My Mosin M-44 is here!!! Pics Added!!!!

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Sharky, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Sharky

Sharky New Member

So I just picked up my M-44!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seems like it is in reeeeeallllllly good condition. It has matching #'s and laminated stock. It has 1945 stamped on it as well.

I will upload pics this evening.

Now how in the heck do I open the tin of ammo!!!!!!

Below are pics I added, came with the dog collars, sling, ammo pouch, tool kit, oiler. I picked up some stripper clips for it, now to see how well they work.

[​IMG][/url]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [/img]

2. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

Re: My Mosin M-44 is here!!!

Cutting torch?

Sledge hammer?

Run over it with a car?

hmmmmm......

Did you try the can opener that should have been with the can? 8)

3. Sharky

Sharky New Member

I am sitting at my work desk, boss let me go pick it up on the clock!

Greaaat boss.....

I will check and see if it has one on the can itself, but you know how this old ammo is sometimes.

4. RepeatDefender

RepeatDefender New Member

Unfold that bayonet and put it to work :lol:

J/K, got a P38 can opener, that would work. Did it come with a tool or no?

5. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

Worst case you can always cut away the rim with a pair of tin snips....

6. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I used a screwdriver to open up one of the seams on mine. The bayonette would work too.

7. Sharky

Sharky New Member

LOL

I guess thats how they did it back then!

Thanks guys..... Will let you know how I make out.

Adam- When you received yours did you give it a good cleaning or not needed? Looks pretty darn clean, and bolt functions really smooth.....

I downloaded all the manuals for the bolt and the rifle itself. Just wondering what you guys thought I should do before I shot it for the first time.

8. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Hand it to someone else and stand back. Just in case. :D

9. RepeatDefender

Remove all cosmoline before you shoot. Then remove some more. If you don't, you'll probably get Sticky bolt Syndrome. Make sure the chamber and magazine area are COMPLETELY cosmo free.

10. Sharky

Sharky New Member

Hmmmmmm

Now to find a volunteer!!!!!! LOL :lol:

11. M249

M249 New Member

Edit: Wow! That is a nice rifle!

12. RepeatDefender

If the bolt # doesn't match the receiver # you might want to get it checked out by a gunsmith for any headspace issues.

You might want to anyway, just for peace of mind.

And before you get PO'ed about accuracy...Try it without the bayo extended for accuracy and then try it WITH the bayo for accuracy. Most were designed and sighted with the bayo extended.

13. Sharky

Sharky New Member

Yeah I was thinking I would have to do that. After some research every website I came across said to do that. Thats why I downloaded all the manuals for take down.

I will take the bolt apart and then the rifle and give it a good wipe down.

Any product in particualr for teh job?

Is Hoppes 9 fine for cleaning the entire rifle and then what should I use as a lube? Just use the 9 as both cleaner and lube on all parts including the bolt?

14. RepeatDefender

Any good degreaser will work for cosmo cleaning, so go with something cheap. There may be alot more cosmo than you think.

I use CLP or EEzox for lube on my Mosins.

15. Sharky

Sharky New Member

I got real lucky in that the numbers match!

It came with the tool kit that had that special screwdriver with the cutouts to measure heights of the striker. So I should be good to go on the bolt. I was actually surprised as they didnt mention I would get a complete tool kit with it as well!

16. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Nice. Can't wait to see the pictures. :D

17. Sharky

Sharky New Member

Promise to put up some pics prior to cleaning so you all can see another Mosin!

18. Sharky

Sharky New Member

Thanks to everybody for helping with my first rifle.

Appreciate youz guyz

19. Sharky

Sharky New Member

So as a good degreaser like windex??? Sorry for the stupid question, one of those things I dont want to screw up!

20. RepeatDefender

I do feel the need to warn you about Mosinitis. I is a dread contagious infection. It usually comes on with the purchase of an M44. That is how my own case began. Then as you learn more about these rifles and as the infection incubates, you become drawn to the rifles. You begin to think about more Mosins. The next thing you know there is another Mosin in your gunsafe, then another, then a friend gets his first Mosin. Then you get into the long Mosins. Then you discover the variations in them. And the next thing you know the Mosinitis has spread and metasticized, you want more Mosins, then SKS's, then AK's, RPK's, and Dragunov's. Then you might even buy a Commie flag to display the guns on and Commie helmet...........................................

And by then the Mosinitis will have you completely in its clutches. There is no turning back, join me in this glorious sickness :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: