Mythbusters and Gunslingers

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by gsusnake, May 24, 2007.

1. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

They're testing Old West gunslinger myths.

Among the beautiful weapons they purchased

1873 Colt Peacemaker
    1851 Navy Colt SA
    some sort of unbelievably gorgeous Winchester lever-action rifle
    and about 6 other "Old West"-style revolvers I can't identify

How do I get a job on this show?

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

3. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I didn't see that one, but I did see the one about shooting into water to test the myth if you could avoid being shot by jumping in the water.

4. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

What was the outcome? Swim deep? :lol:

5. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

Not needed for rifle rounds. for pistol calibers it's another story. The .45 penetrated the deepest and scored significant hits on the ballistics gel.

The higher the velocity of the bullet, the more likely it will breakup after hitting the surface of the water.

Heck a human hitting water at terminal velocity will suffer the same damage as hitting concrete.

6. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

I've seen them do a few other episodes. I saw the one where they were firing guns straight into the air. They found that as long as the round was fired straight up at like a 90 degree angle then the bullet wouldn't hit you with enough force to kill you. They found that if you deviate much from 90 then the bullet will fall with enough velocity to kill. I've seen a few other gun related ones as well.

7. NetAdminWithGun

NetAdminWithGun New Member

I have watched almost all of them, so far here is what i've learned gunwise:

In water: stay under, no rifle can touch you and only high caliber pistols can even go a couple of feet.

Locks: Pistols DO NOT SHOOT OFF LOCKS, it took a 12 gauge slug and a 30-06 to do it.

Shooting into Air : Harmless unless done at an angle.

Shooting car to make it explode: Doesn't work, can start a fire with tracers but thats it.

Falling back: People do not fly back when they get shot

Cutting Rope: It took a great marksmen 3 shots to split a rope (Saving someone from being hanged)

Cutting Floors: You can't cut an espacable hole in the ground with bullets.

Cathcing in teeth: This does not work....at all.

Shooting threw scope: Doesn't work unless you use AP rounds, even high powered rounds can't go through a scope cleanly.

If i remeber anymore i'll post them.

8. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

on just the other night...

early black powder pistols were not powerful enough to shoot through a silver dollar (morgan dollar if you are a coin collector).

It is possible for a modern pistol (44 mag I think) to shoot through a silver dollar.

It is possible to toss a coin in the air and shoot it with a pistol.

others...

2 lead bullets fired into each other will fuse together.

Near impossible to draw and get off 5 shots before a coin held at shoulder height hits the ground (by fanning a revolver hammer).

A japanese sword cannot cut cleanly though the barrel of a rifle or machine gun (even if barrel is made brittle by heating to red hot and improperly cooling)

son of a gun... a woman cannot get pregnant by being hit in the nether regions by a bullet that has passed through the nether regions of a man first.

9. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I remember seeing the lock thing on box o truth, i think it is...interesting stuff on that site... I don't know the link off the too of my head, but google it.

10. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

I digress, ask any Marine about Gunny Hathcock and the NVA sniper.

from the wiki

now what kind of ammo he used is debated, but it was not AP.

He also had the longest confirmed kill, with a .50 cal M2 that he mounted a scope on, got a NVA officer from almost a mile and a half away, with a headshot. That record stood until the canadian sniper team got an insurgent in afganistan with a .50 Anti-material rifle.

again from the wiki (as well as his book)

11. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

That one looked like a LOT of fun.

12. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

Anyone that has ever tried to cut out the red star at the fair with those auto BB guns knows that you culd never cut a hole in the floor for yourself...

I HATE that game. :evil:

13. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I stil like the one where they shot a G17 at an old .38 revolver, to see if they could lodge a bullet into one of the exposed chambers of the revolver's cylinder

14. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

These were all on last night.

I really really really wanna work on that show.

I mean, not only is Kari Byron my dream woman, you get to play with EXPLOSIVES! and GUNS! and other things!

15. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

You might hate it, but you try every time you go, don't you? :D

16. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

Oh heck no.
    I realized about age 15 that those carnie games are all rigged and that the prizes all suck.
    And any gf I had that wanted to whine because I wouldn't win her something didn't seem to mind when I spent the same $40 it would have cost for a damn stuffed hippo and got her something nice instead the next weekend.
    :)

17. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I loved in the movie Joe Dirt where he openly holds a can of Pam non-stick cooking spray while working on that game where you try to land coins on a glass plate.

18. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

It was a war story. People make stuff up.

He also claimed to have the most confirmed kill in Vietnam, which was actually false as that honor goes to an Army sniper.

19. NetAdminWithGun

NetAdminWithGun New Member

I dont think you can do it, they tried 3 times, the last time at point blank range and it just ripped the scope off the base.

20. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

You missed an update episode. They took a armor piercing round and shot it through one.