My New (to me) AR15 *Pics added*

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Adam5, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

My AR15 saga has come to its end finally. I found a used Century Arms C15 for $639 at Bullseye in Lawrenceville. I had never seen a Century AR, all of the rifles that I have seen have been AK or Galil variants. I did a little research, and this is what I found.

Several years ago Century found a supply of surplus Colt M16A2 rifles in Latin America. The reimported them, contracted DPMS to supply them with new forged lowers and semi-auto lower parts w/2 stage triggers. They built the C15s on the DPMS lowers using the original Colt M16A2 uppers with new 1 in 9 twist barrels, new bolts, new bolt carriers, and new collapsible stocks. They sold new for approx $700.

I found an article where SWAT magazine tested one in '03. They gave it a good review and were pleased with its 1.49" inch groups at 100 yards with Sellier&Bellot 55gr FMJ ammo and also shot 1.7" groups with Winchester 55gr FMJ.

I did some looking on the internet and found a few selling for $685-$750. This one appears to have been fired very little and was $639. I paid a $50 deposit and will pay the rest and pick it up Sat afternoon. I'll post pics this weekend, and will be bringing it on the 16th.

Thank you everyone for your patience over the last few days while I asked questions and worked through what I wanted. :D

Adam

2. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Glad you found a rifle, and I hope it works well for you. Looking forward to the pics.

3. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

Put up some pics when you can. I was there 2 weeks ago and didn't see it.

Congrats! :shoot:

4. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I borrowed this off of Gunbroker. It's the same as mine, except my doesn't have the sling.

[​IMG]

5. CoolHand

CoolHand Active Member

The rifle in the picture does not have an A2 style upper receiver or 20" barrel. That is an old school M-16A1 style upper receiver with an 11.5 inch barrel and a pinned and welded (hopefully) 5.5 inch flash hider. The A1's rear sights were capable of windage only adjustment. You have to adjust elevation by turning the front sight post. I think they called the original Colts the "XM177" model developed for SF in the 1960s.

I've always thought these were really neat style rifles. You ain't gonna be sniping anything at 300 + yards with it. It'll make a really handy truck/home defense gun though, kind of a Viet Nam era version of a M-1 carbine.

Welcome to the Black Rifle addiction! :D

6. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Mine has a 16" barrel. I "borrowed" the pic off of Gunbroker. When i pick mine up Sat I'll post a pic of it.

7. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

Does it have those Car-15 style handguards? The short ones? I've always wished I had those on mine.

How much have you budgeted for "accessories"?

Glad to see you're excited. They are fun rifles and very versatile.

8. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Yes it does, and zero (for now :twisted: ) I've started a wish list though.

Lots of mags
    9mm upper
    Sling
    Red Dot (set up to co-witness)

9. cdtracing

cdtracing New Member

AR-15

Good find, not a bad price too.

Chris

10. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Congrats!

Glad you made it to the dark side. :D

11. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I'll be at Bullseye withit Sat afternoon. Waiting is driving me nuts !!!!

12. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Tell me about it!!! I've been hanging out on AR15.com and am already thinking about a .22 cal conversion kit..... optics..... 9mm upper.... if I get a 9mm upper (Richard, the new guy, at Bullseye in Cumming has a sweet 9mm AR.), I may as well get another lower and have a seperate gun.....

All this and I don't even have the thing yet !!!!! By this time tomorrow I'll be at Bullseye making it go BANG.. BANG.. BANG.. BANG.. BANG.. BANG.. BANG.. BANG.. BANG.. BANG.. BANG..
    I may even have to shoot it at Bullseye in L'ville. As long as there picking it up, and they do have a range.......... I sure can be an impatient b*stard sometimes !!!!

13. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

HERE IT IS !!!!

I just got it home !!! Here are the pics !!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I just got back from running 100 rounds through it. :D I just have one word to say.

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEET !!!!!

15. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

16. Sine Nomen

Sine Nomen New Member

Ohhh! Ohh! Scary Black Rifle!!!! Run and Hide before it jumps up and starts killing children! Run for your lives! :woohoo:

Seriously though, nice rifle. I'm more than a little bit jealous.