need some computer help

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by legacy38, Aug 4, 2007.

1. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

How do I check to see what programs on my computer are starting up during the booting process? One of our computers is starting up very slowly, and I think that there are too many programs trying to start up during the boot up.

Also, how do I remove programs for the boot up, and how do I keep programs from automatically becoming part of the boot up?

2. M249

M249 New Member

The easiest way is to type msconfig in the Start > Run window.

The best way is to check via the registry, or use HijackThis! If you don't know what you're doing with those, you can mess up your Windows install.

3. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

To expand on what M249 said, once you have the System Configuration window open (msconfig), you can use this site (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/) to determine what programs are what in the list... sometimes it's obvious and other times it isn't.

Is it a Dell or something like that? If so, you can start the computer up with the restore CD and start over with everything. Just make sure you have all the files you need backed up and any program installation CDs that you need to reinstall. A good reformat goes a long way. If you aren't comfortable with doing that, you should just try the startup program thing and then go from there and see how it helps.

Good luck. Post here again if you need more help with it.