Need more computer help guys.

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Bkite, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Bkite

Bkite PawPaw x 3

So here lately and for know obvious reason, when my computer attempts to "update" during the closing down and starting up processes, something goes wrong and I get this message...
    "Failure configuring windows updates
    Reverting changes
    Do not turn off your computer"
    As far as I know, I have done nothing different in the processes and have not recently added any new software or anything.
    What can I do to see why it is not configuring updates properly?
    Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
    Happy Thanksgiving to everyone also!

2. Marine6212

Marine6212 Active Member

What version of Windows are you using?

3. Glockenator

Glockenator Active Member

I have no idea what might be going on, or how to prevent or correct the problem. All I can suggest is to leave it plugged in, and do not touch the power button or close the lid, if it is a laptop, while that screen is displayed. Wish I could help more, but I lack the knowledge.

4. Marine6212

Marine6212 Active Member

What version of Windows are you using?

5. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

Well it is Windows, so it seems to come down to reinstall from scratch half of the time, but there are some things that you can try - depending on the Windows version, like: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/failure-configuring-windows-updates

Essentially you should be able to navigate to a directory that stores the pending updates and delete what's there. Then try an update in safe mode as there may be a conflict with other loaded apps. Oddly enough - I have had files in my downloads folder that were downloaded from the Internet or cached paged content that created a problem too. I went ahead and cleared by browser cache, including all downloaded files, and that fixed the issue when I had it once. There is also a Windows update troubleshooter for issues like this. There is also MacOS and Linux...

jag_357 likes this.
  6. Glockenator

As a side note, one of the computers here is running Win7, and it absolutely will not update. I have run special troubleshooters, gone into the registry to try to fix it, and done a whole lot of research, with no success. I still pretty firmly believe that Microsoft intentionally makes that happen, trying to force people to pay money to upgrade. I now refuse to ever give a company like that money for an upgrade, so I guess I will just live with it until it doesn't work anymore, then be forced to buy a new computer. Good thing that laptop is over 8 years old, and might not live much longer anyway. But I am forever done with paying money for just an OS alone. I had paid money to upgrade that laptop from Vista to Win7.

jag_357 likes this.
  7. Taurus92

Taurus92 Well-Known Member

I had a problem with that for a while with my Windows 7 machine. Machine was running 100% CPU and was always hot. Finally found an obscure fix.

8. Bkite

Bkite PawPaw x 3

9. Taurus92

There was a Windows update trouble shooter page. Looks like Microsoft just points you to update to 10 now. Even old Microsoft support pages point to the troubleshooter, but you end up on a Windows 10 page.

10. Glockenator

Yep. Confirmation of what I believe all along. Kinda like when they had that "Reserve your free copy of Win10". That installed something that was very malware-like, and required a special 3rd party program to remove.

Microsoft is right up there with FB and Google, in terms of their tactics and goals, which make me puke through my nose.

AtlPhilip and jag_357 like this.
  11. Suburbbus

Suburbbus Well-Known Member

If you get an answer, please pass it on. My laptop is doing the exact same thing now. It finally just restarts and is fine until the next time it tries to update. It gets to 15% and then I get the exact same error message as you. Windows 7, btw.

Bkite likes this.
  12. Taurus92

Exactly why I went with Linux. Still have a Windows 7 for certain apps though.

jag_357 likes this.
  13. Taurus92

You can turn off updates and do them manually.

14. Suburbbus

Suburbbus Well-Known Member

just found this on Google about this problem:

http://windowsreport.com/delete-downloaded-windows-updates-failed-install/

Basically, you go to the windows file on your computer (usually C drive). Look for "Software Distribution" and open it. Look for "Downloads" and delete everything in it. That should get rid of any corrupted updates. I hope this fixes the problem, since I just did this to my laptop.

15. Glockenator

That's one of the things I tried on mine. It fixed the endless attempted update loop, but didn't fix the ability to actually update.

16. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

On one of my tough books with Windows 7, it jut sits at the Checking for updates screen forever until you close it out. I tried looking in that folder, but do not have anything in it (yes, show hidden files is checked).

The last update install date it shows was 8/15/2016

EDIT: I also found https://social.technet.microsoft.co...pdate-errorcode-80242006?forum=w7itprogeneral which has other files to delete in the SoftwareDistribution folder, I think it may have fixed my problem but it took windows update about 20 minutes of checking to finally find updates to install.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  17. Taurus92

18. Bkite

Bkite PawPaw x 3

Tending to turkeys now. I will try some of these suggestions in morning

19. Bkite

Bkite PawPaw x 3

Thanks guys for all suggestions. I will try some in a.m. and let you know if anywork.

20. Taurus92