Neighborhood Kids

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by cbp0229, Jan 16, 2011.

1. cbp0229

cbp0229 Member

Right next door to my house, I have an empty lot that belongs to the homeowner's association. It's a fairly big (wide open) space and the neighborhood kids like to gather there to play football. The problem is that they are way too loud... cussing and everything else. Every once in a while, a fight will break out and spill into my yard and one time it spilled over into my back porch. They were knocking my trash cans over and slamming each other up against my house. Of course I called the police and they scattered once officers arrived. They are so loud, I can't even concentrate inside my own house sometimes... that's how loud they are!

I am now heavily involved in my neighborhood watch association and the home owners association board has said they don't want the kids playing over there anymore... yet I can't get them to put up No Trespassing signs or turn the empty lot in a green space with trees/bushes, etc. It's getting really annoying. We had some local police officers involved in the watch program but now every time we call them, they are no longer available.

I do call the police (non-emergency #) every time they show up to play football or baseball and the officers do a excellent job of running them off, but if I can get the board on the association to do something with the land, my life would be so much easier. I wouldn't mind that the kids played over there if they weren't so loud and stayed off my property. I'm not trying to be a grumpy old Grinch or anything but this is getting ridiculous. The same kids keep coming back they were previously ran off. Thanks for letting me vent :)

2. elandil

elandil Redneck Engineer

Simple.

Pull aside a member of the board, and kindly remind them that if one of the kids gets hurt over there, in this day and time the parents would most likely sue, and since the HOA board is the property owner, that means the board would have to pay.

Of course, if it's HOA property, and you are a member of the HOA, then technically the land belongs to you and every other member. Including the parents of the kids.

3. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

put out poison ivy :twisted: jp dont do that...i guess just keep calling the police maybe you can have the police trespass them??

4. atlsrt44

atlsrt44 Well-Known Member

get on the board

5. drtybykr

drtybykr New Member

6. gruntpain1775

gruntpain1775 New Member

7. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

Plant it in Bitter Orange!
    The thorns are about two inches long.

8. jlcnuke

jlcnuke New Member

video camera- get close ups of each of the kids faces and audio of their activities. Distribute copies to all the parents and the HOA including information on the various laws they are breaking. Include a note that next time you will ask police to charge the kids for the crimes (16-11-39, 16-7-21 and whatever else you can think of). Anonymous or not, your choice.

Maybe the parents will decide they need to do some parenting

9. BSCLibertarian

BSCLibertarian I'm kind of a big deal

Grab one of them and beat the crap out of him in front of all his friends. IANAL

:righton:

10. futureusr

futureusr A Typical Cat

This seems the most likely to inspire the HOA. Lacking that, perhaps permission from the HOA to keep a large dog chained in the lot.

11. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

1. Put up a sturdy fence if your HOA will let you do so.
    2. Install deterrent foliage. Hardy, low maintenance, and 2-3" thorns work well.
    3. Get to know your HOA board and work on a special park project. Be ready to contribute money if the budget is tight.
    4. Run for the HOA board and attempt step 3 until successful. Include dawn to dusk signage.
    5. Move to a location where you can put a barrier wall around your 100 acres and be left completely alone.

Step 3 above requires at least 3 different drawings and sets of quotes for something that will add value to the community. Exercise equipment, playground, off-street parking, or benches, picnic tables, and grills come to mind, though a community farming plot would also accomplish a similar goal. There may also be an opportunity to constrain the guest to resident ratio without HOA approval, but that only matters if the majority of the problem does not live in the community.

If they are breaking noise ordinances and trespassing, call the police. Work with other affected neighbors to have them call as well. The squeaky wheel gets the attention.

Unfortunately, you are already in the annoy-off battle. You win by making it more annoying for that to be a hang-out spot or altering your property to limit the annoyances that reach you. Keep it clean and keep it legal. Understand that the other parties might not share either constraint so plan (and budget) accordingly. If it escalates to vandalism and destruction of property, good cameras would go a long way.

12. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

:righton:

13. hkdave

hkdave New Member

plant something thorny

14. RickN

RickN New Member

Borrow one of those remote controlled shotguns from the other article.

15. ZTC

ZTC Member

Start sun bathing nude! Then put on Daisy Duke's and go join in on the football game! Be really friendly!

16. commodore_dude

commodore_dude Active Member

Surprised nobody has suggested

[​IMG]

17. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

Dangit, you beat me to it commodore dude!

18. Puffyfish

Puffyfish New Member

Bout the only thing left is a moat filled with water and sharks. [​IMG]