Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not for me, but an internet friend is moving there this summer. Her husband's going to be stationed at Ft Benning.

Where should she avoid, what schools are best, should she live in AL or GA? And other things like that.

Any advice for them?

Thanks!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,358 Posts
Lived there for 12 years, it sucks! I hate it!

Move to the north side of columbus, thats were all the new stuff is. Same with Schools etc.
Did I mention, STAY ON THE NORTH SIDE AS FAR NORTH AS YOU CAN GET!
I used to live off of 54th St./River Raod. At the time, back in the early 1980's, that was the best part of Columbus. Now it has grown further north with the new(in the 80s) Ga/Ala 280 bypass.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,992 Posts
fiwit said:
Where should she avoid,
Columbus. Honestly. Place is a hole.

There are some really small, really nice, really quiet towns within 30-45 east of Columbus that are worth checking out. When I say small....they look like they never left 1940's.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,358 Posts
gruntpain1775 said:
fiwit said:
Where should she avoid,
Columbus. Honestly. Place is a hole.

There are some really small, really nice, really quiet towns within 30-45 east of Columbus that are worth checking out. When I say small....they look like they never left 1940's.
Yes it is. Combined with Phoenix City too! The place is all ARMY and when guys get out/retire, they stay there. The place really sucks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,048 Posts
gruntpain1775 said:
There are some really small, really nice, really quiet towns within 30-45 east of Columbus that are worth checking out. When I say small....they look like they never left 1940's.
Sounds like my neck of the woods :righton:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,543 Posts
Savvy Jack said:
STAY ON THE NORTH SIDE AS FAR NORTH AS YOU CAN GET!
I used to live off of 54th St./River Raod. At the time, back in the early 1980's, that was the best part of Columbus. Now it has grown further north with the new(in the 80s) Ga/Ala 280 bypass.
Would you say the same for getting a hotel? Me and the wife are going over there Wed to see Jeff Dunham and need a hotel room.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,992 Posts
rankhornjp said:
Savvy Jack said:
STAY ON THE NORTH SIDE AS FAR NORTH AS YOU CAN GET!
I used to live off of 54th St./River Raod. At the time, back in the early 1980's, that was the best part of Columbus. Now it has grown further north with the new(in the 80s) Ga/Ala 280 bypass.
Would you say the same for getting a hotel? Me and the wife are going over there Wed to see Jeff Dunham and need a hotel room.
Yep
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,358 Posts
rankhornjp said:
Savvy Jack said:
STAY ON THE NORTH SIDE AS FAR NORTH AS YOU CAN GET!
I used to live off of 54th St./River Raod. At the time, back in the early 1980's, that was the best part of Columbus. Now it has grown further north with the new(in the 80s) Ga/Ala 280 bypass.
Would you say the same for getting a hotel? Me and the wife are going over there Wed to see Jeff Dunham and need a hotel room.
Oh yes! Do not stay south of Manchester Expressway! Extreme downtown business might be ok. I hear they fixed up downtown a bit a few years ago during the Olympics.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,358 Posts

All the rich people live in Green Island Hills, or at least use too! Its located on the river in the mid to lower left corner of the photo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
rankhornjp said:
Savvy Jack said:
STAY ON THE NORTH SIDE AS FAR NORTH AS YOU CAN GET!
I used to live off of 54th St./River Raod. At the time, back in the early 1980's, that was the best part of Columbus. Now it has grown further north with the new(in the 80s) Ga/Ala 280 bypass.
Would you say the same for getting a hotel? Me and the wife are going over there Wed to see Jeff Dunham and need a hotel room.
Stay at the Hilton Garden Inn off Bradley Pk Drive.

I'm just an ex-Army guy who settled in Columbus
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,358 Posts
shazam said:
I'm just an ex-Army guy who settled in Columbus
lol, see what I mean? :righton:

Hey Shazam, tell'm about Victory Drive....
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,559 Posts
Did they really have the ramps behind the bars in Phenix City to slide the bodies into the river????
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,358 Posts
When my dad was a kid he lived off fifth ave. At nights while, sitting on the porch, he could hear dynamite go off "across the river" where guys were blowing up black folks homes for one reason or another. Yes, it was a bad place back then.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
I'm stationed here at Ft. Benning and I recommend staying at a hotel on exit 10 off of I-185. I have never had any issues here nor the many times I visited prior while attending different schools here. I grew up in Detroit so Columbus is really no big deal to me. I guess it depends on what you are use to. I worry more in Atlanta personally.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,992 Posts
Savvy Jack said:
shazam said:
I'm just an ex-Army guy who settled in Columbus
lol, see what I mean? :righton:

Hey Shazam, tell'm about Victory Drive....
You mean VD Drive? It's not as bad now, but it used to be Strip club, tattoo shop, pawn shop, strip club, tatto shopp, etc....for miles! Now it's all meth head prostitutes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,992 Posts
MyFred said:
Did they really have the ramps behind the bars in Phenix City to slide the bodies into the river????
When Patton was in command of Ft. Benning the mob ran PC. Soldiers used to get beat up, kidnapped, stabbed, thrown in jail until they paid their debts, etc.

Patton got tired of it and parked his tanks right outside PC. Got his troops back and ran the mob out of town. The bottom of the river is supposed to be littered with the remains of slot machines and pokers tables.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
gruntpain1775 said:
MyFred said:
Did they really have the ramps behind the bars in Phenix City to slide the bodies into the river????
When Patton was in command of Ft. Benning the mob ran PC. Soldiers used to get beat up, kidnapped, stabbed, thrown in jail until they paid their debts, etc.

Patton got tired of it and parked his tanks right outside PC. Got his troops back and ran the mob out of town. The bottom of the river is supposed to be littered with the remains of slot machines and pokers tables.
Wow :shock: !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,306 Posts
If you really want to stay downtown the Marriott is fine, otherwise stay at the mall or north of it. I have stayed at the Courtyard many times with no problems and there are clusters of hotels up one exit from there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,414 Posts
I can't speak for Columbus, GA as I have spent little time there. But being from Alabama, I can tell you that Phenix City has a long history as a Wild Wild West type place. Lots of gambling, prostitution, bootlegging, drug traffic and overall general mayhem.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top