Need ideas... Various .410 ammo testing

Discussion in 'Ammo' started by JeffSmith2208, Sep 22, 2010.

1. JeffSmith2208

JeffSmith2208 New Member

I CC a Judge. In every forum there is all I ever see is how the Judge is a gimmick. I also read about how .410 loads are ineffective at self defense. Myself, I carry a mixture of Winchester PDX-1 .410 shells, and Federal Premium OOO Buck. I sometimes throw in some Hornady lever-action .45 Colts for good measure.

Back to my point... I am wanting to test various 2½" .410 loads that someone would use in self defense applications shot through, of course, a Judge. I sold my Ultra Light that had a 3" barrel so the testing would be done through a Public Defender model with a 2" barrel. What I am looking for is ideas pertaining to the medium the rounds should be shot into, different rounds that y'all would like to see tested, and the kind of information that would be most helpful. Now with that said, let me also say that I'm not made of money, so there won't be 10 different ammo types shot into huge 60lbs of meat (although that was a sweet test). I don't have a chrono, but I can post the velocity on the box. I'm thinking more of penetration, expantion (on slugs), wound cavity, etc...

So, give me your input please, and if you would even care to see the results.

2. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

Do you have a "normal" carry gun such as a 9mm or .45? If so you could soak phone books in water over night then shoot them with a 9 or .45 for comparison and measure the penetration and expansion. Then use the judge with assorted ammo and measure and compare.

3. JeffSmith2208

JeffSmith2208 New Member

Good idea. I was forced to sell all of my guns due to the economy around a year ago and I'm trying to building them back up now. I'm looking to buy a 9mm within a month or so, as of now I only have the Judge and a Mossberg 12 Gauge pump.

Maybe I could use a mildly loaded .45 Colt round as my basis for the .410's to be compared.

4. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

I did not even think of using the .45 colt round. I would use a major defense brand ammo.