Need pricing advice for a friend.

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by AtlPhilip, Jul 23, 2018.

1. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

Have a friend who inherited some pistols. Need a fair market value so she can sell without getting taken.

- Smith and Wesson Model 29-2 .44 mag with 4in bbl.
    Blued and in nice condition, no box or accessories. Aftermarket rosewood grips.

- Smith and Wesson Model 586 .357 mag with 4in bbl.
    Blued and in nice condition, no box or accessories.
    Aftermarket rosewood grips.

- Kimel AP-9 Good condition.
    Two mags ~10rnd & ~30rd

2. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Wild guess.... without looking at a gun values book or completed auctions or the "Buy it Now" price on Gunbroker...

$600 on the M-29.

*edited* $600 on the M-586.

Only $450 on the AP-9. It's a cheap ugly bullet hose, and not as famous (or infamous) as the similar Tec-9 or SWD - Cobray pistols.

3. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

You might get lucky and get those prices in a FTF private sale but good luck if you take them to a gun shop to sell them. Don't attempt to sell the AP9 at a gun store unless you out to get laughed at.

4. Glockenator

Glockenator Active Member

What I usually do it go on OutdoorsTrader and do a search for a particular gun model, in my state (I'm not even sure if that site covers other states), to see what the going asking price is. The majority usually end up in a pretty tight range. For the fliers (high or low, outside that range), I look at how long the ad has been posted, also taking into account if the location is a metro area, or way out in podunkville. I get kind of a feel for what my asking price should be. That price range could very likely be quite different in another state, or on Gunbroker, where shipping and FFL's are usually required.

I do the exact same thing, on other sites (fleabay, Craigslist, etc.), when selling anything. Anything is really only worth what people are willing to pay for it. Bluebook, etc. are really hogwash, in my mind.

BTW, OutdoorsTrader is an outstanding site for selling guns. Or ammo and accessories. Even many other things not related to guns. I have bought/sold/traded kayaks, power tools and many other things on there.

5. GAfirearmsReference

GAfirearmsReference Weapons Law Booklet

Per the 39th edition (2017) of the Gun Trader's Guide:

S&W 29 blued modern production after early 1980s (this book doesn't list the dash or generation number) excellent condition ones with 4" barrel are $670. Just "good" condition would be $430.

S&W 586 "Distinguished Combat Magnum" 4" blued is $480 if it's excellent, only $345 for "Good" condition.

Kimel: Not listed.
    But if you want to compare it to an Intertec TEC-DC9, blued finish, good condition, that's only $270.

6. Verbal101

Verbal101 Active Member

It never hurts to start a bit high and come down. She'll find the sweet spot eventually.

On those S&W revolvers it would be nice to know the year of production. Is the 29 pinned and recessed?

FYI I don't see any 29-2 on gunbroker for less than $900 (with people actively bidding).

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Keywords=s&w 29-2

7. AtlPhilip

I don't know the year, and neither does she. Describe "pinned and recessed".

8. GAfirearmsReference

A model 29-2 should be old enough to be "pinned and recessed" and thus more desirable for collectors.

"Pinned" refers to the barrel-frame junction, above the forcing cone of the revolver, having a pin holding the barrel in place to keep it from loosening on its threads.
    Newer guns eliminated the pin as a cost-saving measure.

"Recessed" means the chambers of the cylinder were counter-bored to let the rims of the cartridges fit flush with the back of the cylinder. Maybe that was supposed to make it stronger? I don't think it really does, in any significant way, but it looks nice. It's looks more elegant rather than just practical.

Again, it's a trait that S&W dropped from their revolvers in the 1980s as a cost-saving measure.

According to many threads from other gun-chat sites (smith-wesson forum. com) and Wikipedia, the "dash 2" version of the Model 29 was made from 1963 to 1982.
    The next "change" or "variant" to come out, the 29-3, was a less desirable, less collectible gun due to eliminating the "pinned and recessed" features.

9. GAfirearmsReference

P.S. The most famous variation of the Model 29 is the six-inch blued steel kind that "Dirty Harry" carried in the early 1970s. That would have been a 29-2, probably.

But what's special about a blued steel model 29 with a 4" barrel is that's what the man who developed and promoted the .44 magnum round personally preferred and carried. Elmer Keith's favorite revolver was a 4" barreled gun that didn't have the "Model 29" designation at that time, but would later be named the Model 29 in the late 1950s when S&W decided that names of guns weren't good enough without a model number.

10. AtlPhilip

Thanks. I'm unsure about pinned, and no longer have them on my desk. But they were not recessed for sure.