My new 1911's has a little eating disorder..

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by ZTC, Nov 14, 2010.

1. ZTC

ZTC Member

So I just got my Metro Arms 1911 American Classic II government model and I'm having a small feeding issue. Its got a factory 8rd mag (ACT-MAG I think). It has no issue with ball ammo ever. If I load the mag totally full with hollow point rounds and try to chamber the first round in it jams almost every time. But this ONLY happens when I'm chambering the FIRST round from a FULL mag and the chamber is CLOSED when I load the mag. If the mag only has 7rds loaded or if I insert the full mag with the slide fully open and then chamber a round it works fine. The guns already thoated and polished so I'm thinking its a mag problem . What do y'all think? What do I do to fix it?

2. dunkel

dunkel New Member

Fix it? As if it's broken?

If JMB had wanted it to feed HP rounds, he would have designed it to do so.

3. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

FIFY

4. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

It's most likely the mag. My 1911 will feed anything I run through it, but I have a couple of 10 round mags I use at the range for practice sometimes and one of them will jam the first round almost every time.

5. streetriots

streetriots Clueless

My RIA compact came with an ACT mag. If I load 7 in the mag, it jams. The 1911 was made for 6 rd mags.

6. martin_j001

martin_j001 Active Member

7. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

You may want to try Mec-Gar magazines as another option in addition to the ones suggested here.

8. Puffyfish

Puffyfish New Member

Yeah baby, hands down!..[​IMG]

9. JohnGalt88

JohnGalt88 New Member

I have had fantastic luck Mec-Gar mags as well. They make a very high quality product. They will probably be a good deal cheaper than a Wilson 47D too.

10. ZTC

ZTC Member

I picked up a kimber pro tac 7rd mag for around $20 and so far its ok as it feeds better but I haven't shot it yet. Ill still be looking for a couple. Maybe a wil-son and a mec-gar :righton:

11. yrualeg

yrualeg Member

I have to agree....Wilson Mags are the way to go.... :righton:

12. ZTC

ZTC Member

Well I picked up a Wilson Combat 47D! Wow what a great mag! Feeds my SD loads as smooth as FMJs! Great mag thanks for the help!

13. Hunley

Hunley Active Member

Buy some 8-round Wilson Combat mags. Problem solved. My Springfield GI Model had issues feeding, even with Chip McCormick mags. I bought some Kimber Pro-Tac mags that were not completely reliable, but probably 95% functional with HPs. The Wilsons were phenomenal, though.