Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
I'm kind of a big deal
5,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, the story goes that my Great Uncle took this dagger off of a dead German officer during WWII. I have heard everything from a Captain to a General but I am not really concerned with the validity of the story but I am curious if there are any collectors on here that may be able to give me some information about what it is and as to the value of this thing. I have never seen another one like it and I always look at gun shows etc.

I am not a collector of Nazi stuff but I have had this since I was a kid and have always wondered what it was....

This is it in the sheath - it's about 20" long. The sheath is a little beat up.

The handle has an eagle head carved into it (both sides).

Reverse of handle.

This thing is metal and is hanging off a ribbon wrapped around the sheath.

Sheath has the following stamped on the back:
JOHANN FROHLIGH
WIEN XV 1938

The blade is worn on both sides at the end.

Terrible picture but on the blade it says:
EWALD CLEFF
SOLINGER
And above that on the handle it says:
S.O.p. IV 453.

Close up of the ribbon.

Over all length of both.

Anybody have any ideas?

I am not looking to sell it at this time but I am curious if it has any value (other than sentimental).

Thanks.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
Good luck finding info on it. Let me know where you are able to find out more about these items.

·
I'm kind of a big deal
5,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
I don't know what it's worth, but what you have is a Nazi Municipal Police dress bayonet manufactured in the famed city of Solingen, DE, renowned for its tradition of manufacture of knives and swords.

Ewald Cleff was a maker of bayonets and daggers during the Third Reich. He is but one of many that made edged weapons in the city of Solingen during the time for NSDAP.

HERE are some pictures of the police bayonet design made to spec but created by another defense contractor of the time, P.D.Lüneschloss.

The S. OP IV 453 inscribed on the cross guard is a hint of the regiment to which the bayonet was issued. Still haven't figured out which outfit belongs to that code.

FYI -- I don't know a thing about this stuff. I'm just doing some research online after seeing this thread.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,314 Posts
Like that other website said, "BEWARE: High Quality Fakes Exist!"

My dad had what he thought was a real late 1930s Hitler Youth knife. He showed it to a bunch of other WWII vets, several Americans, a Brit, and a couple Germans, and they thought it was an original. To me, the odd thing about it was what excellent condition it was in. Like it had always been stored in a shoe box in the closet, never carried or worn.

When I took it to a knife collector and we got online and looked up the details, it was made postwar.
It was made from 99% the same materials as the original, using the same design. But I think what gave it away was type of tool used to cut the checkering on the grip. That identified it as a postwar production, probably from the early 1950s.

Anyhow, I'm just saying things are not always what they seem.
And to me, even a 99% faithful replica has some value, especially if it was made so soon after the originals and from the same nation, if not the same factory!

·
Registered
592 Posts
gunsmoker said:
Like that other website said, "BEWARE: High Quality Fakes Exist!"

My dad had what he thought was a real late 1930s Hitler Youth knife. He showed it to a bunch of other WWII vets, several Americans, a Brit, and a couple Germans, and they thought it was an original. To me, the odd thing about it was what excellent condition it was in. Like it had always been stored in a shoe box in the closet, never carried or worn.

When I took it to a knife collector and we got online and looked up the details, it was made postwar.
It was made from 99% the same materials as the original, using the same design. But I think what gave it away was type of tool used to cut the checkering on the grip. That identified it as a postwar production, probably from the early 1950s.

Anyhow, I'm just saying things are not always what they seem.
And to me, even a 99% faithful replica has some value, especially if it was made so soon after the originals and from the same nation, if not the same factory!
Totally agree. These things are easily faked or have been replicated in the past to seem like originals. I have personal experience with a similar WWII German knife....it was handed down in the family and presented as an original. However, turned out to be a pretty good replica made following WWII from the early 50s. Good looking knife, but not worth crap.

·
I'm kind of a big deal
5,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
{TEX}Hawaii(( said:
http://www.johnsonreferencebooks.com/catalogue/weapons/bayonets/POLICE/index.html

Check out this site. Good luck. My untrained eye idicates you might not have what you think.
I don't know what I have. That's why I posted here. :lol:

The story about where it came from is just that, a family story. I do know that my Great Uncle gave it to my dad and I know he definitely served in WWII - other than that it's "family lore" and nothing more. Unless, of course, my Great Uncle took it off a dead German Police Officer :) which, I guess, is entirely possible. Whatever the case, I already know 100x more about it than I did a couple of hours ago. :righton:

·
Registered
592 Posts
seereus said:
I would recommend flying to Vegas, locate the "Pawn Shop" and have Chumlee give an expert appraisal.
I can here the "old man" yelling in the background already.

·
I'm kind of a big deal
5,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Any excuse to go to Vegas works for me! :righton:

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
"JOHANN FROHLIGH" is probably "Johann Frohlich." Searching on that name hits several other German military items, but I'm not sure if that's significant.

·
Registered
65 Posts
At the last Eastman gun show I went to at the Cobb civic center. There was a table where the guy had nothing but Nazi Memorabilia, daggers, rings, etc... Maybe take it to him if you ever get a chance to hit up a show in Cobb?

·
I'm kind of a big deal
5,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Adam5 said:
It's worthless. Give me $20 and I'll get rid of it for you. 8)
I was waiting for that.....surprised it took so long. :lol:

I actually emailed some company that offered me 400 pounds (and I just realized that my keyboard has no pound sign) for it......but like I said I am not looking to sell it anyway.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts