Need a good rifle smith

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Boy Racer, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Boy Racer

Boy Racer New Member

I'm looking for a good rifle smith to go over two rifles that I've been given: a Mauser and a .30-40 Krag. I have no information about either one, they were in the estate of a guy for whom my mother served as executrix. Mom knows I'm a gun guy, so she gave them to me. The deceased guy just "had" these weapons, he was not a shooter. I have no reason to believe he ever shot either of them.

They may for all I know about them by fine and dandy and ready to shoot today, they may need a good cleaning or they may be junk. I am not a long gun expert (or an "anything" expert for that matter) so I would like a skilled eye to look them over before I go shoot them.

I am not looking for who's the closest to my home or who's the cheapest or who provides the fastest service, I'm looking for a quality smith who knows what s/he's doing so I can shoot without worry. Anywhere w/in 3-4 hours drive of north Atlanta is fine by me.

Thank you.

[edit] Oops, I forgot about the dealers/smith forum. I should have posted this there. Could a mod help a brotha' out and move this for me? Thanks.[/edit]

2. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired New Member

The store my wife works at has an excellent smith. The store is American Outdoor Adventures in Leesburg, Ga. The smith does not work at the store but comes in on Monday afternoons to pick up and drop off. His name is Dennis and if you call them they should be able to tell you when he will be there so you can call to discuss it with him. The number at the store is 229-434-0539. Ask for Jay and tell him Chuck recommended you to call there to find out when Dennis will be in.