Need Ideas... 12 Gauge Ammo Testing

Discussion in 'Ammo' started by JeffSmith2208, Sep 22, 2010.

1. JeffSmith2208

JeffSmith2208 New Member

I posted something similar for ideas on testing .410 self defense shells. So, the premise is that I get some of the most popular 12 Gauge self defense rounds, fire them at some sort of medium, record the penetration, devastation, and expansion (on slugs), and post them for y'all's entertainment.

I need some ideas from you as to what the medium I'm shooting should be and what rounds you want to see tested. I'm not made of money so I'm probably not going to be able to shoot up some 60lb chunks of meat, although that would be the best way to go. So give me some ideas besides the obvious ballistics gel, and tell me if you even care to read the results.

Also if anyone lives in the Columbus area and wants to chip in and join me and the wife for a day of shooting please let me know.

2. SaltySamurai

SaltySamurai New Member

Hey Jeff,
    I can't imagine anyone on here wouldn't take at least some satisfaction in seeing various 12-gauge rounds fired into something. I've slain many water jugs with pistol ammo. Water jugs are the cheapest and easiest way to compare ammo expansion and penetration.

Will water jugs simulate flesh and bone? Of course not. But thanks to the pesky notion of human rights, it's frowned upon (and in many places, illegal) to hire vagrants to model various layers of clothing and then shoot them. Although if you're a close friend of Kim Jong Il, I bet he'd gladly host such an event. But I've heard he's a prick and therefore it would be hard to be friends with him.

Lining up water jugs should be pretty good for slugs. Check out some of my pistol ammo comparisons.(there's a sticky) You'll find a picture of my setup in there somewhere. It's not the cheapest....and spending $30(what the average 3rd-world-living terrorists probably makes in a month) on water just to shoot it makes terrorists hate us even more.....but screw them.

And I thought about gelatin or jello.....but it's WAY too impractical. It takes like $15 worth of either just to make 1 block that you can shoot once vs. $4 worth of water jugs that would be destroyed per shot. HOWEVER, when it's winter time (gelatin will melt outdoors otherwise).....I suggest you splurge on like $100 worth of jello....fill a baby pool with it....then shoot it! Actually, I might do that. Unless I can find some drunk coeds to party in it with me first.

I haven't done a comparison in a while, so I really might make a baby-pool jello mold and fill it with lead. And this time I'll video it. But whatever you do, take pics...and/or video....and I guarantee folks will enjoy it.

But you'll enjoy it more. Have fun!

3. HydroAuto

HydroAuto GPDO Commonlaw Spouse

Midway has a variation on ballistic gel on sale. It is clear, reusable and from the review it is good at room temps too. Not "cheap", but if you're going to do a lot of ballistics testing probably worthwhile getting.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=315783

4. lostprofit

lostprofit New Member

What about using clay?

5. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Wet newspaper? Soaked for hours, so it's starting to get soft and mushy.

How about dough? The kind you would bake bread with. Flour is cheap and water is free. You could put dough in cardboard boxes for easier handling and so it retains its shape. And the boxes could be staked in long rows for the impact of slugs and buckshot.

I think most birdshot would stop in the very first box with just a couple inches of penetration.

Maybe the first couple boxes could be very thin boxes-- like a pizza box or the kind of cardboard box Amazon would use to ship you a hardcover book.

6. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

For very cheap, raid a recycling place and cart off a truck of phonebooks. Soak with water, enjoy the paper pulp. 12" of penetration is the minimum, so you probably want to set up at least that target much if not more. Plan for about 1" of spread over 1 yard of distance as well. Save the slugs till last and see how much you can go through at once.

Some people leave the covers, others remove them. 2-3 layers of old towels or blue jeans to simulate heavy clothing might offer a surprise or two.

7. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

QUOTE from ABOVE: ....a truck of phonebooks. Soak with water, enjoy the paper pulp.
    12" of penetration is the minimum, so you probably want to set up at least that target much if not more.

MY REPLY: You consider 12" of penetration in soaked phone books a minimum for a self-defense load?
    That's more than I've ever seen from any expanding handgun round I've ever tested.
    A rifle bullet or a shotgun slug should go 12 inches, but not buckshot. Not any handgun bullet that I can think of.

When I shoot soaked wet newspaper for checking the terminal performance of bullets, most of them (.38, 9mm, .45, .22 magnum) generally stop somewhere between 4" and 6" deep.

8. JeffSmith2208

JeffSmith2208 New Member

These are some good ideas, thanks for the feedback.