My first run-in with an anti while open carrying

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by mzmtg, Jun 27, 2006.

1. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

WARNING: The following account contains no pithy, hoplophobe-slaying remarks.

I was grocery shopping after work with my gun on my belt. I was at the Publix in Acworth on Baker Road.

Some lady comes up to me next to the ice cream case and says, "Can I ask you a question?"

I kept looking for the ice cream I wanted, but I knew what was coming, "Sure."

"Why are you carrying your weapon in here?" At least she had sense enough not to call it "that thing."

"I carry it to protect myself."

"Do you have a business card or anything?"

WTF? "No."

"Are you in law enforcement or anything like that?"

"No."

"Do you have a permit for it?"

"Yes."

"So why do you carry a gun?"

"Like I said, I carry it to protect myself."

"Who do you think you need protection from, people like me who are very unnerved by it?"

I finished up, chuckling, with, "I hope not."

With that, I just turned and went down the aisle, looking for the next item on my list.

Overall, pretty uneventful. Sure, there are TONS of smart azz comments I could have made at any point, but it wouldn't have done any good. I figured I'd do my part by being a clean cut guy, who isn't a cop, carrying a gun and not stirring up trouble.

2. wa4phy

wa4phy New Member

As paranoid as it seems people (or is that sheeple) are, I'm surprised someone from the Publix store did not ask you to leave, especially with your weapon open carried. I'm glad to hear there were no problems other than an inquiring little old lady!

3. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

She was a little young soccer mom type.

I've carried through that Publix plenty of times with no comment from the staff.

4. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

I find most supermarkets are pretty friendly to open carry. I shop Ingles alot and never got hassled once. I even had a cashier ask if I could un-holster so they could get a good look at what I was carrying. :shock:

The only places I have been kicked out of while openly carrying are Circuit City and Waffle House. I once had a hostess in Cracker Barrel ask to see my permit after asking me if I was a cop or something. I said I would be more than happy to show it to the General Manager or a LEO, but if she didn't fit either one of those criteria, then she was out of luck. I was openly carrying into a Napa auto store once and another customer kept looking at me. After I made my purchase and went to my car the customer followed me and asked if I could tell him where he could get a permit to carry as well :D

All in all nothing too terribly bad. There is one bad incident I had while carrying concealed into a McDonalds a few years ago. Maybe sometime I will regail you all with that tale. :oops:

5. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

It wasn't 1991 was it? Are you Burns? Are you serious?

6. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Please start a new topic with this one, I like to hear about these things.

7. Malum Prohibitum

I disagree most strongly.

This was perfect. There is no need to humiliate anybody to be an ambassador. Chuckling and remarking "I hope not" now puts her in the position of realizing that you, sir, were simply buying ice cream, and she was the one being aggressive. While I probably would have corrected her grammar (including ending a prepositional phrase with a preposition), your polite response was as perfect as it comes.

My guess is she thought about it a lot after leaving and realized that you were indeed no threat to her or anybody else at the store.

:)

8. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

She must not have been too "unnerved" if she felt confident enough to confront the big bad gun toting skeery man! :lol:

9. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

:lol: I'm only 5' 6".

She was kind of crouching down behind her grocery cart. I should have informed that a cart is not hard cover, or even concealment, really.

10. Malum Prohibitum

No way! Now, that would have made her think packers are scary. Your response was perfect as-is.

11. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

What was your response to this? Unless I miss my guess if you withdraw from your holster you leave yourself open to being charged with "brandishing"....

12. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Although the statute does not call it "brandishing," the index to the statutes has an entry for "brandishing," and it refers the reader to OCGA 16-11-102:

16-11-102.
    A person is guilty of a misdemeanor when he intentionally and without legal justification points or aims a gun or pistol at another, whether the gun or pistol is loaded or unloaded.

This tells me that if you follow standard safety practices when handling firearms, you are not commiting an offense if you unholster and display your weapon in response to a request from someone to see it (i.e., you would not be pointing it at anybody).

13. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Funny. She was so scared of you that she walked up and started a conversation.

14. Taurus

Taurus New Member

Yep, I know just that Publix...I'm 2 minutes from it..I've open carried in there and have never had an issue...Sounds like you handled it pretty durn good...

15. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

Serious? Yes. Happened in 1991 or am I Mr. Burns? Afraid not. Though with what similarity that it happened to me would probably make him squirm.

16. Malum Prohibitum

Well, start another thread and tell us about it!

This stuff is interesting reading. :wink:

17. Mightyflapjack

Mightyflapjack New Member

Scared Response.

Soccer Moms would rather not see the violence in the world. They want violence to be something 'on TV' or war in some distant land.

By open carrying a weapon, you are destroying her illusion of security.

I believe in my heart that woman and men are equal.

But it is an elegant example of how giving women the right to vote has been the downfall of how our society now views and controls weapons.

18. Malum Prohibitum

I disagree most strongly.

This was perfect. There is no need to humiliate anybody to be an ambassador. Chuckling and remarking "I hope not" now puts her in the position of realizing that you, sir, were simply buying ice cream, and she was the one being aggressive. While I probably would have corrected her grammar (including ending a prepositional phrase with a preposition), your polite response was as perfect as it comes.

My guess is she thought about it a lot after leaving and realized that you were indeed no threat to her or anybody else at the store.

:)

19. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

What he failed to mention was that he pistol-whipped everyone on his way out of the store.

Seriously, great job, mzmtg. You handled it very well and hopefully made her think about the issue.

20. LonelyMachines

LonelyMachines New Member

I doubt she was "unnerved." Most likely looking for an argument, or a chance to call the police on the "bad man," after which she'd bask in the adoration of her friends for having "done the right thing."