Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TRENTON â€" A lawmaker wants to make it easier for New Jersey residents to carry handguns, and he thinks the state can make some money in the process.

State Sen. Jeff Van Drew (D-Cape May) introduced a bill last week that would allow residents to carry handguns if they go through a background check, complete courses in firearms safety and the lawful use of force, pass a test and pay an annual $500 fee.
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/0 ... owing.html

·
Registered
7,992 Posts
Well yea....can't have the common folk run around with guns, that would be a sure way of armed rebellion!

·
Registered
880 Posts
Seems like an attempt to make it too expensive only later in the next few years to say "See? No one wants to carry a gun, only 100 civilians applied so let's sunset this law and move on."

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree that fee is way high but that could be lowered in the legislative process and even if its not it would be a step in the right direction for a place like NJ.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Please, pay for your rights...Next up is a speaking fee, remain silent unless you've payed your speaking tax! :cantsay:

·
Registered
8,585 Posts
The bill in question:
http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2010/Bills ... 264_I1.HTM

Fee now: $20 (plus fingerprinting?)
Fee with the bill: $500
License term now: 2 years
License term with the bill: 1 year
Qualification interval now: 2 years?
Qualification interval with the bill: 6 months

Oh, and it may be shall-issue, but could be heavily and irregularly encumbered:
The court may at its discretion issue a limited-type permit which would restrict the applicant as to the types of handguns he may carry and where and for what purposes such handguns may be carried.
The above text is existing law and would not be modified by the bill.

I don't think it constitutes a shall-issue bill. I honestly wonder if somebody thinks there are too many permits issued in NJ at the moment. The cost increases 50 fold and the qualification interval 4 fold. Unless NJ has lots of millionaires with tons of free time running around, I predict an overall decrease in the number of permits.

·
Registered
7,713 Posts
they won't even let you pump your own gas in NJ

carry a gun ? never happen.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts