my hobby, what ive been up to.

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by 1str8shot, Dec 17, 2010.

1. 1str8shot

1str8shot New Member

i know a few of you have been wondering where ive been lately since i havent been posting much anymore. a couple of people here that i know personally know that i am a car audio competitor. well recently ive gotten back into my audio stuff and have been doing a new build in my car for competitions. i went to a show 2 weeks ago and played within 5db of the world record in my class. i was running 1 18" subwoofer in my car, and the world record was set with 16 12" subwoofers. with the single 18" subwoofer my car was capable of 151db at 32 cycles on term-lab spl meter. if you use the audiocontrol spl meter that OSHA uses to check compliance it would read nearly 160db.

i took that system out and have been working on this the last 2 weeks.......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 1str8shot

1str8shot New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [imghttp://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o239/hugh-g-rection/photo14.jpg[/img]
    [​IMG]

3. 1str8shot

1str8shot New Member

so that is where i am with it now. what this is, is a fourth order bandpass wall. alot of engineering work and modeling and plotting goes into calculating this enclosure. i plotted it on the computer and it should play relatively flat from 30cycles to 65cycles. sort of an anomaly in the world of acoustics.

i should have this thing playing tomorrow. should get plenty loud.

4. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

uh, your hobby is filling the back of your car with 2x4's?????? :wink:

I didn't know you could "compete" to see who had the loudest car stereo. I guess I am just an old fart

5. 1str8shot

1str8shot New Member

car stereo competitions have been around for over 30 years. i have competed everywhere from miami florida to louisville kentucky. national championships to world finals.

my hobby is acoustics. i cut metal for a living, but my passion is the science of sound. but dont worry sheriff, im not one of those kids that rides around pissing everyone off in the middle of the night. my stereo is for competitions and events only.

6. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

It keeps him out of trouble.

7. politenessman

politenessman Active Member

I thought it was a sauna.

.... Kidding - I used to design, build and rent out PA gear for bands many years ago. I love audio electronics.

8. todhog

todhog Member

I thought it was a rolling out house.

9. 1str8shot

1str8shot New Member

lol, i almost spilled my beer. :lol:

10. jdh31313

jdh31313 Active Member

I was thinking sniper hide at first :D

11. kestak

kestak New Member

I wish I would have taken pictures. In my crazy years, I had 850 watts of sound in my Honda Accord. I had to replace the alternator for a stronger one.

I was never satisfied with the bazooka-style speakers. I installed 2 12 inches behind the rear seats. The back trunk, with a few modifications with plywood, Styrofoam and a couple 2x4 was my boom box.

I had a cut-off button in the dash for the 12 inches to switch to 8 inches.

The vibration was so intense that the "quarter test" took an average of 10 seconds with Funky Cold Medina. hehehe (Put a quarter in the center of the roof top and calculate how long it takes to fall off on the ground)

Thanks God, I was wearing plugs in my car...LOL Because I would be deaf now.

What is the best brand now for amplis? In my time, everyone was with Alpines..What a waste of money paying for the name...hehehe Never used those.

12. MrMorden

MrMorden New Member

I'm not an audiophile, but that looks like it's going to do what you want it to. Here's what I've been doing in my spare time:

[​IMG]

It's the horizontal tail of what will become this:

[​IMG]

13. 1str8shot

1str8shot New Member

how along ago were you into the audio stuff? things have changed ALOT since then. as for amps, there are so many different technologies now that its just crazy. class a/b, class d, class t, water cooled raw power amps, and so on. there are class d amps out now that can put out as much as 20,000watts rms with under 900amp current draw, which is just crazy efficiency.

14. 1str8shot

1str8shot New Member

thats awesome stuff morden.

15. JeF4y

JeF4y New Member

I hope it cleans up. Aren't you judged on aesthetics as well as SPL and frequency response?

I built a lot of car systems in the late 80's & early 90's and always worked well at doing more with less. It was a lot of fun to push out cleaner bass with a single 10 over guys who had 2 15's in a crappy box that sounded like a fart.

Good luck to you (and the suspension on that poor PT.. Lol)

16. JeF4y

JeF4y New Member

I'd like to hear the OP chime in on this since he's still competitive with it, but for me from the day they hit the market through today, I use Rockford Fosgate components. Incredible power & stability even at very low impedance, and their customer service rocks if you ever do fry anything.

17. slammy

slammy New Member

Hey I operate 3 sawmills I for one I'm glad to see all those 2x4's....Keep adding them! :righton: