Need lawyer opinion, (realestate contract)

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Solomon_G, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Solomon_G

Solomon_G New Member

I have an investor wanting to buy my home in Indiana, he sent me a pretty simple contract...he wants to move fast on this to turn it around.

All i need is for someone to look at the contract for me to make sure it's cool and that i will have no liability after the purchase.

Thank you in advance.

Anyone?

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

You need an Indiana attorney.

3. Solomon_G

Solomon_G New Member

Well....this is just a cut and dry 4 page as is contract.

I just wanted to understand the basics of it....i have looked some stuff up on line, seems to me it's cool...just wanted someone to look at it and confirm what i think i understand...lol

4. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

This is a real estate sales contract for real property in Indiana. You need an Indiana attorney.

5. Solomon_G

Solomon_G New Member

Yes i understand that, if i was going to hire one to represent me, i just figured this was an across the board every contract kind of thing.

I have been looking up Georgia properties to purchase, looks like the same things are listed.

But nevermind....i will just keep looking online.

6. mark5019

mark5019 what me worry?

You we're advised by one of three best lawyers

Follow his advice

7. Solomon_G

Solomon_G New Member

This has nothing to do with Indiana laws....thanks

8. mark5019

mark5019 what me worry?

Remember ga laws might be different then Indiana

9. Solomon_G

Solomon_G New Member

lol....i realize that....again, this has nothing to do with "LAWS".

Just the wording.....i have looked at some GEORGIA contracts online that seem to be the same.

It's the WORDING that i was curious about. ](*,) :grin:

10. gtmatt

gtmatt Member

Do you not think that the wording might interact with Indiana's laws regarding real estate in a different way than that same wording might interact with Georgia's (or any other state's)? Or that Indiana's real estate laws might automatically place some burden upon you of which the contract makes no mention?

11. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

Your contract, and the transaction in general, are governed by Indiana law.

It is possible to write a contract that is completely unenforceable. What happens when you figure that out 3 buyers from now?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  12. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

This wording... garbilitence frotaego hammunculit verideo cantis

...under Georgia contract law it means "...all suits in equity which may commence between the parties after this contract is executed..."

...under Indiana contract law it means "...cows may not be used as collateral to secure private debt..."

The same exact WORDING may be used in both Georgia and Indiana statutory law but have completely different meaning, application, and case law because of historical differences and contract law development in the two States. Simply finding "like phrases" doesn't mean much when the judicial contexts can be so widely different.

Note-A: The example phrase is entirely fictitious
    Note-B: The meanings stated for the example phrase are false

13. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

The property is in Indiana. The contract will be binding under Indiana law. Get an attorney from anywhere you choose but if they are not admitted to practice in Indiana and the first little thing goes wrong, you are shafted.

There are smart guys (even attorneys) around here who know all about those things. Do yourself a favor, listen to them.

No doubt you can get an Indiana attorney to handle your entire side of the closing for at most a couple hundred bucks. Cover all stuff and no need to worry or travel up there.

Trust me, its worth is. BT/DT know that of which I speak.

Nemo

14. Solomon_G

Solomon_G New Member

Look fellas, I'm not looking to hire a Georgia lawyer.
    I also know the laws are different from one state to another.

If you could see what I'm talking about you may....understand, this has nothing to do with LAWS.

It's the terminology which like i said...is the same that i have seen in some GA contracts.

I just wanted to make sure i understood them correctly...since I'm not exactly schooled on the lingo.

But I'm not going to post it up here to the public....so no biggy.

Just thought I'd find someone at least willing to give it a look.

I'm ok....I think with a little counseling i can be me again. :righton:

15. CoffeeMate

That's the thing. The relevant lingo is Indiana. You need an Indiana attorney who speaks Indiana.

16. Solomon_G

Solomon_G New Member

I can tell you enjoy trying to get a rise out of people....not gonna happen bud. :wink:

Like i said ....again, if you seen it...you may...understand.

17. CoffeeMate

"...shall not be infringed..." means one thing in Georgia, but "...shall not be infringed..." means something completely different in NJ even though it is the exact same phrase.

18. CoffeeMate

Actually I really don't.

:whistle:

19. Solomon_G

Solomon_G New Member

Not talking about NJ.

20. CoffeeMate

Neither am I. I'm talking about the exact same phrase can mean different things when you're speaking Indiana.