Need Quick Snake Identify

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by EJR914, Aug 19, 2017.

1. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

If anybody can enhance the photo have added, I just the best ones that I could get, I don't want to kill a good snake, and I actually one more around my house, but if it's a bad snake I do want to kill it so it can't get back in somehow I accidentally bite me

It does have some Diamond symbols on its side that I saw with the flashlight, but that does not mean it's a rattlesnake

Attached Files:

2. EJR914

Attached Files:

3. EJR914

Attached Files:

4. Taurus92

Taurus92 Well-Known Member

5. Feral

Feral Active Member

I'm sorry that you had to kill it, regardless of what type it was.

Unfortunately due to its location you didn't have many options.

6. John1976

John1976 New Member

Just saying. Its illegal to kill non-poisonous snakes. So don't post the dead one. Poisonous snakes in Ga have a head much larger then their necks, heart shaped. The pupils are narrow slits like a cat. Non poisonous are round pupils. If you're not sure, Don't kill it. I will not kill copperheads either. The only snake in Ga that does not follow the ID rules is the coral snake and they live near the coast in sandy soil. Beautiful snakes.

7. tsangster

tsangster Member

Rat Snake of some variety. Grey maybe.

8. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

You are correct but if the law was vigorously enforced nearly the entire population of South Georgia would be in jail. Still I hate the only good snake is a dead snake rule.

9. Taurus92

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]Black rat snake [​IMG]Gray [​IMG]Yellow [​IMG]Integrades

If the maps are close, the Gray doesn't come over very far and I'm not sure where EJR is. I can't tell from EJR's pic, but the head doesn't look as wide as the Gray Rat Snake.

Either way, I didn't sleep in a Holiday Inn last night.

10. Dawgdoc

Dawgdoc Well-Known Member

It is a rat snake, but it is probably a hybrid of grey, black, or yellow subspecies, depending on where the exact location was. When I was part of the Savannah Science Museum and then later the Center for Wildlife Education at Georgia Southern, we would frequently get these rat snakes that didn't quite fit the species guide.

I should add, I don't like the killing of any snakes (even venomous snakes), but I keep a snake hook in my trunk for such situations. If anyone felt they just had to kill a snake, please destroy the actual head/brain (treat it like a zombie). The brain can can continue functioning for a period of time after the head is separated. Imagine being decapitated and being aware as you slowly lost consciousness due to oxygen deprivation, except reptiles can go awhile without oxygen.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  11. Taurus92

Yep, just going by the guide since no one else was chiming in. So what features make it a rat snake? Just the pattern? The head?

12. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

The Center for Wildlife Education at Georgia Southern is a great asset to Georgia and has helped thousands of school kids and adults have a better understanding and respect for the Wildlife of our State. That is where I learned about destroying the head if push comes to shove with a dangerous snake. Let me add that the Bulloch Couty humidity misses you.

13. Dawgdoc

Once I saw the close up of the head, I could tell it was a rat snake based on the pattern of the scales combined with the color pattern. Also, rat snakes have a flat belly, which gives them a loaf of bread body shape rather than round tube.

I have lived from one end of the Georgia to the extreme opposite end, and I have seen typical black rat snakes and typical yellow rat snakes (with the stripes), but I have yet to see a gray rat snake that exactly matches the guide book pictures. The ones I see just don't look "pure" so to speak.

Since I was involved with wildlife centers, the experts have been reclassifying the species and sub species.

14. Dawgdoc

I was hired to take care of the herp collection before the Center had a physical location. I did the reptile and amphibian shows when the place first opened, and I had some input in designing the displays.

(By the way EJR914, I used to tell people at my talks that if a snake was in your house, it was just following its food source, so watch for rodents now.)

Even in northwest Georgia the humidity is a monster; it is hard to believe that I rode a bike around GS without being covered in sweat daily.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  15. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Poisonous or not, illegal or not, anything that slithers onto our property dies. Period.

16. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

Baby graboid, it broke in the wrong rec room

17. jsaund22

jsaund22 Ninjaneering Computers

My dad always said that there are only two kinds of snakes: chicken snakes and rattlesnakes. If the snake doesn't have a chicken in its mouth, it's a rattlesnake.

18. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

Killing snakes that pose no threat is uncool. Killing non-venomous snakes is stupid.

Unless you like rats. In that case, kill away!