Neighbor called LEO on me 'cause I was shooting an air rifle

Discussion in 'LEO Encounters' started by mygunstoo, Nov 8, 2010.

1. mygunstoo

mygunstoo Active Member

Several years ago I had some problems with this old lady and her dogs. When she moved next door several years ago, she would leave the dogs out all night while she was out of town. New dogs to the neighborhood, they were barking at all hours of the day and night. It got to the point that I had to call animal control several times and left messages at 2 or 3:00am because the dogs were barking. Animal control came several times until, on their last visit, they warned her that, on the next complaint, they would remove the dogs away. That really P.O. her over the edge.

Well, yesterday I was shooting squirrels on my back yard and she probably saw me.

Today, this morning, I had a visit from Cobb County Police. The lady had called them indicating that I was shooting a gun. I met the officers on my driveway, since I was out of the house running errands.

When they asked me if I had any weapons on me, I told them that I left the gun it in the truck for their protection. That set the tone of the rest of the encounter.

One of the officers asked me with a grin, ..."for my protection?". And I replied, "yes, isn't that what you guys always say?".

Then I proceed tell them "my side of the story", some background information about it and to show them my little shooting range in the backyard with tin cans and targets full of holes. The gun I used was a .22 pellet gun to hunt tree rats.

I even asked them if they knew why the lady did not asked me. Their comment was , ppl are afraid of guns. After that, they left.

I think I did very good. :lol:

2. Priest

Priest New Member

Are you my neighbor? I swear that you are describing the woman next door to me, and she has called out CCPD over me shooting a pellet gun as well. Her little dog yapps all night.... She also made it clear to me over a year ago she felt I should not have guns because she has a child (17 years old mind you).

3. AzB

AzB Well-Known Member

Typical. Uses her kid as weapon against you simply because she's pissed about the dog incident. Unless the kid hangs out in your house, there's no connection between the kid's safety and you owning guns. (Assuming you're not a lunatic homicidal maniac... but I'm pretty sure you would have mentioned that)

People are so ridiculous sometimes.

Az

4. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

Open carry and air rifle turkey shoot at Mygunstoo's house?

5. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

Ahh yes, definitely time for an OC party at Mygunstoo's pad. I'm in.

6. mygunstoo

mygunstoo Active Member

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Don't forget to bring the turkey. :lol: There is nothing left. Well, maybe if I could lure in some roosters and hens from few neighbors down the road...

7. Savvy Jack

Savvy Jack Banned

Been calling them tree rats for 35 years....lol First time I have ever herd anyone else say it other than my daughter!!

8. mygunstoo

mygunstoo Active Member

Might as well, too many ppl in between though. :lol:

Turns out that she saw me "pointing the gun" at her house. :lol: I was walking all over the yard looking for the tree rats and it is possible that, at some point in time, the air rifle was pointing to her house. She is one of those persons that do not have any, is afraid of guns, don't like them and hate them.

I think from now on I will have to put on my ghille suit. :sly: Oh wait, my other neighbor might think I am a bear!!

9. mygunstoo

mygunstoo Active Member

Been calling them tree rats for 35 years....lol First time I have ever herd anyone else say it other than my daughter!![/quote:xqpmwae9]

Tree rats, if it weren't for that fluffy twitchy tail, they would disappear on a tree.

Ah, back to the LEO encounter, one officer was asking me how I cook the squirrels while the other one was trying to lecture me about pointing a gun at a neighbor ( this one was the younger guy). I said, put the cleaned rat in a pot with veggies and spices, and to the other, "I know, it is at least aggravated assault...".

10. gixxer750

gixxer750 Member

Thats funny b.c I had the same thing happen to me in the same situation. :D

11. timbrubaker

timbrubaker I may be slow, but I sure am ugly

I read somewhere that a squirrel is just a rat with good PR.

12. ntech

ntech Member

That was funny, I can picture that....I like your choice of words. :D....still chuckling.

13. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

People like that are ridiculous. I also wonder what the LEOs would have done if you did have a weapon on your person. Only since that was the first thing they asked you. Hopefully, they would have been respectful.

Now those LEOs came out there, completely wasted a lot of their time, all because you had to do some tree rat control. Ridiculous.

14. 1str8shot

1str8shot New Member

Been calling them tree rats for 35 years....lol First time I have ever herd anyone else say it other than my daughter!![/quote:6th38kul]
    i say it all the time. ive seen it said many times online, only had one person ever say it to me personally.

15. BG_Atl

BG_Atl Active Member

No problem... they have no guns with which to shoot at you... :shock:

16. mygunstoo

mygunstoo Active Member

Is there a way to check what was the end result of that call?

17. Glocker

Glocker New Member

I wonder what the police would have done as well since the OP was on his own property.

18. mygunstoo

mygunstoo Active Member

That is a good question.

I thought that, to quickly lower the tension level of the encounter, I would leave my gun in the truck (for their protection) :lol: .

My front door neighbor had already called me indicating that CCPD was there at the front of my house. He had also told them that we all shoot squirrels around our yards, that we carry guns and we had our permits etc. So by the time I came to the house, the police new I was going to be armed.

19. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

Well you just hope it doesn't turn into one of these. http://www.kccn.tv/slo_sheriff_take_guns.cfm