Need some help from and experienced shooter, Lilburn area

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Cavediver, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Cavediver

Cavediver New Member

Hi all,
    My wife owns a small .40cal made by Star (the company is out of business). It's a pretty solid little gun but it seems to shoot low, on the order of 7" at 10'. The rear sights have a little adjustment for windage, but no elevation (they are dovetailed into the slide).

I would like to have someone with a bit of experience shoot a few rounds and tell me if it's just our poor shooting or if it really is the sights. We are relatively new, but I think I have a good enough handle on things that I'm not jerking, pulling or flinching in anticipation.

We're in Lilburn, and we normally shoot at the American Classic range, but we will also go to Master Gunman(?) in Stone Mountain if that's easier. We're not in a rush, anytime in the next month or so will work.

If the sights do prove to be off, we'll also need a few suggestions for fixing them. The best response (from some foks at a gun store) has been to file down and re-dot the front blade. I'm not sure if that's the way to go or not. I was thinking about milling / filing one side of the dovetail on the rear mount, then adding shim stock under the sight to take up the new space. Anyhow, that's something for down the road. Right now the objective is to find out if it's the gun or us...
    Thanks

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Re: Need some help from and experienced shooter, Lilburn are

I agree with the gunshop, but I would make DARN sure that the sights are off first.

Personally, I would invest a little money in a better quality weapon. Please do not take that as an insult, but when your life is on the line, an addition $50 one time expense over the less expensive weapon is not, in hindsight, a bad trade.

3. Cavediver

Cavediver New Member

No insult taken. She bought the gun 10 years ago, and it sat in a drawer...
    From my understanding it's not a bad pistol, but we know there are a lot of better models availble. It's just what we have at the moment. I'm sure I'll get her to upgrade after I buy mine (about a month or two down the road), but we'll probably keep it as a backup.

4. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

Well, you could do a lot worse than a Star. They are not bad pistols. I want to buy a Star BM in 9mm.

5. Cavediver

Cavediver New Member

It sure beats the "falcon" .25 I had many moons ago :lol:

6. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Won't Work

If the gun shoots seven inches (7") low at the ridiculously close distance of ten feet (10'), then there's no way you'll be able to file down the front sight enough to compensate for that! There wouldn't be any front sight left! Maybe you could reduce the height of the front sight by half, and also attach a different and much taller rear sight... but that would be a lot more money.

As MP said above, are you sure the sights are that far off? Sure that it's not a flinch or bad trigger control on your part? Usually when fixed-sight guns are off, they are off by a couple of inches at 50 feet.

If the gun is reliable with hollow-points and is comfortable in your hand, and if you are otherwise pleased with it except for the sight alignment, then I'd suggest just using it "as is." Get used to how it hits and aim high to compensate. A little "Kentucky windage."

7. Cavediver

Cavediver New Member

Re: Won't Work

Nope, not sure at all. I think it's not me, but I definately want a second opinion. I'm going to try and find a pistol rest at a range this weekend and see what happens. I guess if it's still low, I'll know it's not me. If I can't find one, is a bore site accurate enough to help? I'm sure that's a stupid question, but I know absolutely nothing about them.

8. Wiley

Wiley New Member

See if one of the ranges has a 'Ransom Rest'. With it the gun is locked solid in a frame.

If indeed the sights are off, you might concider replacing the rear with an adjustable or a fixed with a higher notch. Check on Brownells or MidwayUSA. You can ask about fitment on both.