Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After so many years of dealing with (ignoring) the symptoms and the advice of my PCP, I have decided to seek out a good doctor for treating Sleep Apnea. I had one recommended, Dr. Eduardo Molinary, but he is booked up until the first of the year and I feel that given the extreme nature of the condition in the past couple of months that I shouldn't really wait that long.

I have always had 'raise the roof and shake the walls' snoring and waking up gasping for air but I stubbornly held onto the belief that I was above everything. Fast forward to driving home a few weeks ago and finding myself dozing off yet again only to wake up and find a semi swerving to miss me head on because I had drifted partially into his opposing lane.

I went to youtube and found a lot of positive videos where people such as myself were at first weary of an adding an appliance to their normal routine but their 'update' videos also espouse the benefits of getting some good quality sleep. Which I haven't had in close to two years now. I feel more comfortable about this after watching everyone, young, old, worker, and executive experience the same feelings before and then noticing their improved appearance and quality of life after using the CPAP machine for a while.

I would like to find a doctor who practice is within the north, north-west area of metro ATL.

·
Registered
8,036 Posts
I went to one of the sleep apnea mills in John's Creek several years ago.
Overnight pro-forma sleep test that no one even reviewed the results of.

Everyone (a big crowd, a mass process) was promised a CPAP and all the Ambien you ever need as enticement to go through the process, which includes quarterly office visits forever.

These mills got a little too aggressive, every small town had one for a while until Medicare changed the rules and they are now gone.

I tried the CPAP but like 90% of the folks I put it in the closet where it still lives.

I'm still suffering along, waiting for something new and tolerable.

Since then I've had another sleep study (after waiting the required 3 years) and they said they would write a letter for a mouth appliance. But they never did.

Good luck, lots of weak doctors in this easy money business.

YMMV

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Dr. Aris Iatridis at Georgia Lung is good.

Reactions: hma153

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
I cannot tolerate cpap for several reasons, but had excellent results with weight loss and epap. Search for provent for an example of epap. But keep in mind that while significantly less intrusive than cpap, epap is also less effective and will not work well with extreme cases of apnea. This is where the weight loss may help. I was only 25lbs overweight, but losing that weight moved me from severe apnea to moderate. Your gp may be able to write you a scrip for epap since you've already been diagnosed. The provent epap are cheap and easy to use, so it would be worth a try.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
I know someone that needs it (or something), so any info would be great.

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
I was diagnosed with sleep apnea some 10 years ago. One thing to determine is what type of apnea you have, central or obstructive. My main issue was obstructive with some central, the central likely being learned from severe obstruction.

Weight can play a part but may not be the problem. I was 6'2:145lbs and could out snore anyone. We insulated my room growing up my snoring was so bad.

I tried the CPAP which made matters worse. Finally found an ENT (DR Golf in Cartersville) who found the issue. The procedure does not get very good reviews as it has been used on people who were not really candidates but for me it worked wonders. Research UPPP. Find a doctor that understands apnea and make sure you know what you are in for.

The procedure is painful. I didn't find it bad but have always been told I have a high tolerance for pain. Read stories, everyone says it was painful and I met a gentleman that was having it done and the pain he described after the fact, I would not have done it had I heard his story first.

If your apnea is not obstructive do not have the procedure done, it will not help.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,617 Posts
What doctors or clinics near you will your health insurance plan cover?
Or can you choose anybody, even out-of-network?

·
Token Liberal Hippie
13,680 Posts
CPAP changed my life. Dr Head in Gainesville helped me out.

I had an at home study with 35 events per hour (80+ on my back) and since starting therapy I’m down to 1-2 events per hour. It quite literally saved my marriage.

·
Ninjaneering Computers
2,662 Posts
My CPAP was a miracle for me. I had 54 events per hour before the machine.

Now I've lost enough weight that I'm thinking of redoing my sleep study, but in not sure if I can go back to sleeping without the machine.

Whoever you choose, do it. You'll need a week or two to get used to the machine, but you'll feel so much better.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I went through Fusion Sleep in Johns Creek. I picked up my CPAP machine Thursday. It is like trying to sleep with an octopus wrapped around your face. When I fall asleep, the machine starts pumping air like it is trying to inflate a truck tire, damn near killing me. So far, I have to sit up because reclining causes me to knock the mask loose and the air pressure increases. I was advised that getting accustomed to this thing could take several weeks; but I am not sure I will live that long.
During the test, I averaged 81-84 apneas per hour.

·
My Name is Inigo Montoya
4,025 Posts
i was diagnosed with borderline apnea last year, ive tried to use the mask but i find that i take it off after an hour or 2.

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,951 Posts
It took me a few weeks to get used to wearing my mask. Even after almost two years, I still find it bothering me from time to time.

I find myself feeling much better in the mornings with it than without.

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,951 Posts
It took me a few weeks to get used to wearing my mask. Even after almost two years, I still find it bothering me from time to time.

I find myself feeling much better in the mornings with it than without.

·
Token Liberal Hippie
13,680 Posts
I went through Fusion Sleep in Johns Creek. I picked up my CPAP machine Thursday. It is like trying to sleep with an octopus wrapped around your face. When I fall asleep, the machine starts pumping air like it is trying to inflate a truck tire, damn near killing me. So far, I have to sit up because reclining causes me to knock the mask loose and the air pressure increases. I was advised that getting accustomed to this thing could take several weeks; but I am not sure I will live that long.
During the test, I averaged 81-84 apneas per hour.
Does your machine have a ramp setting? Did you have the settings titrated during a study, or is it automatic? The respiratory therapist at your DME provider (the place you picked it up from) should be able to help you with fixing the settings to make it more comfortable. I use Apria and while the customer service toll free number has been terrible the local office in Marietta is absolutely fantastic.

I wear a Philips Amara View full face mask (anatomy and a deviated septum require a full-face for me) and it took four masks and about 3 weeks for me to get used to the machine. The Amara View is low profile and I've even found that I can sleep on my side/stomach comfortably.

Now I can't sleep without it... I feel miserable if I try and Wifey won't allow me in the bedroom without my mask.

Reactions: Adam5

·
Token Liberal Hippie
13,680 Posts
ResMed makes a memory foam mask with a soft touch headgear that’s really nice and comfy, it just sticks up too far for me to be able to sleep comfortably on my stomach.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
ResMed makes a memory foam mask with a soft touch headgear that's really nice and comfy, it just sticks up too far for me to be able to sleep comfortably on my stomach.
I use a Mirage Activa. Works like a bellows - the straps don't secure it to your face, the air pressure does. Turn it on and put your palm near it, it jumps on you like in Alien.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts