Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fairly decent with computers but no next to nothing about internet speeds and everything else that goes with purchasing internet service. I just got a PS3 and I'm wanting to start doing some online gaming and be able to watch Netflix through the game system. I do not have home internet yet as i do all my internet needs on my Droid. Also I live.. well.. out in the sticks and my only options are through the phone or satellite, no cable ran in my area. So what kinda speed should I look for? How about MB allowance? (I don't even know what that is). Like I said I need some serious help! Thanks :help:

·
Banned
6,624 Posts
Get as fast as you can afford/justify. Do you have DSL available? Who is your phone service with? Forget satellite for internet.

I would say that a minimum of 3mbit down and 512kbit up would OK for what you want to do.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
DSL all the way!!!

I play online and works fine and I am in the boondocks too
Wireless seems to be a issue sometimes , so I go straight thru the router .But with netflix it works fine either way.You drop sometimes around 2 bars of signal going to wireless and tends to make you slower on games. As I am a Hardcore MW2 fan , I like to be faster than some at the game thus my reason for router hook up vs wireless.Also bellsouth was offering 24.99 internet with phone or something like that might wanna check that out.

BTW Why a PS3 BOOOOO!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
548 Posts
I watch Netflix thru my Wii over wireless on a DSL connection all the time. On occasion I'll need to reboot my router.

I use the testing tools at dslreports.com to test my connection speed, and as long as I'm over 3Mbps down I seem to be okay (my DSL sucks, but I absolutely refuse to give ComCast any of my money).

Hope that helps.

·
Banned
6,624 Posts
Pro tip on routers: Your average Linksys routers will :censored: the bed trying to handle too many things at once (gaming, surfing, downloading, etc.)

Spend a bit more and get something stable. I have ZERO issues with my Buffalo router (running Tomato).

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
yeah I've got Comcast cable internet and it works great. Running a dual band Apple Airport Extreme (broadcasts wireless in 2.4 and 5ghz) and have an AT&T Micro-Cell hooked up to it. I have 10 devices running on it in the house and have NEVER had speed problems. Always lighting fast. The router makes a big difference. Get an Apple router. Forget that Linksys crap.

·
Banned
6,624 Posts
My Droid's speeds here at the house are hit and miss. Mostly miss. My crappy DSL is faster. BUT, when you are on the go with no free WiFi connection, tether that mofo or crank up your own WiFi hotspot!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
If it was for anything other than gaming.. I would point you to CLEAR.
I've been using it since they came to Atlanta

BUT... their data latency is too high for on-line gaming.

So... DSL would be my connection of choice (unless they are locked into IFITL in the
area that you are in - this technology is now obsolete and AT&T can only push 1.5m down/256k down)

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I live way out in the country also and DSL is not available to me. My only choices were dial-up and satellite (which I had for several years) and neither of those is suitable for gaming. When cellular internet became available I switched over to Alltel and was very satisfied with that until they sold out to Verizon. I don't know that this would work well for gaming either due to latency and there is a gb per month limit on usage. The funny thing is you can get a Verizon modem through a company called Millenicom and get 20 gb a month for the same price that Verizon allows you 5 gb.

·
يفخر الكافر
3,938 Posts
A DSL connection with 6 Mbps downstream & 160 Kbps upload speed is going to work pretty well with most current online games. You shouldn't have much trouble finding a DSL package with those speeds. Cable is obviously better, but since you can't get that in your area I'd personally go with DSL. I haven't heard many good reviews about satellite connections

As for routers, I'm partial to Netgear. My Netgear RangeMax is very reliable and has worked perfectly with every type of wifi connection I've thrown at it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts