Need a new setup for a Wedding

Discussion in 'Holsters / Method of Carry' started by XD9SC, Dec 8, 2010.

1. XD9SC

XD9SC New Member

Currently my arsenal is limited. I only have a XD 9mm SubCompact http://www.springfield-armory.com/xd.php?version=59 and a uncle mikes size 15 iwb holster.

I will be in the wedding and will be wearing a tux/suit. I will not be carrying at the church but will be carrying at the reception and possibly where ever the pictures are going to be taken.

My question is which new holster(post examples if you have them) should I buy to be able to CC in a tux/suit? I would like to be able to take my jacket off and also I could imagine it being necessarily to take pictures with the jacket off.

Just to head off any comments I would not mind OCing but it is not my wedding and been told it is not an option.

I am open to buying a small 380 for my pocket but it is my last option.
    If you think it will be lost cause to try to CC let me know and I will start shopping around for a 380(not set on 380 but seems like it would fill the role).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. Puffyfish

Puffyfish New Member

Simple, an ankle holster. :righton:

3. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

Agreed!.....or a pocket holster. A shoulder holster would only work if you keep your jacket on, and nobody does that at the reception. Forget anything that will need a belt. You won't be wearing one. Suspenders!

4. XD9SC

XD9SC New Member

Good thought I forgot about ankle hostler.

I can put the pistol in my jean pocket that I am wearing today. How ever it is really to big for the pocket. I would have to wait till I pick up the tux to see if it would even fit in the pocket.

Any one have any recommendations for an ankle hostler for a double stack 9mm. I am open to try it but have a concern that someone even makes an ankle holster that size. The firearm size is in between a glock 26 and glock 19. So it is kind of large.

5. Melissa5

Melissa5 Active Member

Smartcarry or Thunderwear?

6. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

A tuckable IWB like RGrizzle's City Slicker worked just fine for me. I tucked the gun inside my shirt, shirt covering the handle, and lowered it way down. Get the right clips that are hidden well by your belt and you're good to go. I was able to take off my tux jacket, and nobody was the wiser. Something like this may work fine for you, and you are already used to carry IWB on your waist. You would already know the draw and wouldn't have to retrain your draw. Just thinking out loud here.

7. XD9SC

XD9SC New Member

Smart Carry looks like an possible option.

Does any one know of a shop that has IWB tuckable hostlers in stock. I would like to handle it and make sure my XD would fit. In the past week or two I have called down to my local shop and they did not have one. I am in Atlanta and don't mind a little adventure to a store outside the city.

EJR914 what where you carrying in the IWB tuckable hostler?

8. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

Tuxedo pants do not come with belt loops. Forget anything that needs a belt.

9. XD9SC

XD9SC New Member

Yeah I remember having the conversation with the fitter at the store about the lack of belt loops.

So smart carry seems to be the method.

Has anyone carry a double stack pistol in a belly band? I was thinking about under my arm pit.

10. Archangel

Archangel Moderator Staff Member

If your tux has a cummerbund use a belly band. I did that at the last wedding I stood up in.

11. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

Unless you are a very large man, I don't think it will work very well on your ankle. Even though your XD is a sub-compact, it is still a pretty bulky gun.

A Kahr P or CW series, or some other similar single stack 9mm would work very well for this situation.

A Clip-draw would work well for the XDsc since it has a grip safety on it, worn in the appendix position with your cummerbund hiding the gun. That way you could take off your jacket. I would wear suspenders for this. If you are wearing a vest, then it will not work since you will not be wearing a cummerbund.

Another option would be the 5.11 holster t-shirt http://www.511tactical.com/browse/Home/ ... 0700:50705 or the A Better Holster undershirt http://www.abetterholster.com/
    I bet the 5.11 would work best for the XD, because the gun is wider and can be worn lower under the arm. The A Better Holster holds the gun pretty high up under the arm pit and could be a comfort problem.

12. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

You need to consider all the glad handing, hugging and patting on the back that goes on at a wedding. (Unless no one likes you :p) The location of the gun is very important in these types of situations if you don't want to be discovered. This is why I feel wearing the gun in the front will help you keep people from coming in contact with it.

13. drtybykr

drtybykr New Member

And if they feel it "down there" you can tell them you are VERY happy to see them :lol:

14. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

Of course, that might depend on who it is that feels it.................. :D

15. EJR914

3 o'clock or 3:30. Depending on the shirt, sometimes 3 o'clock is more easily seen. If that's a problem, 4 o'clock makes it vanish for good.

My P229 is also quite a bit larger than your XDSC, and is double stacked as well. Isn't the XDSC double stack?

I got plenty of hugs and everything at the wedding, nobody bumped it, and even if they did, tell them its a Colostomy bag, if you don't know them well, or are not close to you, not family, friends, whatever. They usually don't say another word about it. :lol: Just kidding.

16. XD9SC

XD9SC New Member

I am currently checking to see if we are wearing cummerbunds. If so I think that is going to be my best option for the wedding and I will just keep using my IWB at 12:00 or so. The clip can just go over the pants and suspenders will be a must.

EJR914 yeah it is double stack mag 13+1.

I will have to work on why I carry a gun statement just in case some one see's it and asks. Just so I will have a short and sweet answer for them.

I still would like to get IWB tuckable for other occasions (holidays and semi causal dress) any good shops around Atlanta that have a good selection of them?

17. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

No. Buy something like a Comp-Tac Minotaur or C-Tac, Crossbreed or something like that. You will not find them in stores more than likely. I would recommend a hybrid since the XD is already bulky. Hybrids are less bulkier than leather usually.

18. SongDogSniper

SongDogSniper New Member

I have done that with a Glock 30. Have carried it using a belly band and the Uncle Mike's Body Armor / Belly Band holster. I have also carried it under the armpit using this same holster with body armor as well. Has worked well for me in both cases for a long time, does a great job for a $10 holster.

19. drtybykr

drtybykr New Member

hit up the gun show this weekend. There will be a plethora of holsters under one roof.

20. EJR914

If you've got the time and money, definitely have one made, or if not, there might be tuckables at a gun show, if time is an element here.

All the good ones have already been listed here. Happy concealing.

All my close friends and family know I carry everywhere anyway, so the Colostomy bag thing is really for those pesky people that want to act like you're a weirdo for being armed all the time. :screwy: :sly: Just kidding.