Need help with the A.L.I.C.E. fighting gear.

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by mygunstoo, Jan 20, 2011.

1. mygunstoo

mygunstoo Active Member

I am setting up my ALICE "fighting" gear. Per some pictures that I found on the internet, I think I have the LC-1 suspender attached to the proper eyelets on the back and on the M16 mag. pouches. I do not have the butt pack jet so the suspender goes straight to the belt.

My question is, how high up your belly is the belt supposed to be? In other words, is the bottom of the M16 mag. pouch supposed to touch/rub your legs or should you be able to sit w/o your legs touching it?

Edit: there, I fixed the title.

2. jdh31313

jdh31313 Active Member

Re: Need help with ALICE fighting gear.

I had to bust out the old pictures to answer this one...It seems like the the pistol belt rides high and the ammo pouches cover the front bottom pockets of the BDU top.

3. zookeper

zookeper Active Member

will that help you outrun the zombies?

4. mygunstoo

mygunstoo Active Member

No, :lol: I just ran out of money and I did not like the type of material the pack was made of.

5. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

Set the belt where it feels comfortable to you, IIRC one of the Ranger Battalions used to run theirs a bit high, almost a chest rig (pre-chest rig days, of course). I used to leave the front of my belt almost empty, (Hell, I used to complain about how thick BDU buttons were, 'cause they kept me from getting lower to the ground :shock: ) and pretty much had the magazine pouches almost under my arms with canteens at the kidneys. Today you could replace that with a camelback :)

Olive Drab.com
    Dave's Workbench.com

One thing I absolutely would recommend, and that got me in trouble more than once, would be to Get Rid of the snap hooks on the suspender straps and use a little 550-cord to attach the suspenders. Those things get Sharp when they get between you and whatever you're resting against. Put a knot in the cord and then thread it outside to inside of the belt. Make a pass through the suspender loop and then back to the outside of the belt and knot it again, then melt the ends. For the ammo pouches you may have to gut the 550-cord first, I can't remember.
    [​IMG]

(edit) Come to think about it, ALL my gear had the snap hooks and ALICE clips replaced with either ty-wraps or 550-cord. I had to have two sets of web gear but it was a small price to pay.)

6. Aberk

Aberk Custom User Title

I thought we were talking about Georgians for Gun Safety for second...

7. jdh31313

jdh31313 Active Member

Interesting placement for the E-tool...I always carried mine clipped to my rucksack.

8. mygunstoo

mygunstoo Active Member

Good good, keep'em coming. I would post a picture of how it looks now but I am afraid it would choke somebody laughing.

9. Fallschirmjäger

Wait, what??? you carried one???? :lol: :lol:
    (ok,, that's where I carried mine too. Airborne Infantry doesn't to a lot of fighting positions or trenching.)

Sometimes, equipment positioning is dictated by mission; in the 82nd the canteens had to be carried where they would slip through the webbing of your parachute. As an RTO, I usually had my rucksack on a lowering line and the ALICE strapped to that. It got a few evil looks during JMPI, but I never had to re-rig, thankfully.
    "You can't jump like that, what if you get shot at, where's your first line gear?"
    "I'm the Battalion Commander's RTO; if I don't have that rucksack and radio with me, the enemy's just going to have to stand in line to shoot me.
    "Passed. Get out of here, Airborne."

10. jdh31313

jdh31313 Active Member

Yup...The only thing I dug with it was "cat holes" :lol: Now that is one more thing I don't miss about the Army

11. Fallschirmjäger

As long as you have an empty hole between the rear suspender attachment points, you won't get too many laughs. Mixing ALICE and MOLLE works pretty good, too. MOLLE carriers are much handier than that parade-ground ALICE stuff.

12. MrMorden

MrMorden New Member

Do yourself a favor, ditch that torture device and get a FLC vest; if you look around you can get them new in wrap with all the pouches for $35-50. It's more comfortable, easier to get on and off, and carries more. Keep ALICE for a back up date. ;)

13. mygunstoo

mygunstoo Active Member

I already had the equipment for several years, even before the more recent MOLLE system came out. The vest, however, gives me a headache while the suspenders don't.

Besides, I like the nostalgic look of the soldiers of old.

14. dunkel

dunkel New Member

Alice? ALICE? Who the :cantsay: is Alice!?!

15. mygunstoo

mygunstoo Active Member

All-Purpose Lightweight Individual Carrying Equipment

16. mygunstoo

mygunstoo Active Member

I need to work on my GUT pack. :lol:

[​IMG]

I think the belt is too low.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. gruntpain1775

gruntpain1775 New Member

Way back before some jerk decided the LBV was a good idea ( :banghead: ) I would wear my LCE up high. A lot of us did that, it was more comfortable, you didn't have crap digging into your hips and if your were prone you didn't have to move much to get to stuff. I wore mine pretty much where a chest rig would be. If they tortured us that week with carrying a Pro-mask, that rode up high as well, right under my left arm. I hated having that thing on my leg, bumping around all over the place. I kept all my gear pretty much as close to the front of the belt as possible and used a fat boy clip if I was going to be doing a lot of walking, and I ditched the butt pack. Never seen or had a use for it. Then we went to the LBV ( :puke: ) and I pretty much gave up hope that there was any sanity left in the Army.

The MOLLIE came along and 11Bravos rejoiced, Sergeant Majors had heart attacks gear merchants became millionaires.

18. darkstar3d

darkstar3d Paratrooper

This old grunt never had his ammo pouches on his field set in front. Try running for cover and going prone real fast with six magazines in between you and the ground!

19. gruntpain1775

gruntpain1775 New Member

It only hurts for a minute...

20. dunkel

dunkel New Member

Sorry, I was referencing an old German beer drinking song.

Anyway, as a young soldier, I thought the LBV was awesome and was glad to be done with ALICE. Then I tried using the LBV and missed ALICE. I still think it's a decent setup. I always wore mine kinda low, but I know I don't have as much field time with it as some other guys, so you're probably better off taking their advice.

I will say that I've used an old Brit '58 pattern for some of my gear, just switching out mag/clip (yes, clips, for my Mauser) pouches as needed. It rides fairly high, mostly because it just doesn't have enough strap to lengthen it in the front very much. It felt strange at first, but I kinda got used to it. Of course, the '58 kit isn't exactly the same as ALICE, but the basic setup is the same with belt, suspenders, ammo pouches, etc.