are repeat offenders who typically escalate.

11. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Recidivism isn't the issue, and can NEVER be a factor that justifies deadly force.
    The question is whether that armed fleeing felon is an imminent danger to people in the immediate vicinity-- and it's too much of a risk to let the criminal get away, because WITHIN MINUTES he might hurt somebody else, kidnap or carjack somebody, etc.

The future crimes he may commit in minutes or hours is the issue.
    Not speculation about future crimes he may commit days, weeks, or years from now.

12. mrhutch

I know what the law says.

I meant what the law should be.

Violent offenders should be dead offenders.

13. Nemo

Read the last paragraph of the article cited in Post #1 above. Copied below.

Nemo

Bold added

14. Nemo

If so you need more training, more intense training, staying out of any areas where it might occur or just to stop carrying.

Nemo

blind_shake likes this.
  15. moe mensale

Yeah, I read that and that's why I posited my question. It say nothing about whether Harris was shooting back at or threatening the clerk. It might be implied but I'd rather know for sure.

16. Savannah Dan

Savannah Dan Cross-drawer

When I used to deer hunt I could sometimes get a running buck to stop so I could get a good shot by whistling or yelling real loud. In this case a loud 'Yo b!tch!' might have caused a frontal shot to present itself.

(In the interest of full disclosure; the buck didn't always stop, and if he did I didn't always get a shot, and when I did get a shot, about half of the time both of us made it home safely anyway.)

Smilodon likes this.
  17. diamondback

diamondback Well-Known Member

Unless you are a cop it will usually end bad. In decent times people were taught when you choose behavior you choose the result and the guy chose to try to rob the place thus he got shot. Now i know this is not a popular view of justice but dead thugs don't rob, rape, or kill again. I wonder if he can make the claim that is available in some states the robber could have been a threat to someone else and thus shooting saved lives.

18. moe mensale

hmmmmmmmmmmm............ :popcorn:

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news...Egi2mc_e7QFgWxa04jkcnDKMiklWKYeUqJn10TUVyYkWI