Need a competent gunsmith north of ATL

Discussion in 'Ranges, Dealers & Smiths' started by carp, Jun 12, 2016.

1. carp

carp New Member

I need some simple work done on a couple rifles but having a hard time finding one that can thread a barrel. Any suggestions with contact info would be great, thanks for any help

2. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

How far north of Atlanta? I use a smith in Dallas.

3. carp

carp New Member

Well I live in Dawsonville but I would travel if I could not find someone close

4. carp

carp New Member

Maybe Alpharetta, Johns Creek area, Cumming

5. zetor

zetor Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  6. rabbivj

rabbivj My Name is Inigo Montoya

id recomment Josh Mallet at Armistad Armory in alpharetta...former instructor at CST, trained 2 very competent gun smiths at 2 other stores...

7. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

Give Andy Gazaway a call
    Gazaway Machine & Tool

1025 Nine North Drive
    Alpharetta
    GA 30004-3966
    Phone: (770) 576-0011

They do excellent work but are usually a bit swamped because of that.

8. carp

carp New Member

Thanks Rabbiv I will give him a call!Thanks Fall for your effort but I have used Andy before and he can't gunsmith his way out of a paper bag and I had to threaten to call police and start a small claims case just to get my guns back that he could not fix ( I fixed both myself a year later after looking up stuff snd some study) not to mention he lost the screws that came in on an old revolver. Do again thanks for going through the trouble of suggesting someone but I can never use Andy again ever

9. 9x19 shooter

9x19 shooter New Member

I've never had any luck with local gunsmiths, i've been to three different ones and don't know how anyone of them is still in business with the lack of communication and customer service. Most of them seem to have the personality of a brick. last barrel I needed threaded, I sent off to Adco and had back in about a week. This was after I had dropped it off at a gunsmith for about a month, when I took it in he had "oh **** more work to do" look.

10. carp

carp New Member

I never thought of mailing out the barrels, I may try that. Do you mind me asking who you used?

11. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Is Gazaway still in business? I tried calling him a few times about a year ago and didn't get through. I drove by the shop and it was dark and couldn't see in. Maybe he had phone problems and maybe I happened to stop by when he was taking the day off, but I thought his shop was closed permanently. I assumed that.

12. zetor

zetor Well-Known Member

I sent an action and an unchanbered barrell to Ray Bowman at Precision Rifle and Tool in Mebane NC. He did a chamber, cut and crown and I had it back in less than 2 weeks.

http://www.precisionriflesales.com/

13. carp

carp New Member

I do not know if Andy is still in business, I hope not. Thanks Zetor I will call them

14. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

He mentioned ADCO. They're in OH but they do some very nice and reasonably priced work for those of us that don't have a machine shop in the basement. I've used then before and they currently have my MK18 CQBR upper receiver for some work.

Main site
    https://www.adcofirearms.com/

Shop services
    https://www.adcofirearms.com/shopservices/

15. halflife78

halflife78 New Member

Moss Firearms in Jasper, GA has been real good for me so far. I recently had him thread my .17HMR barrel for my suppressor with no problems.

http://jasperguns.com/