My Mother got "Interviewed"

Discussion in 'Citizens Encounters' started by Fallschirmjäger, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

Yesterday, I was taking in the last of the groceries at my Mother's house as she went back out to shut the trunk and garage door. I heard a man's voice and hers replying. As our neighbors tend to leave us alone, I thought it passing strange. I poked my head out to see two men (White and Hispanic) in an older compact SUV in the drive and heard them ask if she needed any roofing or yard work to be done.

As I'm not used to people canvassing neighborhoods from door to door soliciting yard work, I thought I'd interject myself into da sitchyaition. I called loudly from the door that we didn't need any and thanked them for their time in no uncertain terms. The white guy gave me god's blessings and got back into the SUV but it still had the hair on the back of my neck raised. It's just not 'normal', I thought, to solicit work that way. I suspect they saw a white-haired old lady and thought they might have found easy prey.

I called FCSO and reported the incident although I made sure not to alledge any suspicion of criminal conduct and I couldn't really describe the SUV (aside from color) or its occupants. I merely asked that if they had a deputy free he might take a slow drive through the neighborhood.

Funny thing, right before that I had someone on facebook tell me how much safer we'd be if people weren't allowed to have firearms. I must say that holding one out of sight behind my back certainly didn't make me feel any Less safe.

2. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

I don't think mine would have been hidden behind me. It would have been holstered but exposed so Mr Yardwork would see it and realize (assuming bad intentions) he was not in a good situation. Assuming no bad intentions he still would have taken the reply seriously.

Nemo

3. Fallschirmjäger

I was kinda hoping to avoid any "man with a gun" reports to the local Sheriff's office and a repeat of an earlier experience.

4. Archangel

Archangel Moderator Staff Member

Were you wearing your police socks?

:hide:

5. Fallschirmjäger

I've switched to some Much sexier knee high socks, like those anime schoolgirls wear.

6. StarJack

StarJack Well Aged Member

I've imagined much worse... but I'm still trying to blink that image to a forgidaboudit region of my brain.

(Good on you BTW)

7. Solomon_G

Solomon_G New Member

That used to happen a lot where i was in Indiana...on another note.

A friend of mine had some lady come to his door saying she was with ATT...asking him all kinds of questions about who all lived in the house, what times they all worked...got a phone call and told them she would call back in a few, then asked him if he had anything to eat!

Some jacked up stuff going on.

8. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Are they the thick or thin stripes?

Nemo

9. Archangel

Archangel Moderator Staff Member

LOL I think I have those same socks... My kids make fun of me.

Getting old sucks...

10. phaed

phaed Active Member

in some ways, yeah. like waking up with some new pain you didn't have the day before. but in some ways it's easier. we get to sit back and laugh at all the folks wrestling with stuff we've already figured out in life.

11. Schweisshund

Schweisshund Well-Known Member

I dropped an Uber passenger off late/early morning and had someone tailgate me all the way to my house. They followed me along back roads too. They passed my house slowly, went down the street (dead end) and came back very slowly. I was standing at the end of my driveway, clearly showing my sidearm (not drawn), and they sped up and got the heck out of there. I reported it about 15 minutes after it happened. I was asked if it was maybe the newspaper delivery guy - it wasn't - I know who he is.

Anyways, a car that fit the description I gave ended up in a high speed chase the next day and the driver was caught as they ended up wrecking their car.

If that ever happens to me again, I am driving straight to the police station. I figured they probably thought I was soccer mom since I was driving a mini van.

12. mrhutch

mrhutch Well-Known Member

I used to work as a door to door salesman for a tree work company. It's very effective. I encountered other tree company folks, yard work folks, roofers, etc that use the same tactic. Don't be too alarmed by the idea in general.

13. GM404

GM404 Well-Known Member

Well, here in Cobb county, if you don't a solicitor's badge, it's illegal. And as to the part I underlined...yeah, F that noise.

Not too long ago, my Dad (who is in his late 80's) told me about a "nice, young man" that came out and did some yardwork for him. I was a little concerned since 1) I do the yard work and 2) I have asked him repeatedly to NOT answer the door unless he is expecting someone. Anyway, I asked some more questions and Dad told me about how great he was, did good work and even did something in the back "for free!". The guy did leave a business card, which I am VERY glad he did. Long story short, when I did a background check on the guy, I found out that he had been in and out of jail since the late 70's, had been committed for being whack and his last arrest and conviction was in 2012 for robbing a Kroger with an incendiary device. When I shared this with my Dad, he was shocked, I mean SHOCKED because..well, he was "such a nice white man!".

Anyway...I think this was the lesson he needed about there being bad people in the world...even in the "nice parts of town".

I *always* consider someone on my property (not invited) as someone who is there to do harm against me and family and until they prove otherwise, they will being treated accordingly...which means I will have my hand ON MY WEAPON.

Lastly, in our neighborhood, we have a crackhead that comes around once every few weeks trying to clean gutters. I have told him repeatedly to stay off my property, but he either 1) doesn't listen or 2) doesn't remember. Now when he comes around, I don't bother to answer the door and he finally leaves after a couple of minutes.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  14. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

New Jehovah's Witnesses tactic? :mrgreen:

15. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Or the pain still there from yesterday. :(

16. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Or the same old pain getting worse? :-(

But pain is a good thing - it reminds you you're still alive. :)

17. RonVickery

RonVickery Member

Don't get me started.