Need info from those waiting for license

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by Gunstar1, Jan 26, 2007.

1. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

If you have waited more than 30 days for your GFL, contact the Sheriff's Office or agency that submitted your prints and find out

1) when they were sent
    2) who is completing the LE check off form in the agency
    3) find out what the status of the check off form is

Please post your information below. If you have a question on what or who you need to ask, post that below too.

Also post when you applied and got fingerprinted as well.

2. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

GunStar1,

I am still several days away (next Thursday, 30 days) but was getting ready to call the Sheriff Dept this week to check on my prints. I am unsure how they sent, used digital scan but printed cards for me to sign, was going to ask them about it and when they had been sent and if they did go LiveScan(?).

Also I see you asked about a LE form, what is this have not seen that talked about on this site.

I did call the GBI (404 244-2639 option 2) talked with Cheryl about my prints and she indicated that card prints are backed up from end of Nov to mid Dec at this time. She was very nice on the phone but since it had only been a few weeks she asked that I call back in a couple more, but polite. This is also why I figured that I would check this end to ensure that they did in fact send and what format.

I have not wanted to rock the boat yet with the Probate Court untill after the 60 day just in case all is going well, but figured I would shadow in checking the Sheriff and GBI.

If there is anything you need from the SAV/Chatham Co area I am here to assist.

Last, I do remember that Chatham Co does ask for employer on the app, don't remember if they asked for SSN.

3. todd91yj

todd91yj New Member

I just talked to the GBI at the number listed above and they said that they are still processing prints from the middle of November. My prints were taken with ink, so it looks like its going to be awhile. She would not give me a time frame of when they were going to get to December, just that it was going to be awhile. I have not called the Sheriff Dept. yet since the GBI hasnt gotten to when I applied for mine, 12-15-06. I can call the Sheriff Dept to find out if and when they sent the prints if you need me to though.

Also, as of 12-15-06 Walton Co. was still asking for employer and SSN.

4. ArmyJoe

ArmyJoe Guest

Applied in Fulton Co. (downtown) on 12/12/06. Did the digital prints.
    Called GCIC (Cheryl) on 1/29/07. Chery stated that my prints cleared GBI and FBI on 12/13/06 and were returned to Altanta PD (Mrs. Manns).
    I called Mrs. Mayes at Fulton Probate on 1/29, she stated she did not have the form back from APD. I left a message for Mrs. Mayes.
    Mrs. Mayes called me on 1/30/07 and said that Probate "picked it up this morning". She ended the call before I could question why it sat on her desk for 6 weeks.
    I am trying to get Mrs. Mayes to answer her phone and ensure that my permit gets signed and in the mail today.
    BLUF: SIX weeks sitting in APD fingerprint office waiting to be returned to Probate. :evil:

5. ArmyJoe

ArmyJoe Guest

Spoke with Mrs. Mayes. She verified that Fulton Probate had my cleared results back from APD. She stated it would take 10 business days?????? If I don't have it by 2/13, then to call her back. What takes 10 days? Read that my prints came back clean, stamp the signature on the permit, laminate it, shove it in my self-addressed envelope, and toss it in the outgoing mail? That requires 10 business days to complete? :roll:

6. BergerBoy

BergerBoy Guest

Called GCIC @ 404 244-2639, option #2. Spoke with Cheryl. I told her I had applied on 10-15-06 and that the Probate Courts said they had not gotten my prints back yet. She said that was odd, that it had been a long time since October.

She pulled me up in the system by my SSN, and told me that my prints were entered into the system on January 24th, and the last update was on January 28th. She said they should be on the way back over to the Courts.

I asked her if she could tell me when they were originally sent in, she said won't show in the computer and that it could have been anytime from recently to a few months back, as they are sent in and set into a bunch of boxes....that there is no way to tell. I asked her who does the LE check off form, and she had no clue. She didn't seem very informed and/or knowledgeable, IMO.

I'm busy at work, and will be trying to call the Probate Court back here in a little bit.

7. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Bergerboy, you need to get this information not from GCIC or the probate court but from the agency that fingerprinted you to answer GS1's 3 questions. This is probably the Sheriff's Department, but you would know better than us. Nobody at GBI can answer the last two questions.

8. BergerBoy

BergerBoy Guest

:oops: Yeah, I realized my mistake after I posted; I was sitting here thinking about how she acted and why she would........yeah. I should have read the thread thoroughly instead of just skimming and calling the first number I saw....

:goes to get coffee:

Let's see if I can get this right. :spam:

9. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

Just went over 30 days Thursday, called the Sheriff office and had a nice (short) conversation with Denise Brown. I did find out one interesting item about the Chatham CO Probate. They are requiring the Sheriff dept to send in printed cards even with the ability to send digital. She could not explain why just that that is what the Judge wants, must be a way they are using to ensure it will take the max amount of time.

I am going to try and get out of work early today or Monday and do a face to face to find out the date submitted and LEO responsible for the check off. :wink:

One last item my check to the Probate Court cleared the next day. :shock:

Still expecting 4-6 months, but hoping for the best

10. Malum Prohibitum

Have you asked to speak to the judge about this?

At least ask the probate court if it is even true!

Livescan prints take literally minutes to clear, since nobody ever has to lay their hands upon them. The machines do it.

Could this really be true? :shock: If so, why?

11. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Also that the law was amended last year to specifically allow digital prints to be sent instead of hard cards. (HB 1032)

12. Malum Prohibitum

Yeah, here is what he means. O.C.G.A. 16-11-129(c), the subsection that previously dealt with fingerprinting, used to say, "The appropriate local law enforcement agency in each county shall then make two sets of classifiable fingerprints of the applicant . . " and now it says "The appropriate local law enforcement agency in each county shall then capture the fingerprints of the applicant . . ."

See the difference? I just thought you might want to bring that to the judge when you sit down for the meeting. Here is a copy of HB 1032

Have fun!

They are elected public servants, after all. So, they really care what you think. :wink:

13. Malum Prohibitum

Of course, when you show the probate judge, the likely response is what happened to Havoc1:

To which you should respond, "Um, know, here is HB1032. Please quit thwarting the will of the General Assembly."

14. BergerBoy

BergerBoy Guest

Alright, I took my lunch break to get this figured out today.

Called the Hall County Sheriff's Office (770-531-6900) and got transferred between about 7-8 people trying to answer my questions. Spoke to Yolanda, who said she simply sends in my BG check and does nothing else. Was finally transferred to Janet Loyd, who handles the prints. She said that my prints were sent in on October 20th of 2006, and that they should be sent paper copies to the Probate Court. Noone at the Sheriff's Office had ever heard of a LE check off form. They said they basically send in the BG check and prints and that's all they do.

Called the Probate Court, got ahold of the intern named Jimmy. He didn't want to do anything, and took about 5 minutes of trying to talk to him before I got anything constructive.

"Well, I could do that, but that would take some time..."
    "Well I've got all the time you need: grab that for me"
    "Now whhyyyyyyyyy did you want/need to know that?"

He "checked with a clerk" and said my prints and BG check came back today, to expect my permit in the mail in the next week or two. I asked him about the BG check, he said they used the FBI check. I inquired as to whether they use the long mail-in check or the NICS instant check, and he said "I don't know". I asked if anyone there would know, and he gave a blunt "No". Brief squabble ensued, I asked to speak to his superior, he said they were all busy and they would have to call me back.

I'm waiting for the return phone call.

15. Malum Prohibitum

Man, there is a Taser with your name on it over there. :twisted:

16. Foul

Foul Guest

Wear chain mail boxers. I hear they act as a Faraday Cage. :p

17. BergerBoy

BergerBoy Guest

:lol:

18. BergerBoy

BergerBoy Guest

It's 5 and the offices closed at 4:30........no phone call for today. :evil:

19. todd91yj

todd91yj New Member

I keep getting the same run around from Walton Co. SO. Nobody knows anything about the permits and tell me that I need to talk to the probate court. I have not had a chance to call them yet to find out the status.

20. Applied in Hall County for my GFL.

Hello all. This is my first post, and after reading the other responses here concerning the time it is taking to receive your GFL's, (Bergerman comes to mind as we both applied in Hall County) I thought I'd post the date I applied for my GFL. It has not been close to 30 days yet...as I applied on Jan. 31st 2007, but thought I'd share it.