National Park Question, Sorry if redundant

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by Rake, Jul 23, 2005.

1. Rake

Rake New Member

Hey all First time poster here. I just found your great site so please bear wuth me if my post is redundant. I have read through the forum, but can't find a current post regarding the state of out attempt to legalizze carry in the National Parks. I just recently had a desturbing encounter with some local county police who searched my car in a national park parking lot. I had informed them that I had two firearms in the vehicle. I am licensed to carry and the two pistols in my possesion were registered to me. The local police insisted that there "was no legal way to transport a firearm on park property" even if it was unloaded, cased, and locked in a personal vehicle. The National park website is no help as their "rules" page regarding firearms has been"down" - undergoing changes for as long as I can remember. I just can't believe that there is NO legal way to transport a firearm on NPS property! It is just unbelievable that if I decide to take a vacation to Fla. that I must decide whether to forgo pesonal safety and that of my family OR visiting ( even driving through)ANY national parks. Whats the story? Thanks in advance - a "newbie"

2. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Welcome, and your disbelief is well founded because they were wrong.

It is sad to hear about the confusion that some police have about federal regulations (and state laws for that matter).

You can have a gun in your car if it is unloaded and packed, cased or stored.
    You cannot carry it loaded in your car. Also you cannot carry it on your person loaded or unloaded.

National Parks Service Rule 36CFR2.4
    Virginia Citizens Defense League has sent a Petition for Rule Making to have that changed (you can read the PRM on VCDL's website, just scroll down the first page until you see "VCDL Leading The Fight For National Park Carry"). Right now you are encouraged to contact your Reps and get them behind this change.

I don't want to sound like I am splitting hairs but Georgia does not have any form of gun registration. Your car is registered to you, but your firearms are simply your legally owned property.

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

If I could add just a little suggestion . . .

Georgia does not require that you disclose that you are carrying or that you even have a firearms license. While some people always take the "I have nothing to hide" approach, perhaps you now understand why it might not be advisable to tell these people anything.

If you are in the mood, you might consider filing a complaint.

Did you give them permission to search the vehicle? If not, then I would definitely file a complaint.

How many people even know Kennessaw Mountain IS a National Park?

4. Rake

Rake New Member

Thanks a lot guys

Thanks for your response. I have to admit that I am disapointed in myself at my handeling of the whole affair. I let myself be bullied by everyone involved. I am an honest, dependable 50 year old man that has never even had a bad check, and the police still " shake me down" at every opportunity. I'm terrified of them. a couple of years ago someone set fire to a hotel I was staying in. The fire dept. thought that it was accidental. I made the mistake of telling a fireman that I saw the fire start & that it was arson. As a result I spent the whole night locked in the back of a police car while ATF "searched " my truck ... and person (intentionally destroying personal property of mine during the search and verbaly & physicaly abusing me) They ignored the person that I pointed out to them that set the fire. I have even been arrested and charged with "disrupting a worship service" - when the police stopped & searched me in front of a church... and found nothing. Just a couple of my 40+ arrests (all in Ga.)...with NO convictions. Re: Ga gun registration - well, I know that, BUT apparently (?)the police can perform a check to see if you were the person that bought the gun & filled out the ATF form. (or are they just checking to see if it's reported stolen?) My poor old Ruger Sec 6 & Berreta ( my primary carry guns) have been "checked" so many times their wearing out the serial numbers. Thanks again for the NPS rules. I hope my mail to various Govt. officials is doing some good.

5. Malum Prohibitum

Re: Thanks a lot guys

They are just checking stolen.

40 + arrests :?: :shock:

6. willy.45

willy.45 New Member

Newbie..........

Just the other day a female was attacked by a man with a knife at Kennesaw Mountain Park (she got away) and I can't carry in the park to protect my family. Criminals do not obey laws, control them............not me!

7. Malum Prohibitum

"40+ arrests (all in Ga.)" ???

:-s

8. willy.45

willy.45 New Member

Keep up the good work. It's the courts that slap them on the wrist and sent them back out on the street, and to think we vote for these people :(

9. Malum Prohibitum

:D I was quoting from the fourth post. I just find that rather odd.

10. ls1ssdavid

ls1ssdavid New Member

What bothers me even most about the whole Kennasaw National park deal is that, the park is split by several roads. Whitlock ave runs right threw it as well as others (only road I can think of off the top of my head). This is literally three streets away from where my "home of residence" is. So how does the laws deal with that? When I'm splitting through the national park on a city road am I supposed to download now?

Imagine "hold up, I gotta pull over and download and place my weapon in the trunk. I'm about to pass through a National Park two miles from my home. Oh wait Marietta High School is right before I enter, gotta make sure I don't stop within a thousand feet of there. Oh shiznit someone just saw me download and put the pistol in the trunk in the kroger parking lot. Now I have Cobb Co PD on my arse, b/c some liberal called the cops."

Toned down a notch by ICP_Juggalo

11. willy.45

willy.45 New Member

That's what I pictured, not to mention leaving your house early for all the unload/ reloads...........

12. Malum Prohibitum

Are unloaded guns allowed in National Parks?

Does the FOPA apply to federal land? Does the FOPA apply when you are not leaving the state?

I do not know.

13. ls1ssdavid

ls1ssdavid New Member

The thing that gets me is that the roads are county or city roads. And you aren't stoping in the park. I would have to make a special trip around Kennasaw National battle field unless I downloaded my weapon of course (when I am actually in GA) or unless I just want to ignore it. That special drive would make me go out of my way at least 30min not to mention traffic during rush hour.

14. Malum Prohibitum

Are you "in the park" when on a county road?

15. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

My understanding is that you are. There also is some private property in some national parks (or at least national forests). That property also is in the park.

16. ls1ssdavid

ls1ssdavid New Member

Honestly, I couldn't tell you. There are many roads that split it at multiple diffrent parts. Not all have signs indecating a National Park. But my knowlege of the park lets me know it splits the park. Heck the intersection of Powder Springs road and (the road they always have the fairs on. Can't remember the name) is a huge intersection. Four lanes going crossing a two lane road. Can anyone help me with that road name? It's the one next to the Knob farm. But Some do have signs and some don't. I'm pretty sure just trying to go from memory that most of the roads don't have signs. But I couldn't tell you if by law if I would be or wouldn't.

17. ls1ssdavid

ls1ssdavid New Member

The funny thing is that when I searched for a map on google to try to show yall the roads plus figure out the names. The third link is to WSBradio.com having a report about a womand attacked in Kennasaw National park with a knife.

http://wsbradio.com/news/060506knife.html

This is a perfect picture to show the mulitiple roads that cross in and out. Some straight threw and some obviously I would consider park property. But the major roads that skirt the park or pass straight threw with no stops. Powder Springs road is a major road along with Dallas highway that turns into Whitlock. Is everyone supposed to unload there guns? Yea right...

http://www.nps.gov/applications/parks/k ... sawMtn.gif

18. Malum Prohibitum

Good thing that woman did not have a gun. Somebody could have gotten hurt!

19. ls1ssdavid

ls1ssdavid New Member

MP, your right the criminal might have gotten hurt. And you know we can't have that. :roll:

I have one more year of being exempt from the restrictive GA laws as of today. Funny when I rate the exemptions I'm rarely home. Once i'm home I no longer rate it :evil: Hopefully we can get some pro gun laws passed this next session before I EAS.

20. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired New Member

Well you can always re-up until we do get the laws right... Oooh Rah!