Need advise please.

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by blackhawk01, Oct 5, 2010.

  1. blackhawk01

    blackhawk01 New Member

    13 years ago I had a felony conviction (no drugs or violence) in another state. I received a Relief from Disability from the judge in that state specifically stating my rights to own a weapon are restored. Now, 13 years, 3 kids and a good job later, I applied for my permit and was denied. Prior to applying for the permit, I applied to the Board of Pardons and Parole to restore my gun rights in Georgia, but they stated they had no jurisdiction to do that. Georgia Board of Pardons and Paroles wrote to me stating to provide the out of state relief of disbility to the probate court.

    The Probate Court advised me that I would need to get a pardon from the other state to get the license., Only the governor in that state can issue a pardon and has only done so less then 25 times in the past 10 years. I am caught between a rock and a hard place. I did speak to a supervisor at the court who was nice enough to tell me that if I can show the relief from that state is equivilent to a pardon in Georgia, I could get it approved.

    Has anyone else dealt with this issue? The GA pardon and the other Relief both restore rights but do not erase the record so they are very similar. How can I prove this to the court to overcome the problem?

    Also, even though they have not issued me a permit, am I legal to keep a weapon in my home since the out of state judge removed the federal bar and gave me back my firearm rights?

    Thanks for any help that can be provided.
  2. JMan

    JMan New Member

    If you go to a dealer and legally buy a firearm and they do the background and approve then the answer to your question . Yes you can have a gun in your home and car .

    But getting a permit depends on the charge my friend

    So my question to you , what was the charge?

  3. Malum Prohibitum

    Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

    I would suggest hiring a real lawyer who handles this licensing thing, like jrm.