National Parks - Ok to carry or not?

Discussion in 'National Laws, Bills and Politics' started by UtiPossidetis, Nov 10, 2016.

1. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

I've read differing opinions on carry within US National Parks in various locations. I just read PL111-24 Section 512(b) which appears to make it clear that if you are a legal carry person in your state, or the state in which the federal park is located, its ok to carry.

My question is - functionally and on a practical level daily is this what our Federal Park Rangers understand the law to be pertaining to their jurisdiction? Also, does this apply more broadly to places like Kennesaw National Battlefield for example? Thanks.

512(b): Protecting the Right of Individuals To Bear arms in Units of the National Park System and the National Wildlife Refuge System- The Secretary of the Interior shall not promulgate or enforce any regulation that prohibits an individual from possessing a firearm including an assembled or functional firearm in any unit of the National Park System or the National Wildlife Refuge System if-- (1) the individual is not otherwise prohibited by law from possessing the firearm; and (2) the possession of the firearm is in compliance with the law of the State in which the unit of the National Park System or the National Wildlife Refuge System is located.

2. bulldog 44

bulldog 44 Member

If you have a permit that is recognized by the state or one of the states if more than one involved in the park. The Smokey mountain national park for example. A Tennessee or North Carolina or a liscense recognized by either you are good to go. I have carried there since that law was signed with zero issue, always concealed though. The only restriction is carry in any of the federal buildings in the park. Who knows what a park ranger actually knows until you have an encounter. If Kennesaw national Battlefield is classified as a national park you should be fine.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Yes, they understand. It is a part of their job. Yes, it applies to Kennesaw, but remember the buildings are off limits.

4. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Thanks. I was not being facetious in my question - too many in law enforcement appear not to understand the very laws they are supposed to be enforcing.