Need a backup knife

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by EARN, Jul 3, 2007.

1. EARN

EARN New Member

I've always been a fan of pocket knives. I have a small collection of older knives that were my grandfathers.. Can anyone recommend a good carry knife? I know that Gerber and Spyderco have good reputations but what else is out there? I know there are knives with assisted opening mechanisms and plain ol' manual openers. What do you carry and recommend?

2. M249

M249 New Member

I'm getting a SOG. A good friend has one, and they are excellent knives.

If I really wanted to spend money, I'd get a Bill Harsey knife.

3. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

I used to carry a nice and expensive Mel Pardue Benchmade till it got lost. :x Now I carry a nice but not so expensive Ken Onion Leek by Kershaw.

4. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I carry a Benchmade Griptillian.

I don't go anywhere without this knife. (void where prohibited...sometimes)

But it is honestly one of the best knives I have ever bought, I am am constantly searching for a knife that is better. Since getting this knife I have yet to find one.

5. peashooter

peashooter New Member

[​IMG]

Description: The Gerber AR 3.00 BBS Serrated is an exciting knife that combines excellent materials with unique design features. The handle is made from aircraft grade aluminum, and has Kraton¨ rubber inserts on the side and on the top that are molded through the aluminum. This guarantees that they will not work loose over time. The serrated blade is made of black Teflon coated 440 stainless steel, and has a right and left thumb stud for easy opening. The AR 3.00 BBS also features a removable pocket clip. This knife is covered by Gerber Blade's limited Lifetime warranty.

This is my Gerber Carry Knife

6. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

7. EARN

EARN New Member

Thanks for all the great suggestions and quick response. Looks like I have some web surfing to do this afternoon to check out all the recommendations.

8. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

9. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

$179 !!! - :shock: Is that American money?

10. CoolHand

CoolHand Active Member

+100 for Emersons. I've carried a full size Commander every day for 7 years. I love the wave. You get what you pay for.

Spydercos and Benchmades are ok too. Gerber blade tips break really easy if you try to pry with it. I had a SOG pentagon elite. It fell apart in about 2 months.

11. Cavediver

Cavediver New Member

:shock:
    That's why I carry a pocket sized multitool.

12. EARN

EARN New Member

Can I buy a quality knife locally or is it something I will need to order online? I would like to hold a couple different models to see how they fit in my hand. I think I saw Gerber at Fry's during their grand opening. I'm pretty sure I don't want a Gerber.

13. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

As much as I do not want to reccomend their shop because of a past incident there, David's Gun Room (or some such name) has a decent selection of knives. Got the Benchmade there.

If you are near, or don't mind making the drive to, the Macon area, there is a MASSIVE BassPro shop there that has a simply mind boggling amount of knives (and guns).

14. EARN

EARN New Member

15. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Oh, and I highly suggest you get a feel for one in person before you buy.

I almost bought a Benchmade knife (the name escapes me now) and when I got to see it in person it was way too big. Got the Griptillian and never looked back.

16. EARN

EARN New Member

There's a Bass Pro shop near the Mall of Georgia which is a lot closer to me then Macon. I might give that a shot this weekend. Thanks for the heads up.

17. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I thought it was at Discover Mills...

18. EARN

EARN New Member

Maybe it is. I know it's one of those two 8)

19. peashooter

peashooter New Member

You carry a pink knife
    :rotfl:
    [​IMG]

20. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

:lol: