My first, "Why do you carry?" question.

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Watch_Their_Hands, May 20, 2007.

1. I was OCing in a local gas station this afternoon, where I have carried a dozen times or so over the last month, when the lady behind the counter asked, "So what do you do that you need to carry a gun?"

I amswered, "I'm licensed to carry a firearm. It's that easy."

She smiled, laughed and said, "Okay."

It amazes me how people think that if you are carrying it must be related to your occupation, or that perhaps you are a LEO. :lol:

2. legacy38

legacy38 Well-Known Member

"Because I value my own life and the lives of those that I love and want to be able to protect them."

3. MLS 4506

MLS 4506 Active Member

that is an excelent come back line 8) i may have to steal it :wink:

4. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I've yet to be asked this question, but I would probably respond with about the same thing Legacy said.

5. legacy38

legacy38 Well-Known Member

You may use it at will with no stealing required. :lol: :lol:

A footnote with proper citation in the bibliography would be nice though. :)

6. glockgirl

glockgirl Guest

Last night we went to IHOP at like 3 AM and my friend saw my Glock when I was buckling my seat belt. She asked me why I was carrying it and seeing as the IHOP was frequented by many drunk folks last night as usual I simply asked her "would you rather I not?" She said no and started laughing. it's funny some of my friends are confused as to why all of a sudden I make them eat at restaurants that don't serve alcohol for lunch or dinner!

I haven't yet had anyone that I don't know ask me about it. Mostly it is just my close friends that know and some of them don't agree with it but most are ok with it. I always offer to take them to the range and sometimes they take me up on the offer.

7. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

"Because you don't." *sinister grin*

8. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 10:13

Because if I have to go...I will go down with my finger on the trigger and brass flying.

And I can't throw a rock 1200 fps.

9. glockgirl

glockgirl Guest

I also told her the I can't carry a cop they are heavy and wiggle too much.

10. "And I can't throw a rock 1200 fps." Nice, GeorgiaGlocker. I like that.

11. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

I still like mine.

Although I'd never use it... it kinda goes entirely against what we're trying to do with the whole "good guy" image and educating people and things and stuff, but it's funny as hell.

12. +1. That's why I said what I said. :wink:

13. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 10:13

Please feel free to use it anytime. :)

14. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

Live. I'm very fond of living. :D

15. tace

tace New Member

I carry when I feel like I need the protection. I had coworkers who were robbed on the way to their cars from office in downtown Atlanta. There are plenty of shady characters there. If I am working late, then I am inclined to carry.

Most civilians I know who religously carry never need to use it, and if they do pull it out they end up doing it in a manner that is seen as instigating.

Now, its kinda ironic that the special forces guys I know usually don't carry while they are not on duty. Most of them don't even have a piece in their car. Then again, those guys usually don't need a handgun to kill someone :)

16. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

An unarmed special forces guy is just another victim.

17. Dan4010

Dan4010 New Member

Special Forces

I have found quite the opposite.. all the special forces guys I know ccw all the time......... I would never be without my gun, unless by law I have too...which drive me crazy sometimes.

18. Blackadder

Blackadder Guest

I used to give a long, thoughtful and informative reply to the question, but now I have simplified my anwer: "In case I need to shoot somebody".

That may sound flip, or smart-a$$ed, but if the person asking the question is offended I usally go on to explain that there are extreme circumstances where preservation of life can only be achived through lethal force.

I can think of very few events that would be more tragic and life-altering than taking the life of another person, even in self defence. That said, I carry a gun every day, fully prepared endure the consequences of such an action if I find myself in that circumstance. I think I owe that to the people who love me and have invested in my life.

19. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Wow, I bet you don't get many follow up questions! :lol:

20. Sine Nomen

Sine Nomen New Member

Because I have a narrow butt and my pants would fall down otherwise...