My girlfriends house was burglarized this weekend.

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by foshizzle, Jan 15, 2007.

1. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

I'm not really comfortable posting something this personal online, but I think someone else may learn something from it. That, and I've been thinking a lot about it since and this seems a good of a place as any to vent.

Anyways, this weekend my girlfriends renter arrived home about 5pm (broad daylight) to find the downstairs door kicked in and the place ransacked. She called the police. Both I and my girlfriend had left probably 3 hours earlier... me to go home to my apartment and her to work. Long story short, about 7pm we were both back at her house, along with a few Lawrenceville cops going through her house, which had been pretty much ransacked.

The renters downstairs apartment where they made entry caught the worst of it. The door, which I judge to likely be the MOST solid door in the whole house, didn't fail but the wall did. Nice. They made their way upstairs by either bypassing the cheapo locks between the upstairs/downstairs or they were possibly left unlocked. Doesn't matter, they were WAY easier to bust down if they wanted to. Proceeded to ransack the upstairs as well... doing the usual, pulling out drawers, rifling through stuff on shelves... doing what theives do. Opened every door EXCEPT the back door which had the German Sheperd and killer Jack Russell behind it. Again, nice.

Luckily, nothing not easily replaced. The usual easily stolen items, MP3 players, playstations, some liquor bottles, cash laying around, camera.... they missed the hidden cash and the safety deposit box with important papers and such. Dogs were, of course, OK. Her .380 pistol was ON THE FLOOR... I have no idea why they didn't take it! No major structural damage except the door jamb which can be repaired relatively easily. They have "suspects". Caught a few teens earlier in the neighborhood drunk and fighting and put them under arrest. When the renter mentioned she had some of those tiny airplane bottles of booze stolen, the cop actually pulled some of those off the kids, brought them back and she identified them. They were probably fighting over divvying up our goods... again... nice. Of course, our goods are gone and they're going to interview the bastards today. Of course, they have previous records of burglary, are juveniles and I have no illusions that they will not be punished and our stuff has already been sold. They'll most likely do it again. And again.

I dunno. I'm still kind of coming down off the whole thing. It wasn't "MY" house, but it might as well have been. I'm there often enough. I'm amazed that nothing of mine was actually stolen. Scary thing is, this week was the first of her new schedule, so we SHOULD have been home. If we were running errands, I would have had probably 2k worth of guns (I go shoot close to where she lives) for them to take. If we WERE home, either awake or asleep and the crooks made entry the way they did... man, there are very few regular criminals who would be prepared for what would have met them at the top of those stairs. That door being kicked in would have made enough noise to set a series of events into motion that would have been very BAD for them :D

So... lessons learned?

We're not safe. This was during the day. This neighborhood isn't 'bad' but my girl especially has been commenting in recent months it's going downhill. I bet they did all this damage and stole all this stuff in under 15 minutes. They are in and out that fast I bet. It can happen when you run out for milk. Don't make it any easier for them.

Really hide or secure the stuff you can't live easily without. Birth certificate, social security card, passport, financial documents, etc. LUCKILY, hers didn't get jacked. That kind of stuff (especially nowadays) is especially difficult to replace. Bolt your safe into the foundation. We don't have that option, so I think we could use some kind of fake wall or cutout. Maybe cut a hole in the drywall, put one of those stick-out air-vents over it and we'll have enough room to slide a small fireproof safe in there. Doubt they'll look that far.

Read up on Georga laws regarding self-defense, particularly that of defending your habitation. All the guns and preparations in the world won't help if you're not there to apply them. If you are there... I would apply them as liberally as possible. The cops at the scene suggested what I already knew. "They were reaching into their pants and I fired". Stick to the story.

Again, what a weekend. The stuff they took isn't really horribly bad. It's the stress, worry and time taken fixing the stuff they broke, getting estimates, doing insurance, taking time of work to do all of it. I drove 200 miles this weekend alone running back and forth. I bet they probably stole 1500$ worth of stuff, got 200$ for it and caused 500$ in damage. Depressing. I'm just glad nobody was hurt because everything can be replaced. I don't really care about the dogs either, just my girlfriend... as long as she's ok, I'm not going to go into cardiac arrest or anything, but I'll be honest... I've been fighting the urge to walk the neighborhood and start strangling anyone who looks suspicious. I'm just going to kick back with a few beers, but man... what a pain in the ass this all is.

We're going to be getting a house together soon and I'll try to burglar-proof it a bit better than hers is. As best I can, at least. It's really a sad state of affairs where they'll do this during the middle of the day in a crowded neighborhood and get away with it. Kinda makes me wish for a return of the lynch mobs that dealt with thieves the old-fashioned way. Oh well... guess we'll let 20th century "justice" work it's magic.... :banghead:

Thanks for listening.

2. RIPNITZ

RIPNITZ Guest

Dude, that sux!!!! Sorry to hear about that!
    It really pisses me off that people do stupid things like that. It makes no sense what-so-ever. Glad yall werent home, but if you were home, the damage woulndt have been done if you coulde gotten a clean shot at em'. :D

My advice, grab a case of bud and keep those dogs "inside" the house. lmao..

Anywho, glad you and your girl are ok and she might want to look for another place.
    BTW, where about do you live? somewhere around atlanta?

3. pro2am

pro2am New Member

Glad to hear nobody got hurt. The "stuff" is replaceable, even though it is a pain in the butt.

I've owned Shepherds since I was a kid, I'm 41 now and on my fifth dog. The dog is always in the house. They are really good deterrents. Might take training if it's used to being outside, but it can deter this kind of thing.

Grab a brew, try to relax, and make your plans.

4. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Sorry to hear about the break in. I saw something on TV the other day that may help in the future. It was a steel wrap that went around the full height of the door jamb. It's supposed to make it VERY hard to kick in a door, since the jamb is normally the weakest point of a dead bolted door. I'm sorry I don't remember what the name or brand was.

5. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

Thanks for the comments. You guys are pretty much mirroring my thinking on this... I'm just glad nobody was at home. I'm pretty sure that if she or I were at home, it would probably have turned out a lot differently, but we would likely be spending a LOT of time in court and talking to the DA about the kids we killed. If the renter was at home, it could have been very bad for her as she's just a teeny young woman. My girl is PD so I'm also thankful she was at work and they didn't get any of her duty gear. I think we're going to talk about how she stores her gear while she's off of work.

The Shepard is indeeed, a great deterrent. Unfortunately, she's old. That's the main reason she stays outside since she can't really go 10 hours without using the outside "facilities". When she barks she does sound like a killing machine though... which is one reason I'm confident those kids weren't as thorough as they could have been. I'm sure she was making enough noise after hearing them busting down doors to make them move quickly.

Coincidentally, I'm an ex-Marine and when it comes to defending my safety or hers, I don't need a clear shot to unleash hell :twisted:

6. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

wow foshizzle, that's a crappy situation. However, everyone that counts is safe.

Only thing to do now is learn how they made entry and make it harder to do so in the future.

7. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I know that feeling. I have a 90 lb Lab, a 65 lb Plott Hound, a Rat Terrier/Besenji mix, and 2 Jack's in the house. They are the friendliest dogs in the world, and wouldn't do more than drown someone in slobber. But, If you don't know any better and as much as knock on the door, forget about coming in, you'll think that you're about get eaten alive.

8. Foul

Foul Guest

The little snots have probably cased the entire neighborhood and have a list of just who goes out on a regular basis and when.

An adjustable timer switch on a stereo or a tv turned up, going off and on at different intervals, may make them think twice about targeting since they wouldn't be sure if someone is in or not.

9. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Sorry, foshizzle. :cry:

Do you know the identity of these "kids" :roll: and whether they live in the neighborhood? Mysterious things could happen. :shock:

Prior records of felonies? And they are out doing it again. And again. :evil:

10. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

arming burglars

Another lesson to learn is that if you keep a gun in the home for protection, but you fail to keep it with you at all times, and fail to lock it or disable it when leaving the house, YOUR gun can become a BURGLAR'S GUN. Do you want to help arm some thug who has no respect for other people's property rights? Maybe somebody high on drugs, or whose brain is fried from sniffing glue, huffing gasoline, etc? If not, then don't leave your loaded and functioning pistol laying around the house when nobody is home.

When I leave, my pistol leaves with me. Other guns are locked up and/or disassembled with critical parts hidden or in the safe. If I come home at the wrong time and encounter a burglary in progress at my home, the only way he's going to be able to shoot at me would be if he brought his own gun to the scene of the crime, because he's darn sure not going to be using my own gun against me. (Lesson for him: Don't bring an expensive paperweight to a gunfight! ;-) :twisted:

11. ArmyJoe

ArmyJoe Guest

Material things can be replaced. The good thing is that you and your GF are safe! Defense in depth...... We ALL can do more to make it difficult for thugs to take our stuff and make our lives a hassle. Continuously improving our physical security is a never ending task. Crooks get smarter and bolder everyday. We have to stay a few steps ahead of them.