National Parks Petition

Discussion in 'National Laws, Bills and Politics' started by Gunstar1, May 24, 2005.

1. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

VCDL is readying postcards for distribution at gun shows, but they are also setup now to send emails to President Bush, National Park Director Fran Mainella, and Department of the Interior Secretary Gale Norton.

Simply click below to send the same message to all three people:

Message on Petition

Let's make sure that there is no doubt in their minds that freedom loving citizens want to be able to carry in national parks! Pass this on to any other lists you think appropriate.

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Apparently, the DOI, is still "trying to decide what to do."

Here is a message from Phillip Van Cleave:
    Action needed on National Parks!
    The following letter needs to be sent to the key U.S. Representatives and Senators in your state to get the VCDL Petition for Rule Making out of limbo. If we want to be able to carry a gun for self-defense in a National Park it looks like we are going to have to keep pressing the issue or it will simply sit on somebody's desk until we have a new President...

HOUSE VERSION:

The Honorable ___________
    United States House of Representatives
    Washington, DC 20510
    December nn, 2005

Dear Representative __________:

I need your help in supporting the Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) sponsored Petition for Rule Making to amend CFR 36, Regulation 2.4.

Current Park Service regulations prohibit all viable forms of self-defense, even for off duty law enforcement and citizens with concealed handgun permits! The amended regulation would assimilate local gun laws allowing law-abiding citizens and off-duty law enforcement officers to carry defensive firearms in National Parks unless such carry is prohibited by the state where the Park resides. The assimilation of local firearms laws is used in our National Forests and it works well.

The VCDL, together with over 40 co-petitioners, submitted a petition to amend regulation 2.4 to the Department of the Interior February 11, 2005. The petitioners and I need your help to get the commonsense changes in the VCDL petition published in the next Federal Register for comment and for subsequent implementation.
    Here is an Internet link to the submitted petition: http://www.vcdl.org/new/Petition_for_Rulemaking.pdf

Please contact the Department of the Interior's Secretary, Gale Norton, on my behalf and tell her to publish the VCDL petition amending CFR 36 Regulation 2.4 without delay in the next Federal Register as a matter of public safety.

* The VCDL petition to amend CFR 36, Regulation 2.4 would only allow law abiding citizens, and off duty law enforcement officers to carry defensive firearms and ONLY use them in self-defense or defense of another so long as it is legal in the state where the Park resides.

* The VCDL petition honors the citizen's right to self-defense while preserving the National Parks authority to regulate hunting, fishing and other weapons, traps or nets.

* The VCDL petition respects the authority of the People to determine what manner of self-defense is acceptable, subject to reasonable regulation by the States.

* The current regulation represents a comprehensive ban on self-defense, written at a prior time when the 2nd Amendment was relegated to the dangerous 'collective' rights theory. Today, legal scholars, courts, the US Department of Justice, state legislatures, and the Congress all agree that the 2nd Amendment secures individual rights to both keep, and bear arms. The current regulation stands in defiance of the will of Congress, the People, the President, the Constitution and common sense.

* The VCDL petition has bipartisan support in Congress, and among the People.

I ask that you join the bipartisan team of supporters to get VCDL's petition to the Department of the Interior published without delay, in the next Federal Register.

Please contact me with any questions, and let me know when you have contacted the Department of the Interior.

Sincerely,
    [Name]
    [Address]
    [Telephone # ]

--

SENATE VERSION:

The Honorable ___________
    United States Senate
    Washington, DC 20510
    December nn, 2005

Dear Senator __________:

I need your help in supporting the Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) sponsored Petition for Rule Making to amend CFR 36, Regulation 2.4.

Current Park Service regulations prohibit all viable forms of self-defense, even for off duty law enforcement and citizens with concealed handgun permits! The amended regulation would assimilate local gun laws allowing law-abiding citizens and off-duty law enforcement officers to carry defensive firearms in National Parks unless such carry is prohibited by the state where the Park resides. The assimilation of local firearms laws is used in our National Forests and it works well.

The VCDL, together with over 40 co-petitioners, submitted a petition to amend regulation 2.4 to the Department of the Interior February 11, 2005. The petitioners and I need your help to get the commonsense changes in the VCDL petition published in the next Federal Register for comment and for subsequent implementation.
    Here is an Internet link to the submitted petition: http://www.vcdl.org/new/Petition_for_Rulemaking.pdf

Please contact the Department of the Interior's Secretary, Gale Norton, on my behalf and tell her to publish the VCDL petition amending CFR 36 Regulation 2.4 without delay in the next Federal Register as a matter of public safety.

* The VCDL petition to amend CFR 36, Regulation 2.4 would only allow law abiding citizens, and off duty law enforcement officers to carry defensive firearms and ONLY use them in self-defense or defense of another so long as it is legal in the state where the Park resides.

* The VCDL petition honors the citizen's right to self-defense while preserving the National Parks authority to regulate hunting, fishing and other weapons, traps or nets.

* The VCDL petition respects the authority of the People to determine what manner of self-defense is acceptable, subject to reasonable regulation by the States.

* The current regulation represents a comprehensive ban on self-defense, written at a prior time when the 2nd Amendment was relegated to the dangerous 'collective' rights theory. Today, legal scholars, courts, the US Department of Justice, state legislatures, and the Congress all agree that the 2nd Amendment secures individual rights to both keep, and bear arms. The current regulation stands in defiance of the will of Congress, the People, the President, the Constitution and common sense.

* The VCDL petition has bipartisan support in Congress, and among the People.

I ask that you join the bipartisan team of supporters to get VCDL's petition to the Department of the Interior published without delay, in the next Federal Register.

Please contact me with any questions, and let me know when you have contacted the Department of the Interior.

Sincerely,
    [Name]
    [Address]
    [Telephone # ]

--

Philip Van Cleave, President, VCDL

3. Malum Prohibitum

URGENT!!!

Bill Introduced in the Senate!

There are some specific actions that need to be taken on a short fuse of a timeline. Get the word out!

National Parks Carry Bill

:woohoo:

4. Malum Prohibitum

Write:

Johnny Isakson

Saxby Chambliss

Bill Frist

in support of S 4057!

Contact info at link above!

5. wwomack

wwomack New Member

I wrote both Johnny Isakson and Saxby Chambliss from the links on their websites. Hopefully we can get this through before the end of this session.

6. Malum Prohibitum

By all means follow the instructions at the GCO link 3 posts above, but you might also consider, in addition to and afterward, following VCDL's latest email suggestion.

This bill has been read twice already and is stuck in the Energy and Natural Resources Committee. It needs pressure if it is going to be moved to the floor for a vote.

VCDL is the party mainly responsible for the existence of this bill! Here is an excerpt from their email alert from today:

ANOTHER URGENT ACTION ITEM

Allen's bill has now been read twice and is in the Energy and Natural Resources Committee, headed up by Senator Pete Domenici from New Mexico!

We need to contact Senator Domenici and urge him to get the bill a vote as soon as possible. Senator Domenici's web email address is: http://domenici.senate.gov/contact/contact.cfm

Suggested copy-and-paste message:

--

Please bring up Senator Allen's bill, S 4057, for a vote as soon as possible in the Energy and Natural Resources Committee!

This important bill would allow law-abiding citizens to be able to defend themselves while in a National Park. It is critical that S
    4057 clear the committee and be brought to the Floor for a vote quickly!

I very much appreciate your help in this matter.

7. Malum Prohibitum

This information is on GCO's web site, too.

Link

The right place to apply pressure today is to the Committee Chairman, so he will bring it up in the Committee for a vote.

8. Defensor

Defensor New Member

National Parks Carry Bill

Done

9. Purge

Purge New Member

10. Malum Prohibitum

Anti's

From VCDL Alert:

2. Anti's are already attacking Senator Allen's National Park carry bill

There is a place on the web page for comments. Let's PILE ON!

First, the anti-gun article, then the pro-gun article. Thanks to
    Andy Barr for the link:

http://tinyurl.com/yxvmpp

Guns in the Parks: A Bad Idea

Senator George Allen of Virginia, you might say, is leaving
    Congress with his guns a-blazing.
    The Republican, who was ousted by Democrat Jim Webb, evidently
    has introduced legislation that would allow gun owners to bring their
    weapons into national parks, as long as the states the parks are
    located in don't prohibit the practice.
    Mike Kinsey, writing for Ohioans For Concealed Carry, says, "The
    arbitrary prohibition of your right to self-defense in a National
    Park needs to end."
    "Your life is not worth less while visiting one of our country's
    beautiful parks than it is anywhere else you may be," argues Kinsey.
    "Personally, I believe that lonely wilderness trails may be one of
    the places that I would most want to have my self-defense firearm."
    Great. That's all we need, a backcountry full of pistol-packing
    hikers ready to take you on. This guy seems a little over the edge to
    me.
    "...any location that is known to be frequented by tourists would
    probably be very attractive to criminals," he goes on. "Tourists are
    generally carrying a lot of money and are unfamiliar with their
    surroundings. I am certainly not a criminal mastermind. If I can see
    that this environment makes one more vulnerable to violent attack, I
    am certain those with less scruples have realized it as well."
    Gee, Mike, we seem to have made it into the 21st Century without
    a spate of backcountry holdups (although there were a handful of
    stagecoach holdups back in the early 1900s in Yellowstone).
    Do we really want to legalize toting guns around in national
    parks? Frankly, I'd feel safer in the backcountry knowing that guns
    are prohibited rather than worrying that the next person I encounter
    might be packing heat.

--

BUT, our friends at Ohio Concealed Carry are working to get it passed!

http://tinyurl.com/ybdyyd

Bill Introduced to Allow Carry in National Parks
    Written by Mike Kinsey
    Friday, 17 November 2006

Senator George Allen (R-Virginia) has introduced SB 4057, the National
    Park Second Amendment Restoration and Personal Protection Act of 2006.
    If adopted as law, this legislation would allow legal carry of
    firearms into National Parks so long as the state does not prohibit
    carry in all parks.

The arbitrary prohibition of your right to self-defense in a National
    Park needs to end. Your life is not worth less while visiting one of
    our country's beautiful parks than it is anywhere else you may be.
    Personally, I believe that lonely wilderness trails may be one of the
    places that I would most want to have my self-defense firearm. Armed
    citizens regularly argue that we may not be able to wait for 911 to
    save us. Imagine the additional delay that will occur when you're
    hiking in the middle of nowhere! Also, any location that is known to
    be frequented by tourists would probably be very attractive to
    criminals. Tourists are generally carrying a lot of money and are
    unfamiliar with their surroundings. I am certainly not a criminal
    mastermind. If I can see that this environment makes one more
    vulnerable to violent attack, I am certain those with less scruples
    have realized it as well.

It is up to those of us that care about the safety of ourselves and
    our families to get this legislation enacted. Please contact your U.S.
    Senators and urge them to support this bill. Tell them why it is
    important to you. Contact Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist and ask
    him to fast track SB 4057. Spread the word to other gun owners and
    concealed handgun licensees about this issue.

Senator Frist can be reached at: (202) 224-3344 or through his website.
    You can find contact information for your U.S. Senators here.

11. Mafuta54

Mafuta54 Active Member

Email sent!

Email sent!

12. Malum Prohibitum

Want your voice to count twice?

Neither Isakson nor Chambliss has their staffers take down your personal information. So, you can call them locally to voice your opinion, and you can send them an internet message using the contact information at http://georgiacarry.org/

The last method does take down your personal information, but you have contacted them by phone AND in writing without them knowing it was necessarily the same person.

I do not think it is cheating. :wink:

And it takes only a minute, since the contact info and the information about the bill are all at http://georgiacarry.org/ which you can have open in front of you when calling or writing!

:D

13. Malum Prohibitum

Re: URGENT!!!

Just a reminder to contact your Senators and ask your friends and family to do the same!

14. rajl

rajl New Member

Wrote both Senators Isakson and Chambliss

15. tj2000

tj2000 New Member

Parks carry

I sent Mr. Chamblis an email and today I got a phone call from him and he said it looks like this would actualy pass before the gun grabbing left where left in charge. :drink: :soon:
    TJ

16. Malum Prohibitum

Re: Parks carry

Hey, maybe I need to donate more money! :D

17. wwomack

wwomack New Member

I got a similar call this morning from someone in his office but didn't get the Senator himself. How'd you pull that one off? :)

18. Malum Prohibitum

Did the staffer also report a good chance of passage? Any indication of whether it will be scheduled for a vote in the Energy and Natural Resources Committee? That is the next thing that must happen. Nothing else matters until that happens.