Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Called High Power rocketry. Someone decided to launch something without a FAA Waiver and that means it was an unsanctioned launch.

hmm I watched the video hehe I've seen and personally witnessed launches that big but that thing sure did have alot of power. And to answer a question yes, we've launched rockets in the middle of the ocean due to them being so large and big that it would be really dangerous to launch them on land due to cities and towns near by.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
TippinTaco said:
Called High Power rocketry. Someone decided to launch something without a FAA Waiver and that means it was an unsanctioned launch.

hmm I watched the video hehe I've seen and personally witnessed launches that big but that thing sure did have alot of power. And to answer a question yes, we've launched rockets in the middle of the ocean due to them being so large and big that it would be really dangerous to launch them on land due to cities and towns near by.
Seriously? :?

Aren't there laws against doing that?

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Glocker said:
TippinTaco said:

Seriously? :?

Aren't there laws against doing that?
Nope and there doesnt need to be... Its amateur rocketry.... Technically TRA doesn't require us to get any FAA waiver to launch rockets. we do it to be civil and copperative with FAA to make sure accidents don't occur. Should there be just as many restrictions on amateur rocketry as there is or could be on handguns? The ATF many years ago classified one of our propellants Ammonium Pechlorate as an explosive ILLEGALLY. It took millions of dollars and years to have a judge finally reverse their classifications on the chemical.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I'm not big on more government, but I think that if amateur rockets are big enough to be confused with ICBMs, then there should be very specific laws governing their launches.

:2cents:

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Glocker said:
I'm not big on more government, but I think that if amateur rockets are big enough to be confused with ICBMs, then there should be very specific laws governing their launches.

Or maybe people just need to, uh, relax?

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Glocker said:

The question then is - confused by whom?
By the people who think an airsoft is a deadly assault ak47?
Or by people who are trained to recognise (and shoot down) ICBM's?
I suspect the latter weren't too worried about that mystery missile.
As proof - China seems to still be there.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
groats said:
Glocker said:

The question then is - confused by whom?
By the people who think an airsoft is a deadly assault ak47?
Or by people who are trained to recognise (and shoot down) ICBM's?
I suspect the latter weren't too worried about that mystery missile.
As proof - China seems to still be there.
Robert Ellsworth, former Deputy Secretary of Defense, made a guess as to what it could have been:

"When asked, however, what he thought it might be, the former ambassador said it could possibly have been a missile test timed as a demonstration of American military might as President Obama tours Asia. "It could be a test-firing of an intercontinental ballistic missile from a submarine … to demonstrate, mainly to Asia, that we can do that," speculated Ellsworth."

Must be a very large amateur rocket, don't you think?? :shattered:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Isn't it possible that it could be China or Russia showing us what they are capable of? Or am I just being paranoid? :ninja:

·
Registered
592 Posts
Probably just a star wars test out of Vandenberg or off a ship that the government doesn't want us to know about...these tests happen all the time.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,314 Posts
I went to a large scale or high power model rocket event years ago.
It was held at a turf / sod farm down in south Georgia.
Most of the rockets were taller than the people who built and launched them.
Many did not use solid fuel engines-- liquid or gas fueled.
They did still use a parachute deployment just after they nosed-over at the top of their arc to float back down.
A couple didn't. Including one monster that was like 10" diameter and about 8 feet tall.
The biggest lawn dart I ever saw. The nose cone never popped. It was probably going near Mach 1.0 when it augered-in and made a crater in the earth like a mortar round just landed there.

·
Banned
2,559 Posts
Glocker said:

If you're not big on more government then you should not be big on more government. That's like saying I believe in the 2nd amendment....but....

·
Banned
2,559 Posts
From all of the missles that I've seen launched from Navy vessels, that did not appear to be an amateur rocket. It seemed to be really big!!!

·
Banned
2,559 Posts
This is going to be a really good coverup. Probably even better than than the UFO Roswell coverup!!! Just sayin'.....

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
MyFred said:
Glocker said:

If you're not big on more government then you should not be big on more government. That's like saying I believe in the 2nd amendment....but....
So you don't have a problem with rockets the size of ICBMs being launched by whoever cares to launch them and where ever they care to launch them??

Maybe one day you'll be in a jet and have one of these rockets bring your flight down. Or maybe one will crash through the roof of your house. How would you feel then??

·
Banned
2,559 Posts
Glocker said:
MyFred said:
Glocker said:

So you don't have a problem with rockets the size of ICBMs being launched by whoever cares to launch them and where ever they care to launch them??

Maybe one day you'll be in a jet and have one of these rockets bring your flight down. Or maybe one will crash through the roof of your house. How would you feel then??
More than likely I won't feel anything.... :)

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Glocker said:
MyFred said:
Glocker said:

first off Exibit A:

Secondly REAL amateur rocketry guys and gals does this by following rules and regulations placed on us by TRA (Tripoli Rocketry Association). We purchase and submit forms EVERY YEAR for fly times and zones to launch our rockets. SOME PEOPLE choose not to have the goverment involved in their launches. Please try to look at our hobby the same way you want others to look at you owning handguns. We wish to not have any interference.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts