My first USPSA match

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by Dirty J, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Dirty J

Dirty J BANNED (not really)

I've been a firearms enthusiast for only around 5 years now... had a coworker that took me shooting one Saturday morning and that's all it took. I was hooked.

I jumped in to defensive pistol shooting just over one year ago and this weekend tried my first USPSA.

There are a lot of differences between IDPA/GAPDA style shooting and USPSA... mainly no cover/fault lines and no required shooting on the move while in the open.

What USPSA has on defensive pistol is the numerous ways a stage can be run. Forces you to really use your head while shooting.. which is a fairly hard skill to master. For most new competitive shooters... once that buzzer goes off... the mind shuts down!

I made a few mistakes. Forgot my stage plan once or twice... fumbled a reload here and there... even had a bad primer on the last stage that added some time.. but I had a blast and will forsure be back out at a USPSA in the future... might even take my CZ Scorpion and run in their pistol caliber carbine division.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u9FT2cbTOY[/ame]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  2. martin_j001

martin_j001 Active Member

Won't be next month since we'll be in the Sage class, but I'm definitely going to come out and try this with you sometime. I like the higher round count and use of steel, and of course the reloading practice. GADPA is a lot of fun, and I've enjoyed it greatly, but this looks like a lot of fun too in different ways. :)

3. Dirty J

What? No GADPA, Sage and USPSA?? Haha

Round count wasn't terribly higher... Although there was one less stage than the typical GADPA and there was a 10 round'er on this one.

I shot carry optics... which is a 10rd limit.. so I drop quite a few mags with 2-4 rounds. So I was carrying 5 mags on me. Especially for the last stage which needed a minimum of 32 rounds to complete.

4. martin_j001

Not sure I could sell the wife on that, and the munchkin might protest as well. ;) Not yet sure if I'll make the GADPA match or not even...

I guess I might just thinking overall round count from other USPSA vid's I've watched. I'd have to figure out what class I'd shoot in too.

5. Dirty J

I forget what you shoot? 1911? Glock?

If you're shooting a mildly modified striker fired gun in 9mm... shoot production. It's all scored minor, but there's also a 10rd mag limit.

If you're shooting an extremely modified glock or other DA/SA gun... You'll be in limited. Where you can also load down your mags.

Can also just shoot a striker gun in limited, even if it's not modified. You'll be at a disadvantage on the scoring, since maj/min applies, but you won't have to deal with so many nah changes.

Not sure on 1911's... since I don't shoot one; didn't pay much attention to their division(s)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  6. martin_j001

My gaming gun is a G34 with magwell and a few internal upgrades. Not having looked at the rules, I'm unsure if the magwell would push me into one class or the other...

7. Dirty J

Magwell would put you into Limited based on what I'm reading. Can pretty much do anything but an optic and a comp in Limited.

8. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

A few seconds into the video and am I the only one that saw something that just didn't look right?

You know, a table of people just on the right downrange?

9. Dirty J

Matches like this have a 180deg muzzle safety rule from the back berm... so there is some lateral shooting and when you're at the back.. you can certainly see some folks in the field of view.

You shoot at 89deg and you're ok. You shoot at 90deg and you go home.

10. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

They believe they are actually behind him, not down range. It's just the camera angle.

11. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

I guess they know what they're doing there with the layout, but seeing that camera angle just gave me a shiver.

12. Dirty J

The go pro camera angle is pretty wide... but I can totally see the concern. It's not the same as an indoor range for sure.

I don't disagree with your take... and will gladly share the feedback with the folks running the matches.