need a new roof

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by stompbox, Oct 23, 2013.

1. stompbox

stompbox Member

We need to replace our old 3 tab roof. I'm looking at either architectural shingles or a metal roof.

I'm looking for brand recommendations for both options. I assume that each manufacturer has different lines, so if you have any opinions, fire away.

2. TITAN308

TITAN308 :) :) :)

Personally?

I like the LEGO brand.

3. seereus

seereus Active Member

Be choosy about your metal. There is quite a bit of Chinese crap being brought into the country now. The coils are of a piss poor quality, and so is
    the paint.

Stompbox I sent you a PM with some info however I can not tell since the software upgrade if my pms are actually going out.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  4. stompbox

stompbox Member

Go it. Thanks, seereus.

5. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

State Farm offers a discount if the metal roof you have has undergone hail damage testing. It's on their website.

6. mountainpass

7. stompbox

stompbox Member

Guess who has State Farm for house insurance? Thanks for the tip.

8. RebelCowboySnB

RebelCowboySnB Opinion Taken Elsewhere.

Here is a Ga manufacturer of metal roofing that sells direct to the public. Great price, respected family an the girls that work in the office are great to talk to.

http://kcrmetal.com/

9. mountainpass

Well when I built my house they didn't have that program. Once I heard about it I checked and my brand hadn't been tested. My agent said the discount is small, but I assume that the test should prove which brands are somewhat durable.

I really like my metal roof. It will cost you more than throwing another layer of shingles on there, but with hopefully a longer lasting and less maintance roof.

10. RebelCowboySnB

RebelCowboySnB Opinion Taken Elsewhere.

How much a square food does shingles cost now? KCR roofing comes out to about $0.60 a square foot. (+cap an screws) Thats about $1K for my 30x40 house.

11. mountainpass

Your right it's a push on the shingle vs. metal cost. The savings is in the cost of labor. Two men can install a lot of metal on the average roof in a day.

12. zetor

zetor Well-Known Member

Yes it’s an old thread..acknowledged.
    Who are good roofers in the north west metro area that do metal roofing?
    Are hidden fasteners worth the extra expense or do the screw on types have a longer seal/washer life than they did? How much of the expense of a metal roof would be recouped in 10-15 years when selling the house? Is someone likely to pass on a house that is the only one in the neighborhood with a metal roof?

13. dhaller

dhaller Active Member

I can't answer specific questions about metal roofing, but Team Roofing did the Spanish tile roofing on my house in Atlanta, and they were very professional; they do metal roofs as well. Worth giving them a call: https://teamroofing.com

As for real estate impact, it's hard to say, but if the neighborhood isn't too "cookie cutter" (ie. it's not a developer-built subdivision) then it's just another unique house, whereas in a more "planned" neighborhood it might look out of place (of course, such a neighborhood would probably have an HOA covenant banning metal roofs anyway, so it's moot!)

DH

14. atlsrt44

atlsrt44 Well-Known Member

If you are planning on selling in that time why not just stick with asphalt shingles? For resale value id think a nice architectural shingle would do the trick

15. Mike J

Mike J Member

I have no idea who would do a good job on that side of town (we live SouthEast of ATL) but we had our roof replaced with metal last summer. It changed the look of the house for the better & there was only about $1000 dollars difference between the cost of metal & shingles. Of course there are pricier types of metal roofs than what we got.

16. zetor

zetor Well-Known Member

Could you tell a difference in the electric bill from that point onward? You say only 1000.00 difference. Was this a tear off off of existing shingles or an install over them?

As cookie cutter as cookie cutter gets
    I may or may not sell it. It might be a rental with me being 100 miles or farther away or I might sell it in 10 years. No real certain plan

17. dhaller

dhaller Active Member

Well you must be bound by an HOA covenant... I would assume? I'm sure they require HOA approval for roofing? That would certainly make your decision, well, easier.

That said, Owens Corning Duration shingles I've been happy with (I have a house with *those* as well, which was an insurance-covered roofing job). Peachtree Roofing did the install, and it was a good experience.

Tip: have the roofing inspector check out your existing shingles to see if they are "fake" architectural shingles. A few years ago (well, 10-15), a bunch of developer-built subdivisions were putting "architectural look" asphalt shingles on houses, and they're obsolete (and crappy, as they get too hot and melt the adhesive), so it's an insured replacement. Peachtree Roofing (in my case) were good buddies with State Farm, and they got together and handled everything smoothly.

DH

18. atlsrt44

atlsrt44 Well-Known Member

Atlas chalet would be the shingle you are referencing. Most insurance companies won't replace your roof because you have a defective shingle. Now if there is storm damage to at least 1 of them then most will replace your roof at that point.

19. Mike J

Mike J Member

Zetor they cut back the existing shingles away from the edges & roofed over them. We have experienced a difference in the electric bill but how much is attributable to the roof I cannot say. About the same time I had the roof done I finished in the bonus room over the garage. I didn't want to pull away from the unit serving the rest of the house so I installed a through the wall unit with ac & a heat pump up there. Also about this same time I changed out the plenum (filter box)for the central return air for the unit serving the rest of the house. It was improperly sized & choking the unit. Our bill has been about 10% less than it was this time last year. That is even with an added room & unit but how much is due to the roof & how much is because of me finally correcting the return air sizing I don't know.

Edited to add: The price I had on getting a shingle roof replaced came from a neighbor that is in the business. They would have torn off the existing shingles & replaced them if I had went that route.