My living will

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Adam5, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

MY LIVING WILL
    >
    > Last night, my friend and I were sitting in the living room and I said
    to
    > her, "I never want to live in a vegetative state, dependent on some
    > machine and fluids from a bottle. If that ever happens, just pull the
    > plug."
    >
    > She got up, unplugged the computer and threw out my wine.
    >
    >
    > She's such a b**ch.....

2. cripple

cripple New Member

now thats funny...and so true of myself!

3. Sharky

Sharky New Member

nice Adam.........:)

4. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

Was deleting some ooold emails and came across a different take on this;

Subject: Living Will

I, __________________________, being of sound mind and body, do not wish to be kept alive indefinitely by artificial means.

Under no circumstances should my fate be put in the hands of pinhead politicians who couldn't pass ninth-grade biology if their lives depended on it: or with lawyers/doctors interested in simply running up the bills.

If a reasonable amount of time passes and I fail to ask for at least one of the following:

______a Bloody Mary

______a Cold Beer

______a Rum and Coke

______a Martini

______a Vodka on the rocks

______a Steak

______Lobster or crab legs

______The remote control

______a Bowl of ice cream

______The sports page

______Chocolate

______Sex

It should be presumed that I won't ever get better. When such a determination is reached, I hereby instruct my appointed person and attending physicians to pull the plug, reel in the tubes and call it a day.

Signature: ___________________________

Date:

5. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Hey Adam5 and S&W40:

I like them both!

Without the good things in life, what's the point of living?

On a serious note, everyone should have a living will.

Most people do not understand just what can happen if instructions have been left that all possible measure to extend life be utilized. Trust me, or at least ask your doc, none of us wants to be put thru that.

If there's no hope, let me go. Let me go quietly and without pain. DO NOT pump me full of drugs, stuff a tube down my throat, bruise me horribly and painfully while attempting to find a vein and all the other stuff that truly is torture and which won't keep me alive for any significant amount of time.

Just let me go.

Everyone needs a living will.... everyone! Because, in the absence of one, all that terrible stuff I mentioned must be done to you. It's the law. Docs and hospitals must extend life at all cost unless people have a living will or a health care surrogate to tell them otherwise.

The best any of us can hope for is a peaceful death. We won't get that w/o a living will...

:help:

6. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

Ditto to what Mac said. I believe it is every adult's right to determine how and when they leave this ball of mud and a living will preserves that right.

7. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

Yup.

Next time you're at your local hospital for any reason, stop by their admissions desk and ask for some info on it. Most places will give you an info book and a sample advance directive that you can fill out and get legal right there.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Not to open the moral can of worms, but how is it I can leave a living will which requests I be let go, yet I can still be arrested for attempted suicide? lol

I'm in full support of living wills and already have mine written up, but I just find the above ironic.

9. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

A helpful piece of advice.

When my brother was fighting his cancer he notified his doctors and the hospital of what his wishes were. His oncologist and pulmanologist both fully understood what he wanted and they made sure that the nurses did whenever he went to the hospital. When the time came, his doctor did as he wanted, without his wife having to say the words. It was hard enough on us to lose him, but it would have been ever more so, had one of us have to tell them to discontinue life support.

I hope and pray that none of us ever need to be in a position where a living will would come into play, but if you should, please don't make it harder on family members than it already will be.

Adam

10. SigP229

SigP229 Active Member

What you just said is going to make me go do it. Thanks for the eye opener Adam.

11. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Sorry if I sounded glum, but it's still fresh in my mind every day. Wednesday will be four weeks since we lost him. It definately rearragned my priorities some.

12. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

No worries. I think all of us completely understand.

13. SigP229

SigP229 Active Member

+1

14. cdtracing

cdtracing New Member

Agreed.

15. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

And age isn't a factor. I'm 36 & the wife is 29. We both have living wills, wills, and power of attny all set up & in a nice saef place. Gotta have that stuff otherwise the gov gets all into your business & property. It's not hard. GO DO IT.

:exactly: