Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
68,510 Posts
Columbus, Nebraska, is considering banning concealed carry.

Joe Jarecke, vice chairman of the committee, said he would support a citywide ban of concealed weapons.

Carrying concealed handguns “is not necessary in our city. We can do without it,†Jarecke said. “I see no reason for people to carry guns around here in Columbus.â€

You see the mind of some people. If they see no "need," then you go to jail. Interesting philosophy of government . . .

Here are the places off limits, according to the article:

The law prohibits carrying a concealed weapon into any law enforcement facility; courtroom; polling place during a bona fide election, meeting of any government body, financial institution, professional, semiprofessional, or collegiate athletic event; in or on school property or at a school-sponsored activity or athletic event; place of worship; emergency room or trauma center; political rally or fundraiser; bar; where the person, persons, entity, or entities in control of the property or employer in control of the property has prohibited carrying concealed handguns into or onto the place or premises, or into or onto any other place or premises where handguns are prohibited by law, rule or regulation.

Link to article: http://www.columbustelegram.com/article ... cealed.txt

Some people posted some angry comments!

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
My understanding is they had the votes for pre-emption but ran out of time.
Big order of business next year.

I watched the final debate and the opponets realy wanted them to withdraw the bill to include pre-emption. They know their fighting a losing battle.

·
Professional Troll
2,125 Posts
ICP_Juggalo said:
[quote="Malum Prohibitum":vy8izb9f][quote="geaux_tigers":vy8izb9f] . . . but I think he may be a convicted felon.
In Georgia, that would disqualify him from his line of work, too.[/quote:vy8izb9f]

True true, since in GA bail recovery agents must be able to qualify for a GA firearms license before they can become a certified bail recovery agent.

But that is something I don't quite understand. Why are bail recovery agents only permitted to aquire a GA firearms license (OCGA16-11-129) but they cannot obtain a special weapons permit (OCGA43-38-10) that would enable them to carry where ever a LEO can carry, given their line of work?[/quote:vy8izb9f]

Had an interesting conversation with a bail recovery agent yesterday at work. I asked politely what kind of license did he have to have to carry his firearm. He showed it to me it was a GFL issued under 16-11-129. He also showed me his bail bonding license that he also had to carry. I asked him how did he effect an arrest if the person he was after was in a publc gathering and how did he carry without violating the law. He said that when he goes to the county sheriff for an arrest warrant for the person they are try to recover bond. That arrest warrant gives the bearer (in this case the bail recovery agent) Law Enforcement powers to use almost any means necessary to apprehend the fugitive. Which simply means, while he is in possession of an arrest warrant and trying to effect an arrest, he is an "honorary" law enforcement officer and thus not subjected to the restrictions of 16-11-127 while carrying with a GFL!

I remembered that under GA law there are law enforcement officers and there are peace officers. Peace officers are mandated by P.O.S.T. and have arrest powers anywhere in the state. Law enforcement officers are tasked with making sure the law is enforced, but has only limited powers and limited arrest powers usually restricted to where they work. i.e. I worked as a deputy sheriff, but I was not mandated a peace officer, so I only had powers of arrest inside the jail, sheriff's office, the county buildings in the county in which I worked, and if an inmate escaped I had powers of arrest for that inmate anywhere within the county. I never got my "bubba card" that showed I was exempt from the firearm laws, but I was required to have a GFL and if I had to go out of the county on S/O business I had to have written permission from the sheriff to have a weapon so I could carry in public buildings if needed.

·
68,510 Posts
Also, Lincoln's "proposed ordinance would extend that ban to all buildings owned or leased by county or city government."

·
Sledgehammer
4,765 Posts
When I reviewed places off limits with a CCW, based on PDO's information only, the following states did not appear to have a specific prohibition against carrying in jails:

AK, AL, CA, CO, CT, DE, IA, ME, MD, MI, MN, NH, NM, NJ, NY, OR, PA, RI, SD, TN, WV.

·
68,510 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
Columbus, Nebraska, is considering banning concealed carry.

Joe Jarecke, vice chairman of the committee, said he would support a citywide ban of concealed weapons.

Carrying concealed handguns “is not necessary in our city. We can do without it,†Jarecke said. “I see no reason for people to carry guns around here in Columbus.â€

You see the mind of some people. If they see no "need," then you go to jail. Interesting philosophy of government . . .

Here are the places off limits, according to the article:

The law prohibits carrying a concealed weapon into any law enforcement facility; courtroom; polling place during a bona fide election, meeting of any government body, financial institution, professional, semiprofessional, or collegiate athletic event; in or on school property or at a school-sponsored activity or athletic event; place of worship; emergency room or trauma center; political rally or fundraiser; bar; where the person, persons, entity, or entities in control of the property or employer in control of the property has prohibited carrying concealed handguns into or onto the place or premises, or into or onto any other place or premises where handguns are prohibited by law, rule or regulation.

Link to article: http://www.columbustelegram.com/article ... cealed.txt

Some people posted some angry comments!
Well, three days ago, the city held a vote and voted to keep the ban on concealed carry in Columbus, Nebraska. The Chief of Police urged the city to keep the ban.

http://www.columbustelegram.com/article ... eapons.txt

·
68,510 Posts
Well. of course the Chief did. Columbus city ordinance 130.051 states, “it shall be unlawful for any person in the city, officers of the law excepted, to carry concealed on or about his or her person any pistol, revolver ... or any other dangerous or deadly weapon.â€

:censored: hypocrite!

·
68,510 Posts
Gun Taskforce Formed in Kearney

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gun Taskforce Formed in Kearney
http://www.nranews.com/nra.html

Several Kearney residents are tired of being the only ones in Nebraska not allowed to carry concealed weapons. Last month, Kearney mayor Galen Hadley said the city council wasn't even taking up the issue, because citizens hadn't requested it. A group of residents are saying if the mayor hasn't heard them yet, he will. They've gotten together and formed the Kearney 'Right to Carry Concealed' Taskforce. Tonight was the first meeting for people to join, and to inform anyone interested in learning about the concealed-carry ban. The people who attended also brainstormed ideas to bring to the city council.

Walter B. Kamp II , Taskforce Chair, says, "I'm just asking that they put an exception in their ordinance for those who get their permit. Someone who holds a current and valid concealed carrying handgun permit after the first of the year, obviously has taken the training, had the background check, the whole bit; jumped through a bunch of hoops. I believe there is no reason they should be denied."

Nebraska's conceal-carry law, formally known as LB454, asks that residents go through all the stops just mentioned the training, background check, plus paying a $100 fee to get a five-year permit. Some of the folks at tonight's meeting say after going through all that, they feel like the only town whose government doesn't trust them to carry resposibly.

Lucuas Gerdes , Kearney resident, says, "I believe it's kind of backward for Kearney to be one of the only places in Nebraska not to have this."

A few folks also said they didn't feel they needed concealed weapons for protection in Kearney, but they should have the right to do so.

·
68,510 Posts
Proposal to put Universities Off Limits

http://khastv.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=8156

Concealed handguns could not be carried on college campuses under a bill (LB491) introduced Wednesday by Senator John Harms of Scottsbluff. The Legislature passed a law last year allowing people to carry concealed guns, but it prohibits concealed weapons in some places, including schools.

Other places not wanting guns are required to post "conspicuous notice" that handguns are banned there.

Attorney General Jon Bruning ruled last year that colleges and universities are not considered schools under the act. That prompted the University of Nebraska and other institutions to post signs.

Wednesday's bill would add language banning concealed handguns from the grounds of any private or public university or college.

MP, Because we know how much mayhem the people with firearms licenses have been causing in Nebraska after this risky licensing scheme was passed . . .

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
We need to have the restriction against carry at college campuses here repealed.

I hate having to walk to the library at night and only have the blue rape phones. Yeah, lemme tell my attacker to pause one second while I call the campus cops. :roll:

·
68,510 Posts
They really need preemption.

York Council bans guns on municipal property.

The ordinance prohibits anyone from carrying a concealed handgun into or on any "premises, building or structure that is under the control of the city," including "parks, fields, grounds and property." This does not apply to anyone carrying a concealed handgun "as authorized by state law on city streets, alleys, sidewalks, parking lots and right-of-way," nor does it apply to law enforcement officers.
Of course. :roll:

So the Chief supports it:

"Under the current handgun laws for the state of Nebraska, it's a privilege, not a right, to carry a concealed handgun," said Police Chief Don Klug. "With it comes restrictions and allowances for those who don't want handguns in their businesses, in their homes, and in certain buildings (of city property). The legislature recognized that. The legislature also recognized the need to protect kids, by prohibiting in schools, saying that minors cannot have handguns, that no one under 21 can get a permit. We need to do our best to follow their lead."
But apparently, people can still OPEN carry. Odd.

·
68,510 Posts
LB97 passed this morning, expanding the number of gun-free zones."

"We need to get all of you to call Governor Dave Heineman at 402-471-2244 and politely ask him NOT TO SIGN LB97!!!!"

"There are so few days left in the session, we can pocket veto this."

"There are talking points to be made to the guv at joemerchant24.blogspot.com

http://waronguns.blogspot.com/2007/05/n ... alert.html

21 - 34 of 34 Posts