Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of our heat pumps is shot, the reversing valve needs replaced and the compressor bearings are squeeling. The easy thing to do is replace it but we are looking for alternatives.

Currently this unit handles about 1000 square feet all on the same level. There is a great room that is 360 SQFT, two bedrooms that are 170 SQFT each, a hall and a bathroom.

We are thinking about doing three ductless units, one in each of the bedrooms and one in the great room. This would allow us to be truely zone.

Does anyone have thoughts on the ductless units?

Similar to these; http://www.ductlessdepot.net/

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
ill subscribe to this. I'm currently in the market to replace our HVAC system that is 18+ years old. We've been having problem after problem. I'm not crazy about the ones you listed but if anyone knows anyone who works in the industry I'd be greatful.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I spent 3 years in the HVAC industry, up until Nov 2010. PM me and I'll give you some contact info.

Mini-split ductless systems are mainly used for bonus rooms. If you install multiple indoor units, each one has to have a separate lineset that will be run through your house and through a new hole in your exterior wall. I'm not a fan of putting new holes in my house :D JMO

psrumors - for the 1000 sqf, I would look at getting a replacement 2 1/2 ton heat pump with a wireless zone system (Honeywell makes great zoning equipment). With the tax credits, vendor incentives, etc. you can upgrade your equipment or save yourself some money. How old is your system?

Taco - Upgrading your system would be unbelievable in energy savings and comfort. You probably have an 8 seer system, today's min is now 13 seer ( up to 18 seer if you want to spend the $$$) My systems were 10 years old, 10 seer and would run until 11 or 12 pm to cool the house to 72 degrees if the outside temp was over 92 degrees. I put in 13 seer equipment - came home at 5 pm that day (98 degrees outside August) my house was 71 degrees and the system was not even running at the hottest part of the day. Best investment we've made.

Let me know if you would like anymore info, contacts, etc. I have to run out to get my kids from school shortly, but will respond if needed.

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bmghunter said:
I spent 3 years in the HVAC industry, up until Nov 2010. PM me and I'll give you some contact info.

Mini-split ductless systems are mainly used for bonus rooms. If you install multiple indoor units, each one has to have a separate lineset that will be run through your house and through a new hole in your exterior wall. I'm not a fan of putting new holes in my house :D JMO

psrumors - for the 1000 sqf, I would look at getting a replacement 2 1/2 ton heat pump with a wireless zone system (Honeywell makes great zoning equipment). With the tax credits, vendor incentives, etc. you can upgrade your equipment or save yourself some money. How old is your system?

Taco - Upgrading your system would be unbelievable in energy savings and comfort. You probably have an 8 seer system, today's min is now 13 seer ( up to 18 seer if you want to spend the $$$) My systems were 10 years old, 10 seer and would run until 11 or 12 pm to cool the house to 72 degrees if the outside temp was over 92 degrees. I put in 13 seer equipment - came home at 5 pm that day (98 degrees outside August) my house was 71 degrees and the system was not even running at the hottest part of the day. Best investment we've made.

Let me know if you would like anymore info, contacts, etc. I have to run out to get my kids from school shortly, but will respond if needed.
My system is 15 years old. We have a new Trane on the upstairs and it is zoned and sucks big time.

I am not so much worried about the holes in the wall as I am being able to turn a system off when a room is not being used or being able to keep a bedroom cooler without having to run the entire system.

Heck, we have even considered window units for each room. It isn't the money there just has to be a better way.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I understand. I can put you in touch with someone who can give you a lot more info on mini-splits than I can, if you're still interested.

Never been a big Trane fan :shattered:

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
To the OP's question.

My In-laws have one of the Mitsubishi units in their living room/dining room combo area and I have not been real impressed with it.

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Suburbbus said:
To the OP's question.

My In-laws have one of the Mitsubishi units in their living room/dining room combo area and I have not been real impressed with it.
That is good to know. What seems to be the problem? Doesn't cool / heat, loud, etc?

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
psrumors said:
Suburbbus said:
To the OP's question.

That is good to know. What seems to be the problem? Doesn't cool / heat, loud, etc?
It does not seem to cool all that well. I think that placement of the inside unit has a lot to do with it. Theirs is on a wall in one of the corners of the room. If it was more in the center, it might spread the air around better, but that was not an option for them as there was a patio door and an outside window on the majority of the outside wall.

·
Registered
7 Posts
bmghunter said:

18 years old and an 8 SEER? Excuse me? Don't think so.

I've spent thirty plus years in the heating and cooling industry and 10 SEER has been the law for at least 25 of them.

Comparative to when it was installed, 8 SEER may be what it is now if not worse. I will agree without a doubt that upgrading to the current minimum efficiency of 13 SEER will result in unbelievable in energy savings but comfort depends on the person or persons looking at the system. 13 years ago is about the start of the throw-it-in-flex era and guidelines have changed considerably. Installation practices haven't changes much....

13 SEER will save you money and 16 SEER will save you more. You do have to spend money to save money and 16 SEER is about the break even point for a good ROI (Return on Investment).

First post. I get on my high horse when it comes to my industry. My apologies if this has offended anyone.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Not offended at all. 10 SEER became federally mandated as a minimum in 1992 for split systems (1993 for package units) and then 13 SEER became the min in January 2006. I know two people that moved into newly constructed "starter" homes in 1991 that had 8 SEER equipment. If the SEER upgrade mandate was anything like the R22-R410 conversion, some contractors bought as much equipment as they could of the "outdated" models and continued to install them as long as they could. I am far from an expert, just trying to be helpful. SEER is a helpful number, but EER is a better performance indicator.

Not trying to hijack the thread... :shattered:

·
Registered
7 Posts
And you can STILL buy 10 SEER units. Commercial only and some may be R22.

Go figure.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
HeatAir said:
bmghunter said:

18 years old and an 8 SEER? Excuse me? Don't think so.

I've spent thirty plus years in the heating and cooling industry and 10 SEER has been the law for at least 25 of them.

Comparative to when it was installed, 8 SEER may be what it is now if not worse. I will agree without a doubt that upgrading to the current minimum efficiency of 13 SEER will result in unbelievable in energy savings but comfort depends on the person or persons looking at the system. 13 years ago is about the start of the throw-it-in-flex era and guidelines have changed considerably. Installation practices haven't changes much....

13 SEER will save you money and 16 SEER will save you more. You do have to spend money to save money and 16 SEER is about the break even point for a good ROI (Return on Investment).

First post. I get on my high horse when it comes to my industry. My apologies if this has offended anyone.

Welcome from Duluth :welcome: . Some first post. You seem to really know what you are talking about in regards to HVAC.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have purchased a couple of Mitsubishi mini-split (Mr. Slim) units to cover some of our server rooms. Last year I spent roughly $450k on a complete Mitsubishi city-multi system for one of my buildings. While I can't recommend the variable refrigerant city-multi system for your home, I highly recommend Mitsubishi's Mr. Slim product line. And you don't have to punch a hole in your wall for each unit. We ran all of our drain lines to a common header and pumped it out of one line from there. The internal pumps can pump up to 22 inches high from the unit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts