Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

New Year's resolution: Become a 'Militia of One'

# Attend an Appleseed training event, in order to hone one's proficiency in rifle marksmanship, and learn something of the "milita mindset"
# Get formal training in firearms use, whether it be basic firearms safety, if you're a beginner, an armed self-defense course, etc.
# Other kinds of training can be just as important as firearms training--basic first aid being a good example
# Get in shape--the vast majority of us will never be Navy SEAL material, but most of us can become more fit than we are right now, even if it's no more than eating a little smarter, taking regular walks, etc.
# Lay in supplies of storable food, potable water, fuel, etc.--you don't necessarily have to build a "bunker," with enough supplies to keep you alive for months, but the ability to be self-sufficient for just a few days can be a lifesaver in the aftermath of hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, civil disturbance, terrorism
http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-s ... tia-of-one

Alright guys, my New Year's Resolution is to get into shape, and of course, continue training harder and doing more.

I've just realized that 2011 is the year that I need to get over my painful back problem, quite being a :censored:, and just man-up, quite whining about it, and just say, Mind over Matter, Pain is just Weakness Leaving the Body. Its going to hurt a lot, but darnit, I'm just going to man up and deal with it, hopefully it won't wind me up with more expensive hospital ER visits, but I'm just done doing what my doctors say, because what they tell me is not helping me out any. Especially, in a bad situation.

I've already gone without any carbs besides a beer since New Years Day! :D :righton:

I've also, done some walking, and I've also done a lot of organizing of things in my home, and done a crap load of firearm training.

Tomorrow it is .308 long distance shooting, and some M4/pistol training tomorrow. Maybe even some .22 just for fun. I'm practicing shooting on the run, shooting while moving to cover, and of course transitions and trigger control. Its a load of fun! :righton: :D

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
The Appleseed event sounds like fun. I qualified as a marksman in basic a long time ago, but need a refresher course since recently buying my first AR.

·
Fattus Patrickus
2,369 Posts
streetriots said:
I don't make New Years resolutions. They are for people who need to wait to have an excuse to better themself.
It must be nice to be so much better than the rest of us slackers. :roll:

Anyway, getting into better shape is on my list as well. I have a good start on mine and my wife's survival gear, but I plan to flesh that out this year. There're several classes I'd like to take, but I'll have to see what kind of funds are left over. '10 was a tough year.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
EJR914 said:

# Attend an Appleseed training event, in order to hone one's proficiency in rifle marksmanship, and learn something of the "milita mindset"
# Get formal training in firearms use, whether it be basic firearms safety, if you're a beginner, an armed self-defense course, etc.
# Other kinds of training can be just as important as firearms training--basic first aid being a good example
# Get in shape--the vast majority of us will never be Navy SEAL material, but most of us can become more fit than we are right now, even if it's no more than eating a little smarter, taking regular walks, etc.
# Lay in supplies of storable food, potable water, fuel, etc.--you don't necessarily have to build a "bunker," with enough supplies to keep you alive for months, but the ability to be self-sufficient for just a few days can be a lifesaver in the aftermath of hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, civil disturbance, terrorism

Alright guys, my New Year's Resolution is to get into shape, and of course, continue training harder and doing more.

I've just realized that 2011 is the year that I need to get over my painful back problem, quite being a :censored:, and just man-up, quite whining about it, and just say, Mind over Matter, Pain is just Weakness Leaving the Body. Its going to hurt a lot, but darnit, I'm just going to man up and deal with it, hopefully it won't wind me up with more expensive hospital ER visits, but I'm just done doing what my doctors say, because what they tell me is not helping me out any. Especially, in a bad situation.

I've already gone without any carbs besides a beer since New Years Day! :D :righton:

I've also, done some walking, and I've also done a lot of organizing of things in my home, and done a crap load of firearm training.

Tomorrow it is .308 long distance shooting, and some M4/pistol training tomorrow. Maybe even some .22 just for fun. I'm practicing shooting on the run, shooting while moving to cover, and of course transitions and trigger control. Its a load of fun! :righton: :D
I blew 2 discs in my lower back a couple years ago and every day hurt. The only thing that made it any better is lifting weights. Since I got back into lifting I havent hurt since

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
atlsrt44 said:
EJR914 said:

I blew 2 discs in my lower back a couple years ago and every day hurt. The only thing that made it any better is lifting weights. Since I got back into lifting I havent hurt since
This.

You can get by with weaker bones and ligaments if you have a corset of muscle surrounding and supporting your spine. Properly done deadlifts and powerlifts coupled with mobility work and massage (especially ART, myofascial release, etc) go a LONG way.

·
68,519 Posts
spector said:
Properly done deadlifts and powerlifts coupled with mobility work and massage (especially ART, myofascial release, etc) go a LONG way.
I lift weights, but I cannot do deadlifts, properly or otherwise, without hurting my lower back. It will feel like it is tearing and leave me disabled for weeks. Needless to say, I do not do them anymore, which is a pity, because when I was a young man I used to workout quite heavily on the deadlift, and I truly think it is a good exercise. I also have to keep squats relatively light. My back does not hurt when actually doing them, but later.

Over the years, I have learned by experience what I can and cannot do. I do what I can.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
spector said:
Properly done deadlifts and powerlifts coupled with mobility work and massage (especially ART, myofascial release, etc) go a LONG way.
I lift weights, but I cannot do deadlifts, properly or otherwise, without hurting my lower back. It will feel like it is tearing and leave me disabled for weeks. Needless to say, I do not do them anymore, which is a pity, because when I was a young man I used to workout quite heavily on the deadlift, and I truly think it is a good exercise. I also have to keep squats relatively light. My back does not hurt when actually doing them, but later.

Over the years, I have learned by experience what I can and cannot do. I do what I can.
Yes, obviously if it hurts, don't do it. I see a lot of people doing DL with cringe-inducing form, but from previous posts regarding weight training you probably were doing them properly. Have you tried front squats at all? They put a bit less force (specifically shear force) on the spine and are a great substitute for back squats. They are also tremendous for developing true core strength, i.e. the ability to resist rotation by the torso. And it complements oly lifts like the snatch and clean nicely as well.

The deadlift is an amazing lift. On Christmas day I pulled a new max of 420lbs (bodyweight 180) whilst wearing a santa hat. (which is good for at least 10lbs on your max :righton:) I do a lot of mobility and foam rolling exercises as well as self myofascial release in conjuction with lifting to keep myself mobile and pain free. If you really would like to get back to deadlifting you should look into improving mobility -- you may find that your pain disappears with some treatment.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
spector said:
Malum Prohibitum said:
spector said:

Yes, obviously if it hurts, don't do it. I see a lot of people doing DL with cringe-inducing form, but from previous posts regarding weight training you probably were doing them properly. Have you tried front squats at all? They put a bit less force (specifically shear force) on the spine and are a great substitute for back squats. They are also tremendous for developing true core strength, i.e. the ability to resist rotation by the torso. And it complements oly lifts like the snatch and clean nicely as well.

The deadlift is an amazing lift. On Christmas day I pulled a new max of 420lbs (bodyweight 180) whilst wearing a santa hat. (which is good for at least 10lbs on your max :righton:) I do a lot of mobility and foam rolling exercises as well as self myofascial release in conjuction with lifting to keep myself mobile and pain free. If you really would like to get back to deadlifting you should look into improving mobility -- you may find that your pain disappears with some treatment.
I do yoga to compliment lifting. Excellent for stretching out muscles.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
streetriots said:
I don't make New Years resolutions. They are for people who need to wait to have an excuse to better themself.
I don't think it's that most people intentionally wait to better themselves. Many people get so caught up with taking care of work responsibilities, taking care of their family, taking care of pets, maintaining their home, etc that they lose sight of the fact that they should be taking better care of themselves or bettering themselves. New Years makes you stop and reflect on those things that you should be doing. I don't think it's a bad thing.

·
Banned
6,624 Posts
dcannon1 said:
streetriots said:
I don't think it's that most people intentionally wait to better themselves. Many people get so caught up with taking care of work responsibilities, taking care of their family, taking care of pets, maintaining their home, etc that they lose sight of the fact that they should be taking better care of themselves or bettering themselves. New Years makes you stop and reflect on those things that you should be doing. I don't think it's a bad thing.
It's just one of those "traditions" that people do. Sort of like how up north folks close their pools on Labor day, even if the next two weeks are forecast to be 85 degrees and sunny, or how folks down here hit the roads when they are icy to rape the stores of bread and milk.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
streetriots said:
:roll: :roll: :roll:

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Malum Prohibitum said:
spector said:

I used to LOVE doing dead lifts, it was one of my favorite workouts! It really stinks that I cannot do it anymore. If I did one, I would be on the floor screaming. It really stinks.

I also cannot do squats without hurting my back like crazy as well. My back hurts really bad when doing them, and then I'll be laid up, unable to move for about 5 days afterwards. :(

I'm going to do whatever I have to do to lose weight and get in better shape. I've just got to be a little bit more careful than the normal person.

I figure EATING right will be the first step. Then walking around the neighborhood, because I cannot run at the moment.

My fear is that if I do TOO much at one time, I'll have to start taking the bad, very dangerous pain pills, and I never.... ever... want to get started on the route! Once you're hooked you're DONE forever. I'm so glad I don't normally have to take them, because celebrex and baclofen take care of almost all the problems. They are non-narcotic.

While I'm doing that, I'm going to start doing some very LIGHT P90X, with NO weight of course. As I drop weight, I'll try to add a tiny bit of weight.

Wish me some luck with my back. I know I'm going to feel a lot of pain, but just pray that I can do it without too much pain. Mind over Matter. I've got to do it.

I mean what would happen during the Zombie Apocalypse :wildeyed: :wildeyed: :wildeyed: without Cardio Training... Its one of the rules from Zombieland! :lol: Of course I'm just kidding. Everyone calm down. :D

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
atlsrt44 said:
I do yoga to compliment lifting. Excellent for stretching out muscles.
I might have to try that out... sounds pansy, but I'm sure the ladies in Madison doing Yoga are probably very nice people.

atlsrt44 said:
I didn't know that... looks like we're in the same boat. When I feel comfortable adding some weights back to it, I will definitely try it! Thank you. :D :righton:

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
dcannon1 said:
streetriots said:
This is why I did it. I just happened to be reflecting on the past few years and I realized I have let myself go since I had my initial incident, and that I was really in a bad shape, because I always worried about my wife and now my daughter more than myself, but I realize I must take care of myself if I want to take care of them.

As far as the elitist that is just too good for New Years Resolutions, I just made a New Years Resolution, so yes, you were talking about me, and maybe you could be a little POSITIVE, and supportive instead of being a sarcastic negative Nancy about the changes to my lifestyle, whether or not it was a NYR or not.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts