Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son is in fifth grade, which apparently means he was automatically joined into the 4H club. As both a school project and a 4H project, he must give a presentation, and I am to help him. His topic is the 4 Rules of Gun Safety (which somewhat to my surprise, they accepted). The basic presentation will be him explaining the rules while showing pictures of rule violations and people following the rules.

So far we have found some good pictures (Harry Trumen looking down a barrel of a rifle, Reagan with his finger on the trigger of an AR, that famous picture of the Border Patrol agent muzzle sweeping Elian Gonzalez). For Rule 4, we have a picture from our neighborhood of a fox in front of a house. As a contrast, we wanted a picture of a fox, deer, etc. clearly visible in a field with nothing in the background. I have found some pictures on the Internet that would suit the bill, but if any of y'all have an original picture you would share, that would be great. I plan to use Paint to add a simple reticle over the animal.

I don't hunt or take cool pictures, so right now, fair use pictures from the Internet is all that we have.

Thanks in advance.

·
American
3,289 Posts
Funny, but the further from Enlightened Atlanta one gets the less histrionic the schools seem to be in my experience. Good luck with the presentation.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
My son did his presentation today, and he says he was complimented by the 4H judge. School did not go into lockdown and no cops were called.

For the record, these were the pictures used in his presentation: Harry S Truman inspecting a Marine's rifle; Emily Robinson holding an AR and a shotgun; Ronald Reagan holding an AR (with his finger on the trigger); me checking out a Barrett .50 cal at the NRA convention; a Border Patrol Agent aiming a SMG at Elian Gonzalez; my wife shooting my AR at the range; and also pictures of a fox and a deer that did not feature guns. He was specifically complimented on the quality of the pictures used to illustrate each rule.

In one part of the presentation, he refers to "so-called 'accidental' shootings." He understands the difference between negligence and accidents, and he effectively used a sarcastic tone so that you could practically see the air quotes around "accidental."

·
Registered
846 Posts
My compliments to your son for an excellent project and to 4H. My kids are long out of school, but back in their day 4H sponsored trap and skeet teams in high school. I don't know if they still do. Oldest grandson starts high school in a couple of years and he would greatly enjoy participating.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm going to use this thread to brag on my son. We found out this week that he placed in the top three in the entire county for his category (Safety), and he will be going to the district competition in Rome. Someone mentioned that there are only 12 kids from the county going to district, although I don't know how true that is. I am very proud of him.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,937 Posts
Mega thumbs-up! Good for your son, Dawgdoc! :righton:

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
It makes me wish I was more into guns as a kid/young teen. So much knowledge on the topic I could've developed between then and now. I have so much catching up to do.

Tell your son that a lot of us gun-folks are very happy to hear his project is doing well.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My son got third place in the safety category at the district meeting (which is the highest that fifth graders can attend). Frankly, I think there was only one other presenter who possibly did better, but I'm not the judge.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Excellent! I'm pleased that they even let the project through due to the "sensitive subject matter."
The next category of presentations after him was "Target Sports" or something similar. I saw a bunch of kids bringing in compound bows for their demonstrations.

In my son's group, there was one other girl who did a much broader gun safety presentation, and a boy who did a hunting safety presentation.

There was no hysteria.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts