My LAR-8 jams almost after every round

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Viking, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Viking

Viking New Member

I'm so pissed. This is just the second time I've gone to fire my RRA LAR-8. First time wasn't that smooth, but this time it was a nightmare and now has to be sent back.

I put in the mag, fire a round, then try to fire again and it's jammed. Then I have to re-cock / empty the chamber and put the magazine back in, only to repeat. I bought a new mag (fal) and have used three kinds of bullets, including hornady and Remington. I bought it at Bullseye in Lawrenceville and their solution is to send it to RRA for me.

Any suggestions other than curl up in the fetal position and cry?

2. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

You said it jams...what does that mean???
    Failure to extract the fired round??? Extracts the fired round, but won't feed the fresh round from the mag??

3. JiG

JiG Awaiting censure

What's the jamming issue? Failure to go into battery? Failure to extract completely? Failure to feed from the mag?

4. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

5. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

RRA will make it right, if it comes to that.

6. Viking

Viking New Member

It seems to be a failure to feed properly issue. The bullet is in the chamber, but cockeyed/angled.

7. JiG

JiG Awaiting censure

To be sure, there's no spent casing in there blocking the path for the new cartridge?

Where exactly is the bullet tip sticking? My first thought is your mag isn't holding your ammo high enough to get a clear ramp up on the feed ramps but its high enough for the bolt in recoil to strip the cartridges out of the mag on its return to battery.

8. Hock25

Hock25 New Member

Don't ride the charging handle. Rip it back and let it go.

9. Jmark

Jmark Active Member

Well my friend who is an smith sent one of his neighbors LAR-8's back because of light primer strikes resulting in the gun not firing several rounds every mag and they told him nothing was wrong with it and sent it back. The firing pin protrusion is .010 under what is standard for an M1A. I believe he was going to turn the shoulder down to correct the issue but I haven't asked him about that since he worked on the gun.