12,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
American
3,289 Posts

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I saw this "story" yesterday on the Google newsfeed from the AJC. Something along the lines of "Replica Nazi Airplane" or some other crap. Let's not talk about the fact that the guy did a pretty good job of landing the plane without killing himself or someone else.

·
Registered
14,956 Posts
Note merely a Balkenkreuz, look at the tail.
Not unusual at all for WWII era German aircraft. The swastika only became politically incorrect after 1945. That plane obviously isn't a WWII aircraft but it appears the owner was trying to mimic the correct color scheme.

·
American
3,289 Posts
Not unusual at all for WWII era German aircraft. The swastika only became politically incorrect after 1945. That plane obviously isn't a WWII aircraft but it appears the owner was trying to mimic the correct color scheme.
All well known to me. Nice reproduction of the color scheme. Still, if I were doing a project like that I'd really have to think 3-4 times before including the swastika.

·
Registered
14,956 Posts
All well known to me. Nice reproduction of the color scheme. Still, if I were doing a project like that I'd really have to think 3-4 times before including the swastika.
Why does history, no matter how unpleasant, have to be whitewashed?

And don't forget that the swastika has symbolism far earlier than the Nazis.

·
Like a Boss
3,034 Posts
If I were restoring a Messerschmitt or something, of a type that was operated by the Luftwaffe during WWII, I can understand using historically accurate markings. But for an experimental built from a kit that has nothing to do with and doesn't even remotely resemble anything used by the Nazis, I'm not sure the "accuracy" argument really applies. I wouldn't be painting swastikas on a newly built aircraft.

·
I watch the watchers
12,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)

Just use something no one can get upset about.

Or, even ...

·
Registered
14,956 Posts
But for an experimental built from a kit that has nothing to do with and doesn't even remotely resemble anything used by the Nazis, I'm not sure the "accuracy" argument really applies. I wouldn't be painting swastikas on a newly built aircraft.
The Germans had quite a few experimental planes prior to and during WWII. Some even resembling, more or less, the plane in the OP. None of us know the builder's reasons for his doing this so why such a hang-up over an ancient icon?

Oh, look. A Confederate flag.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
It's been noted that the op is named "fallschirmjager". Seems fishy.

About the swastika, people are far too sensitive. I had a copy of "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" on my bookshelf, and someone called me a nazi because it had a swastika on the binding next to the title.

But that's where we are as a culture and we have to deal with it.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,144 Posts
It's a Russian spy working for Trump! :panic:
Pay attention to things in the next month or 2. The are actually (and were) working for hiLIARy.

Nemo

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
It's the Ukrainians!

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,519 Posts
Germans?

Russians?

No, it's the Prussians!!!

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Pay attention to things in the next month or 2. The are actually (and were) working for hiLIARy.

Nemo
Which means the Russian angle will simply fade away.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts