Need a job this is nuts

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by vanguard, Oct 25, 2010.

1. vanguard

vanguard New Member

I have been out of work for 17 months now and i have applied everywhere ,and nothing, is this the end of the u.s.? no jobs. :screwy: i have a good friend in south fla , and the samething and he is a master electrician.

2. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

What do you have experience doing?

What are you interested in doing?

Where the hell is Maysville and how far are you willing to travel?

3. vanguard

vanguard New Member

I am a great forklift driver, electrical helper, auto repair , customer service / service tech for medical supplies ,oxygen equipment, nebs, c-paps, by-paps, stockman, I know a lot about gun,s, I can fix allmost anything electrical, plumbing, and maysvill is 24 miles from from Athens and 18 miles from gainesville, and 76 miles north of Atlanta. off I-85 and exit 147. :(

4. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Do you have certifications in any of these fields?

5. the279

the279 New Member

Good Luck Boy ....

Are you think start your own business?

I try that after loss my Truck Driver job
    seven years ago !!!

:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

6. budone1967

budone1967 Die Hard GCO Recruiter

Jobs are scarce, my best friend has been out of work for two years this month. He has applied everywhere, even asseblying bikes at a local toy store. He hasn't found anything yet.

7. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

I don't know about the others, but a certification of any kind for a forklift is going to be all but worthless anywhere but the place you got it. A state "forklift license" is only good if you work for a state agency driving that lift. OSHA requires all employers to train all employees who operate equipment individually per a prescribed training plan unique to that employer, including a written, visual, and hands-on test. Prior experience helps training significantly but if Wal Mart has certified you to drive a lift it won't be any good at Target.

OP, I'll rattle some bushes in that area. I've got family and friends, and former coworkers who might be able to find something.

One thing I've gotta ask... that I HATE having to ask, but I have to, because it's my name and reputation on the line with my contacts... OP, You will pass a drug test, show up to work on time, do your job as assigned, and all that stuff, right? I've been burned with referring folks before...

8. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

well you can always go back to school...with pell i get about 1k$ a semester for books and i try not to buy any unless its a class i know ill need them in :shattered: next semester i hope to get HOPE so ill be able to loosen my budget a little more...

9. gixxer750

gixxer750 Member

Jersey mikes seem to be always hiring.. Could help out while looking for a real job.

10. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Just ideas, nothing personal.

1) Are you giving-off negative vibes when you talk to potential employers? Talking about how bad the economy is, etc.? Talking about how you've been out of work? Talking about being desperate for a job? Etc. These probably aren't good subjects to talk about.

2) Examine the way you look. Could you get a better haircut? Shave? Hide your tatoos & piercings, etc.? Dress a little nicer? Loose a few pounds? Etc.

3) Is your resume done correctly?

4) Are you displaying positive professional habits during the interviews (and certainly not displaying any negative habits)? Manners? Good hygiene? Smiling?

5) Are you networking? Try talking to friends, familiy, neighbors, the church, people you know (everyone) and ask/tell them you need a job. Consider contacting former employers and asking about new openings.

6) Are you getting up and going to look for jobs every day as if it was your job? Every day (with, perhaps, Sunday and major holidays being the exception)? I would say it should primarily be the first half of the work day but pretty much the full day until you find a job.

7) Are you turning down (or not even applying to) lower paid jobs? Some money is better than no money and it seems easier to get a job while you've already got one.

Just food for thought.

11. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

I'd forget about all of them but the service tech for med supplies. There should still be jobs to support those devices. The only problem is you will likely have a 152 mile daily commute.

12. mb90535im

mb90535im Well-Known Member

Although I think it is crazy in the present economy, the length of time you've been unemployed might be negatively impacting your chances of landing a job.

I have seen a couple of articles on the subject recently where employers are telling applicants, "If you've been unemployed > 6 months forget it, we don't want you."

13. hma153

hma153 Uninvited Guest

Kennesaw Call Center Hiring 1,400
    while maybe not your ideal position, perhaps this would help...?

14. BWCustoms

BWCustoms New Member

You are not going to like what I am about to say.

Start applying for jobs that you would other wise feel you are beneath you.

About 5 years ago I went from making $15.00 an hour as a network (computers) contractor to making $8.00 an hour washing dishes at a local Ruby Tuesdays. I did that for 2 years before going to work for Comcast (now Im at $20+ an hour). My mother had to beat it into my brain. I may be completely wrong, but it sounds like you are applying for jobs that:

1. Pay what you want

2. Are only related to fields you have worked in

17 months without work and you are telling me you couldnt get a job cooking food? washing dishes? serving? taking out the garbage? anything? I find that hard to beleive.

Sorry to be blunt, but I was the same way until I lowered my standards....

15. Owl

Owl New Member

To those who still have jobs, it's always the fault of the jobless. amazing.

mb, employers like that are going to soon be hard pressed to find anyone looking for a job they can hire. I fear the job market is only going to get worse. It's not that there aren't jobs out there - it's that there are so many people trying to get them.

16. BWCustoms

BWCustoms New Member

Im not trying to be mean, but at what point (time period) does it seem like someone isnt doing a hard enough job to find work?

17 months is almost a year and a half without work. I find that extremely hard to beleive if said person is applying for "any" and "all" possible work. Most times this particular cases are because the person refuses to accept (or even apply) for a job that:

A. Isn't within they work field
    B. Doesnt pay what they want (more this than anything else I beleive)

The only reason I comment is because I use to be this way, I was a computer guy, anything not involving computers I didn't want anything to do with. But after 6 months, a job was a job, and within 3 days of applying at local eateries and stuff unrelated to computers - I got a job washing dishes. :shattered:

Actually turned out to be the funnest job I've ever had. If I could be paid $20+ an hour to wash dishes I would do it in a heartbeat. I have alot of fond memories clowing around in the kitchen with the servers, cooks and even management.

17. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

+1 to DJ...McDonalds is always hiring and in fact McD's around here you can make 35k+ as a manager and even more as a store or general manager the store and general around here get stock options and a company car on top of the increased salary...i think a GM pulls about 70k+insurance+car+stock

18. Nullifier

Nullifier Active Member

In the OP's defense, there are now about the same number of people unemployed (about 15 million) as in 1934 in the middle of the Great Depression. Yes there are more Americans now, so the unemployment rate is a lower percentage. But 15 million people is a lot of people without work. The ACTUAL rate (unemployed plus underemployed or part-time instead of full-time) is 17.5%.

There was a CBS 60 Minutes special on this last Sunday. In same places, unemployment is over 20%. There is a reason unemployment benefits have been extended to 99 weeks, or almost two years. About half of the unemployed are taking at least a year or more to find a job, any job, even a menial one. The "99'ers" as they are called, have been out of work almost two years and have exhausted any benefits. And they are getting desperate.

With all due respect, if I am employer, and say, an engineer or computer programmer or a lawyer comes to me applying for a minimum wage, part time job like washing dishes at Ruby Tuesday, and at the same time, a teenager applies for the same job....an employer is more likely to hire the teenager. Why? Because the employer knows the professional guy is desperate and will 100% leave that job the very instant he finds something better. In reality, the older professional with a family to feed probably needs that job more and has a better work ethic, but ...... it's likely the kid will get hired and not the 40 year old with an education and experience. It's a matter of perception. Even if the older worker doesn't consider the entry level job to be degrading, the employer may THINK "in his mind, he's too good for this type of work, he doesn't want to be here".

Just saying, it's not that easy to find even a part-time, entry-level, minimum-wage job if you are an older person with several years of experience.

19. BWCustoms

BWCustoms New Member

Well, I dont think eateries hire for any level of employement (minus management) thinking the employees are going to make a career out of serving, or washing dishes.

When they hired me, one of the first questions was "I see your pay history, you know we cant come anywhere near that right?"

We had a good laugh and I told them a job was a job and I was fine with what they offered.

Edit: If I am off base about the OP then Im truely sorry - I just cant comprehend unable to find any form of work for a year and a half. Even these 2 year people I think something is off.

20. mb90535im

mb90535im Well-Known Member

I heard that ("overqualified") several times the last time I was out of work, even when applying for lower-level jobs in the same field. (Older IS/IT manager here.)