National Monument We All Should Visit

Discussion in 'Off-topic Political' started by Nemo, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

2. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

We visited that monument when we went to Plymouth Colony when we lived in NH. It's quite imposing. Strangely it's not visited as much as the other sites around Plymouth Colony and it's only about 1/2 mile from Plymouth Rock. Probably because there's nothing else to do up there on the hill.

3. atlsrt44

atlsrt44 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately today the pilgrims are painted as racist murderers.

4. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

They were not really for "religious liberty." That's just nonsense. They wanted to escape religious oppression in England and so went to Leiden, Holland (after a brief stay in Amsterdam). They were not oppressed there. They left because England was going to war with the Spanish, and Spain controlled Holland. So they went to England and sailed for the New World.

Once there, they set up an oppressive theocracy. It remained for a long time. Take a look into the history of New Englanders like Ethan Allen, who often ran afoul of religious laws, and Thomas Young, the doctor who basically invented vaccination, or inoculation, considered "heresy" under the law.

It was not just republican ideology that Ethan discussed with Thomas Young. In 1764 ingrafting, or transporting tissue infected with the smallpox virus to a body not infected, was a new way of curing the disease. Ingrafting was considered a heresy by New England clergy and punishable by law, if not conducted with the consent of the town selectman. Allen insisted that Dr. Young inject him with the virus on the Salisbury meeting house steps to prove whether or not ingrafting worked. They did this on a Sunday. Allen did not suffer from the virus, but the news of what they did spread quickly in Salisbury. after being hauled into court, Ethan was threatened to be prosecuted by Rev. Johnathan Lee and one Stoddard. Allen made his own defense stating "By Jesus Christ, I wish I may be Bound Down in Hell with old Belzabub a Thousand years in the Lowest Pitt in Hell and that Every Little Insippid Devil should come along by and ask the Reason of Allens Lying there, (if) it Should be said (that) he made a promise...that he would have satisfaction of Lee and Stoddard and Did Not fulfill it." Since spoken by a deist in a court of law surrounded by Calvinists, this outrageous passage probably left the court in awe.
    http://www.let.rug.nl/usa/biographies/ethan-allen/chapter-ii.php
    The whole myth about Pilgrims seeking religious liberty cracks me up. Mormon perpetrate the same fraud on history.

5. atlsrt44

Ethan Allen and the green mountain boys. One of my favorites from the revolution.

6. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

7. atlsrt44

8. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Not stepping foot in Massachusetts until they start abiding by the U.S. Constitution, or at least coming close enough to it that I don't get caged like an animal just because I want to be able to defend myself and my loved ones.

No visit to any monument is worth risking our safety. I can see the photos on the Internet.