National "Exercise Your Rights" Day

Discussion in 'National Laws, Bills and Politics' started by shamalama, Aug 22, 2007.

1. shamalama

shamalama New Member

Several blogs, and a handful of gun stores, are promoting August 28th as National "Exercise Your Rights" Day:

Reverend Jesse Jackson is calling on citizens to exercise their First Amendment rights by participating in anti-gun/anti-violence protest marches in 25 cities nationwide on that day. The Firearms Coalition echoes that call to supporters of the Second Amendment, encouraging them to exercise their rights by purchasing a firearm or ammunition on August 28.

“We have the right to live safe and secure, no matter where we live in America,†Rev. Jackson said during a prayer vigil at Chuck’s Gun Shop in a Chicago suburb.

“That’s absolutely right†said Jay Knox, Executive Director of The Firearms Coalition, “Mr. Jackson has made a valid point and we believe the best way to ensure that safety and security is for responsible citizens to have the means to defend themselves. The idea that all violence is bad is simply incorrect. Violence is sometimes the only way to stop evil and brutality. When used in this way, violence is an agent of good.†said Mrs. Knox.

“Gunowners trust our fellow citizens and have no fear of them having the means to effectively engage in righteous violence when necessary. Martin Luther King preached and practiced non-violence, but he did so with armed Deacons for Defense in the background. It seems that Dr. King understood that the rights to arms and self defense are basic civil rights and were an integral part of the civil rights battle he waged.â€

http://www.firearmscoalition.org/new/in ... 1&Itemid=1

2. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

What a great idea. I'll OC all day on the 28th!!!

3. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Sounds good to me. Though I will have to take it off when I go to dinner, since it's a PG :roll:

4. Sharky

Sharky New Member

I needed to buy some ammo anyways!

5. oxfat

oxfat New Member

+1

I haven't OC'd yet, but it sounds like a great day to start! Too bad I can't carry at work (against policy), but I'll have my holster ready for 5PM.

6. M249

M249 New Member

I'll be OC in spirit.

7. Jmark

Jmark Active Member

I need to come up with some $$ for a good retention holster. Just don't feel all that great about OC'ing without one. This does sound like a good reason to start looking. :p

8. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

9. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

Thank God* I'm not the only one.

*or deity of your choice

10. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

Smith, Ramm, any other Boro folks... sounds like a good day for an OC field trip somewhere.

11. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

12. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

Walmart's so overdone.

I dunno. What do you think?

13. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

hmmm...not exactly a wide selection of places we could legally do this.

14. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

15. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

That'll go over like a hippie at a Slayer concert......I like it.

16. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Anyone in the Sandy Springs area interested in a similar meetup?

17. fallison

fallison New Member

Hey, if you pre-plan it, doesn't that make it a public gathering? :shock:

18. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Does the First Amendment override the public gathering clause, or does the public gathering clause override the First Amendment?

19. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

I work in Sandy Springs. If you're in the area for lunch, I'd love to meet up.

20. fallison

fallison New Member

I don't know. Any volunteers for a test case?
    :eek: