My son's off to basic training today

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by RickN, Sep 29, 2010.

1. RickN

RickN New Member

It's an odd day at my house. I put my 19-year old son on the shuttle to Fort Gillem a couple hours ago. A couple days of processing and he'll be at Fort Leonard Wood, MO for basic training.

Drew tried college for a year and decided it wasn't for him. So now he's off to repair helicopters for the Army.

I told him when he left college that he had to be working toward something. I'd rather he be in school, but if not, he can't just sit around my house and play video games. This was his plan. He spent all summer working out and running to get ready and today was the day.

I couldn't be prouder. But, I'm also a parent, so I worried as hell too.

2. Ashe

Ashe Active Member

Yay, Fort Lost in the Woods.
    Brings back memories. Yep those were memories.

3. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

Tell him thanks for me.

4. gruntpain1775

gruntpain1775 New Member

Ft lost in the woods.....they are handing out iphones to privates there.

He will be fine, they can't kill him....bad for recruiting. Lol

5. RecoveringYankee

RecoveringYankee New Member

Awesome. Sent my oldest son (18) off to Ft Leonard Wood two weeks ago. They probably won't meet, but they will see each other in a sea of green.

Makes you feel old for real, doesn't it? How can I possibly have a son old enough to be a soldier?

6. drtybykr

drtybykr New Member

I am sure you are very proud. You to yankee. Tell them both thank you.

7. pml

pml Active Member

Good luck and congrats to him.

8. dunkel

dunkel New Member

Ft. Leonard Wood is not fun in the winter, so he's going at a good time.

Good luck to him.

9. RickN

RickN New Member

Thanks for the kind words. I think Missouri in October is a good time for basic (at least better than some alternatives).

My nephew started basic for the Air Force in August at Lackland AFB. San Antonio in August -- that's a bad time. On the other hand, I understand the Air Force timed runs are actually done in golf carts, so it's not that strenuous. :)

10. martin_j001

martin_j001 Active Member

Good luck to both, and thanks to both! :righton:

11. RickN

RickN New Member

My son called home last night. Friday, when the MEPS people divided everyone up by destination, he was the only one going to Leonard Wood (of 120 people). So, they changed his orders on Saturday morning and sent him to Fort Benning instead.

Gotta love the military. Three months to change the orders and they hand him new ones while he's in line for the airport bus. :)

12. luangtom

luangtom Active Member

Good luck to you, your family and especially your son, the recruit. Tell him "thanks" from the rest of us.

Being that he is at Ft. Benning, make an effort to attend his BT graduation. It is an event your family will not forget. Makes ya proud..... :mrgreen:

13. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

I agree wholeheartedly! Ft. Benning is about the last place where you'll find real basic training in the Army anymore. No "stress cards" there, and the guys aren't distracted (or weakened) by having the women alongside. Don't get me wrong. I've worked with many very service women, but I'm also of the opinion that men and women should not be training together.

Rick, Your son's in for a better experience at Ft. Benning. My son went there.

14. RickN

RickN New Member

The major benefit to me of him going to Benning was the ease of attending the graduation. Wifey and I would have gone to Leonard Wood -- wouldn't miss his graduation for the world -- but now others can attend without having to take a multi-day vacation and air travel costs in December.

15. Quest50

Quest50 Active Member

Be warned, you might have to knock the "post basic" attitude out of him, especially coming from Benning.... "All the army did was train me how to kill m******f***ers and that's all i know how to do. All i wanna do is go down range, that's all i was ever meant to do with my life." (rephrased and repeated a dozen times throughout the night) - a certain dumb:censored: i know who's fresh out of basic and AIT.

That, and as soon as he gets home, he won't know what to do with himself. While at basic, every second of his life will have been structured and planned, it'll take a few days to get over that.

Thank your son for his service for me.

16. BSCLibertarian

BSCLibertarian I'm kind of a big deal

Good luck and godspeed to him! :righton:

17. fran

fran New Member

He is getting into a good field. One that is able to be used in the civilian market if he determines the Army lifestyle is not for him long term. Did he have to do a 6yo active duty for advanced training? I did twenty years in the Navy learning my field (you never stop learning, right?). If it was not for that, I would not have the good job that I have right now. It was a good investment now that I look back on it.

18. RickN

RickN New Member

Yes, he has a 6 year commitment. I have a brother-in-law who used his Coast Guard time to learn electronics repair and made it into his post-CG career. My sister-in-law used her Army time to learn French and she's never used it once after leaving the Army.

I told Drew to be more like him than her -- give the long-term some thought when you pick an MOS. He scored a 97 on the qualifying test so he had his pick of jobs.

19. GFLinTX

GFLinTX New Member

Ok, I went to a POG basic training at Fort Benning in July of last year. I then continued on to OCS, so I met other officer candidates coming from pretty much every post where BCT is conducted. And none of them knew anything about "stress cards". So, no offense, CountryGun, but from my experience and encounters, stress cards are a total myth.

In fact, it seemed that my OCS friends who came from places like Knox had it far worse than I did. They knew nothing of the privileges I received in the later days of BCT like hefty phone time on Sundays and short-order foods in the DFAC. I know the infantry BCT at Benning (OSUT) is the toughest basic in the Army, but the non-infantry ones might actually be the easiest.

Just my two cents.

20. gruntpain1775

gruntpain1775 New Member

I have close friends that are now Drills at every Basic Training post, I can assure you stress cards are a myth.