Georgiapacking.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Boyscout leaders for our area had a Banquet dinner Last Friday. I received an email saying that my son and I needed to attend. It had something to do with a sales project.

I contacted another scout family since I don't have a car, and I'm wheelchair bound. They agreed to take us, and they got to enjoy the dinner also. We got there, the dinner was amazingly delicious! We were served BBQ chicken quarters (leg and thigh, breast and wing), pulled pork, a different sauce for each meat, baked beans, a vegetable medley, potato salad, toasted french bread loaf, banana pudding, smores pudding, and a cake. Sweet tea, unsweetened ice tea, water and coffee.

After we were done eating, the program started and after giving out the leadership awards and recognitions, they finally called out that 2 scouts were receiving awards for popcorn sales. The first was for a cubscout who had top sales for the cubscouts in this district. The second one was one boy who accomplished 2 recognizable goals...one, he sold the most popcorn in the district for the boyscouts, and because of his high sales, his troop was also the top earning troop for the district. The cubscout got a baseball cap, and my son got a zippered book cover for his scout manual. He has been wanting one of those, and was so happy to have been given one as an award! It was a great night, and I was so happy to see him get called up and recognized for his accomplishment!

BTW...the online popcorn sales is still open and the scouts could still earn for their scout financial needs...such as dues, camping costs, equipment costs etc... The webpage is trails-end.com, it will ask for the zip code, if you would like to order giving credit to my son that would be zip code 31326, and then is asks you to chose a scout to get the credit, for my son that would be "Cody R / Tracy / 0165

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
Is he going for his Eagle rank? For many kids his age there is a lot of thought of what happens later in their life and they look back on their days in scouts. However, it is kind of nifty later in life to be able to say "I am a Boy Scout" instead of "I was a Boy Scout".

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He is just barely ready to go for his tenderfoot rank. I hope he gets that done within the month so he can do the second class soon (that's nearly done in the book) and then first class will come quickly after that.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Whatever else you do, please encourage him to go for the Eagle rank. I messed around and turned 18 before I could finish and 37 years later, I still regret not finishing it.

Later, when he is older, Philmont is a must go at least once.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Whatever else you do, please encourage him to go for the Eagle rank. I messed around and turned 18 before I could finish and 37 years later, I still regret not finishing it.

Later, when he is older, Philmont is a must go at least once.
Will have to see if he can get some sponsors to help him get to Philmont...that's pricey, and he has to earn his own way to all of the campouts cause I'm disabled and fighting for my disability. He earned enough for summer camp, and then dues came up for the year and now he is down a bit...hopefully he will be able to earn it back with the camp cards coming out soon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts